Jambands.ca

Plants and Animals at Blacksheep with Barrs opener

bouche

Hey I've got some great pics up on my facebook (Luke Bowden- friend me if we're not already) I'd love it if some of you checked them out. Bouche already tagged himself in a great shot of Brad, Andrew and Sarah leaving the stage with Mike with a shit eating grin on his face.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fantastic night, except I kept looking around for Velvet and he wasn't there. :(

Holy packed batman! The Blacksheep was hot and insane! I have never seen it even close to being that full before. Everyone was sin good spirits.

Barr Brothers opening was amazing. So many times I overheard people saying "I can't believe it's only two guys and a harp up there, the sound is so full." They weren't kidding. Great, great set.

That was my first Plants and Animals experience and though I could barely see the stage (at the Blacksheep! A place that's usually so intimate? I know!) Everything I heard was fan-bloody-tastic. Great talents and great songs.

I do love me some Eric Warren. Mmmm mmmm mmm!

Thanks Lynners!

No, I'm the Luke Bowden from Toronto.

Great seeing all of you. Andrew and Brad were in super great spirits (although the thimblefulls of Jamieson's by the van periodically certainly added to the jubilance, theirs and Plants and Animals beer rider didn't hurt either). This is going to be an unbelievably great configuration for them.

And yes I'm glad you loved the quiche Brad, thanks so much for you and Zaid getting us down. For the culinary set it was a quiche with a base of candied sweet potatoes covered with the egg, cream mixture (accented by fresh thyme, sea salt, cracked black pepper, basil and oregano), then a layer of curried roasted peaches and cream corn sauteed with leeks, topped with a layer of zucchini slices and double brie on top. So dope quiche.

And yes I think you're right Sharon that they made a lot of new fans in the Plants and Animals set. People were definitely into it.

Edited by Guest

^ I gotta get me some more of that next time you are in town Luke. Had a great night as well. Tell Kate I enjoye her company (the letsmockLuke'phrenia included).

Yeah Ming, I was surprised they didn't play Lola Who, A L'oree des bois, and New Kind of Love.

I saw them last night at University of Ottawa, free outdoor show but the environment was uhhh 101 week silly stuff, so...yeah. The band was great though. I asked Nick about that setlist and he told me they had planned New Kind of Love and maybe some others but when everyone got up they launched Guru/Sinnerman but they weren't intially planning on playing it.

letsmockLuke'phrenia

Welcome to the scene Zaid (and Kate and I both found you to be an able and upright young man) but I think you will find, perhaps not surprisingly, that letsmockLuke'phrenia is a fairly common occurence in person, internet and such (at least in these, well, in most parts).

And congrats on busting your quiche hymen!

Here's the setlist for all intersted:

01.Hello I'm A Monster

02.Ooh Belle

03.Deacon's Son

04.tuning/banter

05.Sarah Through The Wall

06.I Can't Keep From Crying, Sometimes

07.Untitled (D'Gary)

08.tuning/banter

09.Suffocation Keep

really enjoyed it, bailed before P&A and was home in Mtl before midnight.

oops. well, i was close. that song is a 10 Years After tune.

Actually, I believe Blind Willie Johnson wrote the orginal version (Lord, I can't keep from cryin' sometimes), and then Al Kooper wrote the version that Ten Years After plays. So, you were correct the first time.

I have a album called Whats shakin' and that track is on it, performed by Paul Butterfield Blues Band (Al Kooper playing with them) its from 66, so around the same time Al Kooper was playing with Blues Project.

Edited by Guest
spelling errors galore

.....and a radiant Douglas.....

Fuck, eh? Brings me to my knees........

I hate admitting I missed you dicksmack but I would have loved seeing Plants And Animals more. Hope you kids either bought Parc Avenue or buy it in the near future. And yes. Plants And Animals better become the new Slip.

I'm really happy a number of folks were able to make it out to this. Good on ya'll. zero, I hit your facebook pics, a few great perspectives on your shots.

That's a debatable statement at best albeit the Slip haven't translated to album particularly well. I'd agree more with the fact that Plants and Animals captures the zeitgeist of a certain moment in Canadian independent music more fully than the Slip have been able to in the broader American market.

As biased as I am and as skilled as P&A are it was glaringly evident that they don't have nearly the musical education or range and that their definitive mode is rocking out with their cocks out. While that is a strong point for the Slip they also manage to break hearts and make hearts in a way that I just don't get from P&A (barring say a handful of songs).