Jambands.ca

To digitize and dump or keep and cherish??

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I suspect that a large majority of people on this message board have rather sizable music collections so my question will probably resonate with most of you:

Should I digitize my entire CD collection and get rid of the physical manifestations of the album, or should I keep those plastic cases and build my collection like a bookcase?

How do you all manage to maintain order in your collections?

If it seriously massive why not show it off? Unless you are starving and need some pork and bean money, you are only going to get fractions of what you spent.

Perhaps you can cut yourself off. Stop allowing yourself to buy cd's. Just download albums and send each member of the band a personalized cheque...

Guest Low Roller
I've digitized my CDs but if I had space I'd display the choice cuts, I've kept them in boxes to rot as it is.

Well that's my issue. My CDs have been in boxes ever since I moved to the UK (about 5 years), so now I am going through them and wondering if I should sell them while they still have some sort of market value and have not become totally obsolete.

The best part about digitizing your whole collection is that you have to handle every single CD - I just digitized over 1800 CD's - kept them all as wave files($400 for a 1TB RAID that plugs into your network! Why not?) but the best part was that I held each CD - many of my CD's mean more than just the music on them because I can remember the time in my life if not the place where I bought them or some circumstances...they are the soundtrack to my life. If they meant nothing to me I ripped them and sold them...but at a $1/CD is it worth it to part with your whole collection? Not really. Check on Amazon and Ebay for the rare ones and maximize your bucks that way for sure....but just find a corner for them somewhere unless you are in a bachelor with no space... Mine are all on shelves in a spare room - man my living room looks huge now!

digitize!!!!!

i did it a year ago and have never looked back. i kept anything that (i felt) was special or had special meaning to me, and those are in a box in the basement... i sold it all and bought a 1TB.

now that its all catalogued, it feels like its even more at my fingertips. i love it.

oh, one thing to consider though, my ipods are my main source of music. so. each stereo in my house/car is set up accordingly.

I believe things such as iPods get lost and "fry" from time to time, so don't come crying to all your friends looking for free downloads when it happens. Keep the CDs. I have two friends that lost all their albums and now want a crack at my record collection. I told them to take a hike.

We digitized, backed everything up and bought a new tv with the money we got for the CDs. We don't miss the CD's at all. We never used CD's anymore anyway. If worse comes to worse and you lose stuff, any album you get the desire to listen to is only 5 minutes away. It wouldn't take long before most of it was back. But that would likely not happen if you backed it all up.

I believe things such as iPods get lost and "fry" from time to time, so don't come crying to all your friends looking for free downloads when it happens. Keep the CDs. I have two friends that lost all their albums and now want a crack at my record collection. I told them to take a hike.

Well if your friends had some brains they would have kept a back-up hard-drive as we all know that they do fail over time. So make sure you back-up your whole collection if you take this route.

I believe things such as iPods get lost and "fry" from time to time' date=' so don't come crying to all your friends looking for free downloads when it happens. Keep the CDs. I have two friends that lost all their albums and now want a crack at my record collection. I told them to take a hike. [/quote']

Well if your friends had some brains they would have kept a back-up hard-drive as we all know that they do fail over time. So make sure you back-up your whole collection if you take this route.

I know! Idiots. I do know that my one friend - who refused to buy anything (which infuriates me to no end) - doesn't back-up anything. I hope his iPod breaks.

I have two friends that lost all their albums and now want a crack at my record collection. I told them to take a hike.

Harsh. You forgot to put quotes or purple emphasis on 'friends.'

I buy everything and I'm not going to be someone's free music library. Fuck 'em.

How do you all manage to maintain order in your collections?

I do both with retail & live recordings, I keep the CDs & digitalize them (not all, but a lot). I buy about 70% of my retail releases, and download the rest, yep, I'm a music pirate sometimes. Arrrr.

But, since I still trade rather often I need to keep the data versions of live shows and seeing as my collection is rather large I'd need to have at least five or six 1TB HDDs just to store it - currently I have one 1TB and two 330GB HDDs pretty much filled with shows. I lost count of my burned CDs sometime after 3k.I backup most live recordings on DVDs now-a-day to save HDD & CD bookcase space.

I will be purging hundreds of them (bands I just don't listen to anymore - mostly jambands) some time soon, so I'll more then likely offer them up for B&P, before I consider throwing them out. I'll post a list when its figured out.

Guest Low Roller

I think I'm going down the digitize & dump route. I'll keep a few albums for nostalgia's sake, but I foresee a future with a wall mounted digital jukebox with an AMX touch screen controller and a remote, with random playlist generation based on genre and mood settings and speakers wired around the house hooked up to motion sensors, triggering only when someone is in the room.