Jambands.ca

ISO: The Slip At Evolve Recording

otherones90210

I checked SlipBase, and found

08/24/2001: Evolve Music Festival: Antigonish, NS

Set I: Don't Foil the Mohel, (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands, Yoyo My Little Brown-Eyed Babushka, Dogs on Bikes

Notes: [Joe Budzelek - joebudzjoeATaol.com - 3/14/2005]

but they did two sets at the following year's Evolve:

08/23/2002: Evolve Festival: Antigonish, NS

Set I: Slide Dragonfly Mayhem (no other words, strange intro), Dear Melina, Get Me with Fuji, ???, breezy intro> Nellie Jean* 6) Drum and Bass outside exploration%, Sometimes True To Nothing&, Sorry$

Set I: Catacea> Dear Melina> Get Me with Fuji, Witch In The Kitchen, Nellie Jean> Tenfold, Sometimes True To Nothing, Sorry Notes: I'm pretty sure that is Catacea cleantone - Fri Aug 26 21:17:33 EDT 2005

Notes: Luke Bowden: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 16:50:33 (CST)

* Nellie was wistful as always but really built, was all Marc in a way, very progressive bass solo initially and (my) recording cuts at 15 minutes as Marc is laying into a monstrous distorted solo:

% could be Tenfold your guess is as good as mine, tigthens up near the end into more recognizable phrases but returns to main intro theme to close

& Brad's vocals aren't really hitting early on and it progresses into what may be a somewhat frustrated/inspired version. Very rocky in the least and Brad's vocal delivery sounds a bit like an anguished Jeff Buckley putting off his crowd with a Kanga Roo cover.

$ Just a really strong rendition. Marc later told me he'd played it for me cause he knew I liked it, but I get the sense Marc tells everyone what they want to hear.

08/24/2002: Evolve Festival: Antigonish, Nova Scotia

Set I: intro> Through the Iron Gate> ?*, Witch in the Kitchen#, 7th House%, ?$, ?@, If One of Us Should Fall, Fire-dancer jam> ?^

Set I: Through the Iron Gates, Aptos, Johnny's Tune, Rainmaker, Dogs on Bikes, If One Of Us Should Fall, Wolof [ cleantone - Fri Aug 26 21:15:33 EDT 2005 - need to fix this, but many discrepancies to resolve and want to keep the Notes connected (ed.) ]

Notes: Luke Bowden: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 at 16:55:51 (CST). * very drum and bass, echoed long outside portion night before could also be Tenfold. # I know they told me Witch was played so this would be my bet for where Witch fits into the setlist. % Brad's new tune which listeners have talked about, 'spiritual' lyrics, including 'I was in the seventh house'

$ a really ripping straight ahead dare I say 'jazzy' tune.

Aloha,

Brad

here you go... both nights. so long as you're ok with m4a files...

08/24/2001: Evolve Music Festival: Antigonish, NS

Set I: Don't Foil the Mohel, (Take A) Beetle to the Badlands, Yoyo My Little Brown-Eyed Babushka, Dogs on Bikes

Notes: [Joe Budzelek - joebudzjoeATaol.com - 3/14/2005]

08/25/2001: Evolve Music Festival: Antigonish, NS

Set I: Wolof, Trane-ing?, Weight of Solomon, ?, Moral Decay*

Notes: * w/ Jeff ??? on organ. [joebudzjoeATaol.com - 3/14/2005]

also, that would be Jeff "???" Heisholt on the organ there, at the end of night 2.. great sets, enjoy!

Right on thanks a lot. I can't wait to get off work to download this. The second night was billed as slip and friends and had all special guests from other bands that had played. Nero Dave joined them as well as Jeff Heisholt from BNB. There were others as well.

Night 2 did end with them playing Stand By Me which brought the whole festival to a standstill. Cool stuff.

I actually have really good DV footage of that entire Slip and Friends set. Eery good, Abe was up front with a really nice pro DV camera we'd borrowed. Lauzon is sooooo fucking nervous before he goes on, you can see this fear in his eyes and the steam coming off his nose like a bull's. It's hilarious too because, I don't know how to put this tactfully (not my strong point) but everyone was angling to be involved in the Slip and Friends set. Brad had approached Lauzon after their set saying that he'd played 'the best set of the festival', he genuinely admired/s Dave's tone and style. So that was an obvious choice, as was Heisholt and the third was JSB's conga player at the time whose name I've forgotten.

In any case Dave was so nervous and probably understood the depth and sophistication better than the others such that accompanying was an odious responsibility - in any case he was so nervous they left him a whole pocket to solo through and he just kept accompanying. It worked but it's funny to see on tape.