Jambands.ca

Should I buy this guitar?

flipzoso

I played a real cool cheapo today at Paul's Boutique in Toronto and thought about you, Mike. It's a Mann, which I think means it was manufactured by Garnet? At least the Mann amps were.

Anyway I can't find a picture of it on the internet anywhere but it was natural in colour, neck-thru-body (!), two humbuckers, double cutaway with round horns like a 335 but solid body and a little smaller than a 335. Cool guitar! The neck pickup was great, bridge pickup a little weak but probably just needed to be raised up a bit. Worst case scenario you pop something new in there and you'd still be under budget, because they're asking...wait for it...

$349.

The guitar had a mojo about it for sure...way more than any new MIM Tele. It's not something that everybody would love, but it was definitely up my alley. Better run in there and grab it before I do...

I bet you could get this for $450:

Fender Jerry Donahue Tele. Late 90s crafted in Japan. Upgraded pick ups with Duncan Alnico II Pro in the bridge and a hot 50s in the neck. Upgraded with Grover Klusson tuners. Upgraded electronics.Red with maple neck. Great sounding Telecaster. $550

teletune@hotmail.com

This is going well, I haven't negotiated price yet. But saw some pics and its great. But I'm gonna go over and try it out in person and if all goes well ... :-)

You guys reckon it'd be a good purchase?

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

So this morning the person who sold me that Donahue Tele above, was wondering if I would be willing to sell it back.

He says he is willing to trade for one of his Godin LGs that have more pickup options and better value, but he is willing to take the loss to get the tele back.

Now the thing is, I have grown used to it and really do like it. But I know full-well that I'm not the type of guitar enthusiast who can describe all the techy aspects as to why, in fact I know very little about the guitar itself. But I do jam with it with friends, and was just around the corner to start recording as well.

But on the other hand, I feel bad for the guy in that he misses it, ya know. And maybe he sees more value and use for it than I..?

Anyways, I suppose the starting point would be for me to a) get some pics of the Godin and if I like what I see B) try it out to see if it plays to my liking.

But I just thought I'd ask you guys what your initial impression would be. And what would you do if you found yourself in this situation?

Trade for the godin and a few hundred buckeroos if you're not in love with this guitar and upgrade your amp if you're still on a starter amp.

I like teles though and it'd take a really great setup to make that godin play the way youd want it to.

Great guitars, just not for everyone.