Jambands.ca

Can a popular band suck?

CyberHippie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a number of people are alluding to, it really all comes down to personal taste. Heck, I was making fun of all of us earlier (especially Kung, obviously I am going to have to work on my skills)

"Perhaps it would be better if we just used expressions like 'Gay' or 'Retarded'"

I find myself agreeing with that crazy Kung more often than I had before. I dont know why, but inside of his histrionic insightfulness, he raises some good points.

So, I am going to try and let go of my cry-baby-loveme-laugh-atme attitude for a second (A Quick One).

Personally, I dont think anything *really* "sucks". I would think most of the members (that I know) dont either. I may not like it, and I may not get it, but that's it. How does Zappa sound to you? How does the Bronski Beat sound to you? How does Hank Williams sound to you?

Speaking in any verbal language sucks, how about we leave it at that?

"One thing, one thing, leads to another.............."

[Wink]

(By the way, that is a really cool review of BSS, and I havent heard a note of theirs. Seems like I should. I might like them, I might not.)

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

(By the way, that is a really cool review of BSS, and I havent heard a note of theirs. Seems like I should. I might like them, I might not.)

I've heard a few looooooong notes from BSS and I can't say I liked what I heard. Their music didn't suck, but it also didn't punch me in the face, pick me back up and kick my ass all over the road either.

I've been getting behind on this one. Just wanted to say that I wasn't saying 'I' discovered Broken Social Scene and that makes me a music afficianado. Pitchfork Media 'discovered' them without being Canadian or having any sentimentality or understanding for the Toronto music scene. Pitchfork is the quintessential ACTUAL music afficianado site. Their BSS review was one of the factors that really made them popular, or at least put them on the map in the states- the pitchfork article I mean. It's one of the best written and over the top gushy music critiques I've ever read.

And not getting BSS or the Flaming Lips even remotely just betrays your ignorance. 'Taste' and 'Suck' are as we've all been over and over relative to the individual. As Joyce said 'Home, Christ, Master, Ale, how different in your mouth than mine'. 'Good' and 'Bad' aren't that relative though but then you get into a Zen and the Art of Motorcyclish discussion about Quality and how we recognize it. Robert Fripp called something similar Craft as evidenced by a similarly unperceptible mental checklist if you like including 'seeming effortlessness', 'fluidity of line', 'virtuosity' etc. Perhaps it would be better if we just used expressions like 'Gay' or 'Retarded'.

quote:

I wish I could convey to you just how perfectly this record pulls off that balancing act, how incredibly catchy and hummable these songs are, despite their refusal to resort to oversimplicity or blatant pandering. I wish I could convey how they've made just exactly the kind of pop record that stands the test of time, and how its ill-advised packaging and shudder-inducing bandname seem so infinitesimal after immersing yourself in the music. And I hate to end this saying, "You just have to hear it for yourself." But oh my god, you do. You just really, really do.

OK - I guess I need to clarify things. I lumped moe in with the electronic bands I listed and from the way I wrote it, it looks like I had them listed as an electronic/trance, etc band. The fact is I just lumped them in that category by mistake, and really because I was thinking of bands I really dislike. Sorry for the confusion.

Obviously there is a huge fanbase for .moe and a small but feverish following for bands like Nero, but to say I have never heard anything by those bands is ridiculous. Most of you people don't even know what I listen to, the same way I don't know what you have listened to.

I would have to disagree that Nero is not electronic. Maybe not as much as other people, but way too much for my liking. This is all my opinion, and as so eloquently stated earlier - opinions are like assholes. I have seen and heard enough from both moe and Nero to know that I would rather concentrate my listening energy and money somewhere else.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

Personally, I dont think anything *really* "sucks". I would think most of the members (that I know) dont either. I may not like it, and I may not get it, but that's it. How does Zappa sound to you? How does the Bronski Beat sound to you? How does Hank Williams sound to you?

Here, here Booche! (Ya crazy ole hippy bastard, ya.)

BTW, I was re-reading some of that Robert Fripp site I quoted from earlier. I don't know if I totally agree with this, but if you're interested you can read a bit on the principle of "objective art" on this page:

http://www.progressiveears.com/frippbook/ch12.htm (scroll to the bottom section)

BTW CH don't know if anyone thanked you for posting this question but it turned out to be quite a good one! [smile]

- M.

Well, mass popularity or mass appeal doesn't usually equate to mass abilities. Take Mr.M's parallels with food tastes, McDonald's has served a billion or more people some stank-nasty cardboard burgers with a side order of what-in-the-hell-is-this and yet alot of folks say McDonald's suck. Well how can they suck when they're so damned popular?

What about the fact that a hole-in-the-wall restaurant can sometimes serve food that's incredibly good, whereas a big, shiny, popular restaurant can serve up garbage? What we like about that small restaurant is what we like about homegrown music...intimacy, attention to detail and the feeling that if they're working hard to show their customers a good time.

Archived