Juniors

Thorgnor

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re:Cormier hit

[color:purple]Is this the right thread for this?

Team Canada's world junior captain Patrice Cormier was ejected from a QMJHL game in overtime on Sunday when he delivered a head shot to Quebec Remparts defenceman Mikael Tam.

Cormier, a forward for the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies, came off the bench for a line change and cut through the faceoff circle at centre ice, laying what appeared to be an elbow on Tam in open ice.

Video of the hit can be found here.

Following the hit, Tam was convulsing on the ice before being taken off on a stretcher. The 18-year-old defenceman suffered trauma to the skull and brain and lost many teeth.

"This Cormier elbow is sickening on so many levels. I have never been so discouraged about the game of hockey as now."

What do you guys think? I think its fucking awful.

Here's the hit. (hit is at the 1 minute mark)

Edited by Guest
Added purple sweetness.

That's sick (in a bad way!)

So utterly blatant is the intent to injure on that play that Cormier should be suspended and/or ejected from hockey for good.

How can they make such heinous plays be penalized more? Player suspension/explusion, yes. What about a team penalty of some sort too? Something that would cause even more harm to the offending player's team than simply being short handed? Somehow instilling that your actions are not simply about yourself but your entire team and fanbase too.

On a somewhat similar note. I was at the St Mike's Majors game yesterday (my boy and his team had a 50min game prior to the OHL boys coming on the ice ). During the Majors' game there was a penalty called that I had never seen the ref's signal for before. "Head Check". Seems it was introduced about 8 years ago in the OHL.

The video you linked to obviously is not just a head check, but much much more. Ugly.

If there were more cameras at that game I'm sure profile angles would show the nastiness of that elbow. Hit with that force (skating halfway across the rink to do it) could have completely snapped his neck. Absolutely vicious.

Here's his protruding elbow taking out a Swede. Not nearly as bad as the QMHL one, but easily could have been:

i sure wouldn't feel sorry for him if he got turfed from Junior Hockey for good. Especially representing our country.

Guest Low Roller

Apparently Patrick Roy (coach of the Quebec Rempart) approached the Surete de Quebec (provincial police) after the incident and a criminal investigation has started.

(Hypocritical for someone who orders his sons to fight during games).