Jambands.ca

Ya Baby! Kessel is a Leaf.

PassedOutGuy

Now whose gonna feed him the puck?

From TSN: The drama surrounding Phil Kessel has finally come to an end as the Boston Bruins have traded their disgruntled sniper to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for a first and a second round pick in 2010, and a first round pick in 2011. Kessel and the Maple Leafs then quickly agreed to terms on a new five-year, $27 million deal

Way to go Burke. Good to see a young player with talent being sought after like this. The deal doesn't seem out of whack in the league the way it is today. Burke's moves will hopefully show some other players that he IS serious about getting a contender built. As stated here already, we'll have to wait and see how it does/doesn't gel and what young talent will rise to the top and surprise us.

As long as all of the young prospects in the organization turn out to be as good as the Leafs think they are going to, this is a great move. But if they don't pan out, those are three crucial picks to lose out on. Fingers crossed...

I completely agree. They have some nice young players now who will hopefully develop into some solid players. This allows them to give up the 2 first rounders. But man is it scary knowing the history of the Leafs luck on these decisions. But until proven otherwise, I trust Burke. This team is so much better and he has been here that long.

I'm optimistic in that Burke is looking for young talent and following through.

He seems to have an equation that he is sticking to and seems to be putting it together slowly and deliberately.

Anxious to see where he takes the Leafs in the next couple seasons.....with crossed fingers.

Guest Low Roller

Yes Kessel is a first round pick, however my point was regarding first round picks who are affordable because they are on entry level contracts. Toronto's strategy seems to be to overpay a select group of players, and then fill out the roster with cheap scrubs rather than those cheap highly touted prospects. Risky strategy, but it's workable.

Sidebar: My fiancee is a Leafs fan which makes things tense sometimes when it comes to discussing decor around the future TV room, however I just found out that my future father-in-law is a Habs fan! WIN!

He seems to have an equation that he is sticking to and seems to be putting it together slowly and deliberately.

While I agree that Burke has "an equation" (and I honestly have liked many of his moves), trading draft picks for roster players is the EXACT OPPOSITE of "slowly and deliberately"!!

I don't think the media/fanbase/MLSE is going to let him do things slowly.

In fact, Savard drew an assist on 22 of Kessel’s 36 goals last season, with a whopping 17 of those being first assists. That means almost half of Kessel’s goals came on direct feeds from one of the league’s most talented set-up men.

With all due respect, you can bet Kessel won’t be seeing those kinds of looks from Matt Stajan.