Jambands.ca

Daniel Lanois' BLACK DUB

Kanada Kev

I've been listening/watching these vids for months now. I can't wait for this album to be released and see some local dates pop up! Brian Blade is a phenomenal drummer and Trixie's voice is HOT! This shit is sooooo good. Catch the Montreal show on Jul 2 if you can

I'd Rather Go Blind - Trixie Whitley w/ Brian Blade and Daniel Lanois from Daniel Lanois on Vimeo.

"Black Dub" in the studio - "Nomad Knows" from Daniel Lanois on Vimeo.

"Black Dub" in the studio - "Ring the Alarm" from Daniel Lanois on Vimeo.

Black Dub w/ Daniel Lanois: The Birth of Bellavista Nights from Daniel Lanois on Vimeo.

Really? Vocals really are the biggest swaying point it seems with a lot of bands. I can understand where you are coming from. Check out this radio interview with Ron Bennington where just her and Daniel perform (about halfway through the interview):

http://tinyurl.com/3y59bpz

And there's also this vid they did at Relix:

Dub Pistols: Daniel Lanois and Trixie Whitley from A View Of You on Vimeo.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for posting this Kev, I completely forgot about this!

I hear you Dave for the most part, not really sold on her either - couple songs are decent though. This pretty much is the same band he's been rocking for the last 4-5 years, sometimes a bass player change, but usually it's darryl.

the blade/lanois combo is just otherworldly...

It's pure magic! They both are completely in their elements while jamming together too.

Blade will be coming through Toronto twice to Massey Hall with some other greats. Wish I had some extra cash for tix to these;

CHICK COREA, CHRISTIAN McBRIDE & BRIAN BLADE

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 8 PM / Massey Hall

WAYNE SHORTER QUARTET

(Danilo Perez, John Patitucci, and drummer Brian Blade)

Saturday, February 12, 2011 at 8 PM / Massey Hall

^^ Exactly! only seen the mother superior - really??! Was that the gig in LA you saw? Man, the blade/lanois combo is just otherworldly... I hope for your sake you get a chance to see them.

yes, that was the only time I saw him. would love to see the blade/lanois combo live, but I may just wait for trixie to pass

There's no artist I like more than Daniel Lanois. I always love everything he does, but gotta say.. trixie is awful. in the kinda 7th cut american idle kinda way. ouch. no personality and bottled soul. I'd love to see that exact band without her.

I sorta agree with ya. Last year or so when some of the first the recordings/footage of them showed up I was diggin' it (at least that one video), but after hearing some of the outtakes that have been circulating around I've come to a similar conclusion.

There is some Dan/Brian/Daryl only jams floating around though and it's superior.

• 8 months later...

Well, I got to witness Brian Blade absolutely blow the roof (and minds) of everyone at Massey Hall on Saturday when he was playing with the awe-inspiring Wayne Shorter Quartet. Holy Fuck it was good. Not that anyone was coming close to toppling Brian as my favourite drummer, but he elevated himself even higher in my ranks.

He goes from that, to a couple of nights later playing with Lanois on Kimmel. Mellow tune, but I can't wait to experience Black Dub in person.

This is what Brian Blade was like with Wayne Shorter:

Edited by Guest

Mellow tune, but I can't wait to experience Black Dub in person.

I'm with you on the Brian Blade praise. But are Black Dub actually planning to tour? I am not much of a fan of the album, the singer lady doesn't do it for me, but I'd go see them live if the price wasn't too high. Maybe its just me but they do seem to have some kinda viral ball of popularity going for them.

Awesome vids - thx!

So wanted to catch that Massey Hall show - killer band!

I had the pleasure of catching Dan + Brian play at Sam's on Yonge St. years ago, from a few feet away. It was a mind-blowing treat. Had a chance to chat with Dan after (I first met him at CMW at few years earlier), and told him I though he and "Mitch Mitchell" were rawkin'. He thought about it, and said, "yeah - you're right - Brian really is a lot like Mitch Mitchell!"

Hard hitting, with jazz chops/sound - kind of rare...

• 1 month later...