Jambands.ca

Should I buy this guitar?

flipzoso

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-Fender-Telecaster-W0QQAdIdZ204541833

Pros: Within price range (just about), fender telecaster (mim) is what i wanted, need one soon because im not a patient person but i could be persuaded on this one

Cons: Don't like the colour, the lack of patience and investigating elsewhere could be a con for myself here too

Edited by Guest

no.

If you played it and really liked it, its probably worth more like $300.00

If you want a steal of a tele, check out buying an older G&L. I have no agenda with those because I don't even sell them anymore. The G&L guitars from the early to mid nineties are incredible guitars and are criminally undervalued on the second hand market.

With our dollar close to par, check out what you could get more a little more money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-G-L-ASAT-Classic-USA-Blond-Good-Shape-/200467614929?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2eaccd0cd1

these are made in the original Fender factory. I can't recommend the guitars they are making right now, but wow they had some great ones. And, as is typical of the guitar consuming public, no one gives a shit unless it says Gibson or Fender on it.

no.

If you played it and really liked it, its probably worth more like $300.00

If you want a steal of a tele, check out buying an older G&L. I have no agenda with those because I don't even sell them anymore. The G&L guitars from the early to mid nineties are incredible guitars and are criminally undervalued on the second hand market.

With our dollar close to par, check out what you could get more a little more money:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1994-G-L-ASAT-Classic-USA-Blond-Good-Shape-/200467614929?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item2eaccd0cd1

these are made in the original Fender factory. I can't recommend the guitars they are making right now, but wow they had some great ones. And, as is typical of the guitar consuming public, no one gives a shit unless it says Gibson or Fender on it.

What he said. $475 isn't any kind of deal for a Mexican Fender. A new one is $530 at L&M right now. Your $500 can buy all sorts of better guitar than a Mexican Fender. Pablo's suggestion of an older USA-made G&L is spot-on, they're awesome guitars and the value-for-dollar is high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-G-L-ASAT-Special-Guitar-/320530077992?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa114d928

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-USA-ASAT-Special-Tobacco-Burst-1998-1999-/330431898714?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4cef46a45a

I agree with Pablo. I have a G&L ASAT Classic that I bought new in the mid '90s and it can kick some Fender ass (even with me playing it), although it should since it was made by George Fullerton and Leo Fender, hence the G&L name.

The only good off-shore Fenders were made by the Japanese.

Part of why G&L guitars may not be the same as they used to be is because both Leo and George are dead and G&L now has a cheaper line made off-shore (probably in Korea).

Alright, point made.

But, thing is I'm not down with buying off ebay (not because i don't trust or haven't done before, just for other reasons) and I don't need the best guitar in the world. Just a solid guitar for 300-500 range that I can find locally. I mean, i really like telecaster style, but I'd be open to others.

...or would Fender Standard American Teles be a better bet?

I'd rather take a chance and buy quality on ebay instead of settling for a junky Mexican Fender, no matter the price. The only great Mexican Fender I've ever seen, heard and/or played is Booche's Telecaster - his late father had it re-built and it's a fucking wicked guitar.

I recently got a Fender MIM Nashville Power Tele and it kicks ass. I absolutely love it. I'd probably pay about $350 tops for a used MIM standard Tele off of kijiji or ebay or whatever. Totally worth the cash if you like the guitar which is really what matters in the end.

QC is lower with the MIM fenders but that just means you have to play 10 times the number of USA made fenders to get the right one.

FWIW, you will also find some surprising luck with Squier these days. For less money you often get more guitar.

If you can find a Tokai from the late 70's early 80's you'll also be in luck, as well as a number of other fender designs from the 80's (schechter, ESP)...but I'm sure this discussion could go on for days (It's been going on for years around the internet).

$500 could get you a great used guitar and with enough patience a real gem of a starter axe.

I bet you could get this for $450:

Fender Jerry Donahue Tele. Late 90s crafted in Japan. Upgraded pick ups with Duncan Alnico II Pro in the bridge and a hot 50s in the neck. Upgraded with Grover Klusson tuners. Upgraded electronics.Red with maple neck. Great sounding Telecaster. $550

teletune@hotmail.com