Jambands.ca

Final Battlestar Galactica episode is on tonight!

Jaimoe

Space is actually airing the entire second-half of Season IV right now (it started at 11am) leading up to the finale at 9pm. The Fox Theatre in Toronto's Beaches is airing the finale too!It's been a very strong year and great second half of the season. I'm sad the series is ending, but it's been a great and dark ride.

how will you fit it into your World of Warcraft schedule??

Joke all you want' date=' but the show is brilliant and appeals to non sci-fi geeks as well as the BradMs and badams' of the world.[/quote']

This BradM hasn't ever watched it. Others might have, though.

Aloha,

Brad

how will you fit it into your World of Warcraft schedule??

Joke all you want' date=' but the show is brilliant and appeals to non sci-fi geeks as well as the BradMs and badams' of the world.

[/quote']

anyone who knows me knows that i always joke all i want ;)

Starbuck looks good in those pictures.

BTW, Ellen, played by Kate Vernon, is the daughter of the late great Canadian character actor John Vernon, he of Animal House, Dirty Harry, Point Blank and Wojeck fame:

JohnVernon.jpg

And from bradm, I find it illogical that you've never watched Battlestar Galactica, given your geek status cemented with your love of Babylon 5 and Harlan Ellison.

And from bradm, I find it illogical that you've never watched Battlestar Galactica, given your geek status cemented with your love of Babylon 5 and Harlan Ellison.

You forgot my fondness for "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," "Angel," "Xena," and "Firefly," too. One of the reasons, I think, is that BSG doesn't seem to have the same sense of whimsy that B5, Ellison, Buffy, etc., often have; it comes across as dark and gritty for far too much of the time to be palatable to me. ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" suffers from the same problem. Note that I'm not saying the B5, Ellison, Buffy, etc., are whimsical all the time, they're not, and can be starkly dramatic when they need to be [e.g., the Buffy episode that dealt with the death of her mother]; it's just that the tone is more varied.) With shows like Buffy and Angel and B5, and the works of Ellison, I can suspend my disbelief (e.g., the episode of Angel when Angel got turned into a muppet, or the musical episode of Buffy; both of those aren't just humourous to watch, their forms challenge the basic ideas of what a television show can present*) and enjoy the ride, and the wonder and imagination of what's being presented to me.

It's entirely possible that what I find most rewarding about B5, Ellison, Buffy, etc., is actually present in BSG, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it. (Please do if it's there.)

Aloha,

Brad

* I remember one Philip K. Dick-esque episode of "Hercules" which took place in what seemed to be our present world, with our actor Kevin Sorbo playing an actor named Kevin Sorbo who starred in a TV show called "Hercules." The actor had a problem, though: he was actually Hercules.

You are right to some extent about the darkness and lack of whimsy with BSG, but that's a big reason why it works. At the same time, characters like Starbuck and Saul Tigh (my avatar) make me laugh because they are mean S.O.B.'s with severe drinking and violence problems. Hey, BSG isn't depressing, it's just dark. Dr. Baltar is fucking hilarious. He's an insane weasel of the utmost order and one of the best characters on TV right now. On an aside, Angel was accused of not being light enough, but it worked for me.

I found Babylon 5 not overly whimsical. Some of the episodes were darn right depressing (in a good way). For me, Farscape was the best pure sci-fi series (and I said "pure") since Star Trek (the original series).

What do you think of Dollhouse, Joss's new show? It's getting better and better. I hope it makes it, but I won't be shocked if it doesn't. Growers instead of showers don't do well anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

Helo's role in Dollhouse might be the most successful out of that list. I've only seen the first 2 episodes, and it's off to a good start.

They didn't mention Tricia's role in Chuck where she was evaluating Chuck and Sarah's relationship.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://scifiwire.com/2009/06/battlestars-olmos-reveals.php

Battlestar's Olmos reveals why The Plan will leave you gasping

Edward James Olmos, who directed the upcoming DVD movie Battlestar Galactica: The Plan, told an audience of fans that the film will deliver exactly what they expect it to: The Plan shows the Cylons' perspective on their attempted genocide of humanity.

"I gotta tell you, not to give anything away, it is exactly what you think it is," Olmos said in a panel discussion Thursday night in Hollywood as part of the Los Angeles Times series The Envelope. "You see the complete opposite of the first 281 days of what we went through, ... seen through the eyes of the Cylons, and it is breathtaking. It's fantastic. It's not fun, but I will say that you will sit there [gasping]."

Perhaps The Plan will also drive sales of BSG complete-season DVDs. "Basically, you will go back to see the series again," Olmos said. "I couldn't have imagined this kind of a situation happening at the end of a show, where you would actually start at the beginning. That's a masterful piece of understanding, Ron [Moore]. Genius. Because after you see The Plan, you'll want to go back and view the whole series again."

The DVD release of The Plan will feature more than 30 minutes of additional Cylon perspective than will air in the version that will air on SCI FI. "The Plan is 2 hours and 6 minutes long the way you're going to have it on the DVD. When you see it aired, it's going to be 88 minutes."

Olmos gave credit to writer Jane Espenson, who wrote the entire script, and his lead actor. "I have to tell you right now, Dean Stockwell is a brilliant artist," Olmos said. "He does a magnificent job of leading The Plan. The Plan is exactly that. It was how they planned to do what they did and what happened. It was monumental. All I can tell you is it's an extraordinary look at the Cylons, how they masterminded what they did."

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan is due in September.

• 4 months later...