Jambands.ca

Plants and Animals at Blacksheep with Barrs opener

bouche

It was suggested that this bit of news was easily missed and that it was odd how there weren't any posts about it.

The opener for Sunday's Plants and Animals show at the Sheep is Berithen Berio, which is Brad and Andrew Barr's new project. Slip forum please.

From Pop Montreal here is a descripion of Berithen Berio...

This psychotropic duo landed in Montreal four years ago from Providence, Rhode Island. Comprised of brothers Brad and Andrew Barr, their performance weaves together intricacies and amusement while unfolding magical and energizing stories. The many years spent playing music in countless musical projects they have yet to fully offer their explorations as a duo to the public’s senses.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

care to give us a little review or a setlist?
Here is the [Plants and Animals] setlist from last night:

Good Friend

Feedback in the Field

Sparks *new*

Future From 1980 *new*

Mama Papa *new*

Mercy

Guru/Sinnerman

Bye Bye Bye

ENCORE: Faerie Dance

I think it was my third time seeing P&A, and I enjoyed their set (which an hour and ten minutes, including the encore; I think the show was over around 11:00pm) a lot more than the other times I've seen them.

Berithan Berio was also really good, and wasn't just the Barr brothers: Sarah Page played harp. I didn't keep a set list, but there were some slip tunes ("Suffocation Keep", "D'Gary"), some Brad Barr tunes ("Sarah Through The Wall"), some old blues, etc.

Aloha,

Brad

I trust BradM to know the song titles best, I meant to get a proper setlist from Brad but they had played the same set the night before at a fest FME in Abitibi so I might still be able to track it down.

It was my first time seeing the boys in years having kept loose tabs on them and sporadic chats- my sense was they were greatly invigorated by playing with Sarah who is an exquisite harpist, composer and improviser. The songs had a fair amount of range but seemed like fairly compact and loaded compositions.

I suspected the music was about %85 composed with wiggle room for improvisation, Andrew later put it at about %75 and said as one would expect that the improvisations would come at the outro. They rocked into some more decidedly Slippish territory with Brad playing some hot licks and Andrew hammering away on among other things an old roaster with mallets.

This seems to be a time or a context that is really working for them. Brad looked healthy and seemed well, Andrew was the lion on a rock as usual and Sarah's background in classical music engendered her to the Barr brothers gracious approach to the stage - which to my mind is what is definitive to their sound- which is to say their intention.

Truly a beautiful night with a lot of beautiful people, friends from along the way, and even those who fell along the wayside.

I think the new name should be Super Anglo. Brad mentioned how they'd played with Sarah as SuperLittle, Barr Bros, Brethren Berio and were entertaining ideas for names during the show. Prior to the show in theirs and the Animals green room I had just made an offhand remark having never been to Wakefield, 'this is a super anglo town eh?'.

Brad looked at me knowingly, which I didn't connect at the time and went 'Super Anglo'.

Pompe le bass et let's go!

Great night, excellent way to cap off my Ottawa trip! Both bands threw it down to a packed house of hungry listeners...First time at the Blackesheep, truly a special place.

Great to run into Ms. Hux, Bouche(who thought it was halloween and dressed like Brad Barr) and a radiant Douglas. Also great that Andre wasn't there! hehehe

Blurasis... welcome to the community. I notice that we're already contacts on Flickr.

I took a small number of photos which I haven't posted up yet. I've been super lazy today and you know you're lazy if you can't upload a few photos to flickr.

That was a really excellent show to attend. I really dugg the heavy ass blues that brad and andrew pulled out. Sarah didn't get to play in those tracks. The "Sarah through the wall" composition story is a great one and I think helps people really appreciate the song, especially since she's up there on the harp playing too. The crowd gave back some nice applause at the end of it.

Thanks to douglas for getting us there and home safe and sound. It's nice to go to Wakefield for a good show and also get to experience it with some friends who came from out of town.