Jambands.ca

Plants and Animals at Blacksheep with Barrs opener

bouche

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plants And Animals better become the new Slip.

How is that even possible? Granted' date=' they are a very good and rocking three piece, but they have nowhere near the level of skill or talent as The Slip.

[/quote']

Why isn't it possible? I would tend to believe your brother meant in terms of popularity here at jambands or dare I say, within the music scene we all enjoy. Afterall, they are a Canadian band, and a good one at that, worthy of support just as much as some transplanted American band. As for skill & talent, I'd hope the Slip would have the upperhand being around a near decade longer to hone their talents and sound.

As for comparing the two, and with a mere > I guess I could easily say OCMS > Slip.

See where I am going?

[

Why isn't it possible? I would tend to believe your brother meant in terms of popularity here at jambands or dare I say, within the music scene we all enjoy. Afterall, they are a Canadian band, and a good one at that, worthy of support just as much as some transplanted American band.

yes, that is entirely possible. I'd love to see Plants and Animals open for The Slip. Then in context, you could say Plants and Animals > Slip.

You're right that the album is very strong. However would the band have gone as far as they have without being shortlisted for the Polaris? Further would they have been shortlisted for the Polaris without a necessity to represent Quebecois groups thereby benefiting from two layers of cancon insulation. These are not so much criticisms as reasonable acknowledgements of some of the benefits P&A has received by being (understandably) critical darlings in a self-serving parochial market like Canada (that has, yes, produced a reasonable number of international phenomenas as of late and of course historically).

They're no Chilliwack though.

They made the music and the album before the Polaris nomination, and before anyone made them 'critical darlings'

You spoke of a necessity to include Quebecois groups for the Polaris award, and whether that's true or not is debatable - What I don't understand is the necessity to compare and rank them to a very different band. If we're gonna go that route, well, Slip, what have you done for me lately? I used to love you, but aren't you a chronic underachiever?

I don't disagree with anything you've said AD. But yes there is clearly an effort to include Quebecois and francophone artists like Malajube in the past- those groups likely deserve inclusion but there does seem to be some sort of quota. As far as chronic underachievement that's a pretty legit criticism. I found myself telling Brad that this new trio with Sarah (as of this afternoon he was leaning towards Anglo Berio although I think Anglo Barrios makes a hell of a lot more sense) had a new fire in his belly. To which he asked 'so I didn't have a fire in my belly for awhile'. I left that one largely unanswered.

I found myself telling Brad that this new trio with Sarah had a new fire in his belly. To which he asked 'so I didn't have a fire in my belly for awhile'. I left that one largely unanswered.

Let's hope he and whoever he finds himself playing with can add a few more logs to the fire and get back on his / their game! His instrumental guitar album had some great tracks on it.

I know it's been said but the almost entirely there for P&A audience seemed genuinely moved and marvelled that it was 'only 3 people up there'. I heard some knowledgeable remarks also that this material engendered itself better to Brad's sometimes winnowing voice (a common criticism as perhaps the sole reason they haven't accomplished more critically or economically). Hopefully that plays itself out.

with all the press that eisenhower got it makes such little sense that pitchfork of all sites didn't do a review. it was easily the best album of 2006. i was really happy to see P&A getting written up in pitchfork though

brad has so much damn material, he needs to be releasing stuff with ALL of his bands. i never understand why he is so hesitant

I didn't know about the Pitchfork 8.0 but it does countermand a lot of what I was saying. Look at the same point I can't see P&A engendering the kind of loyalty the Slip have in their fanbase which stretches across remote pockets of North America and they're no slouches in Japan (The Slippers!). Perhaps as we all know they're best as a live band, perhaps a band with the pejorative 'jamband' tag can never get its due, likely as we all know Eisenhower wasn't a superior product despite the workshopping of the songs live and their many epic renditions. Remember too that for all of it's arbiter of coolness it's not like Pitchfork doesn't wear it's biases very boldly on their sleeve. The Slip just ain't their cup of tea. Even with a killer album I could still see the inevitable 'guitar wank', 'jamband', 'noodle dance', 'great unwashed' references littering a review which is just lazy and again speaks to their bias. Sure Pitchfork is a great guide and almost always on the ball but they like a certain sort of music and are very exacting in their swift dismissals.

• 3 weeks later...