Jambands.ca

Iron Maiden in Ottawa

Velvet

Hey all,

I found out that instead of my Bluesfest blog, tonight I'll actually be writing for CP, my first time going out over the wire!

Anyways, I don't know many of Maiden's song titles, so if you are near a computer immediately after the show, could you post some of the song titles? I don't necessarily need the whole setlist, but any songs you remember them playing would be appreciated.

Thanks.

too bad i missed them last year as "hey that new maiden song isn't bad kinda sounds like an older great song by them"

give 'em credit for reincarnation and passchendale though top notch.

might we get the latter as it appeared in early shows on the tour and it is at the war museum and all.

world famous tank expert bruce dickenson might see his way clear to connect the dots

I heard the dropped Passchendale due to them not being able to get the timing right..

maybe they used their two day break to practice up?

for those of you who have seen the setlist.. I'm worried about midset with this heat... worried it's going to suck the life out of the crowd

I didn't like the top heavy setlist. It was like a long tease until they got to the good stuff. However, the crowd around me near the front was very into it and knew all the material. They have a lot of young fans so this was probably "old stuff" to them.

Out of the five times I've seen them I'd rank that #3.

From my perspective I equate that show to the Kiss Bluesfest show. I mean, that last quarter was fuckingrocking and way louder than the stuff from earlier. Seeminlgy similar in those respects.

I felt the show was slamming from Fear Of The Dark on with bits I really enjoyed before that but I cant say what aside from a double guitar attack.

Awesome fucking stage. Best I have ever seen at Bluesfest.

s2fa1i.jpg

zjt7av.jpg

Triple guitar attack!

I thought the entire evening was great. DT and IM are two of my faves. I did not go home disappointed! I liked that Iron Maiden concentrated on the later material from their catalog. I'm not as familiar with those songs, but they were great. And the really old stuff they played - Wrathchild, Running Free, etc. was just great.

Edit to add: Bruce Dickinson is probably the most athletic rock singer around. I got exhausted watching run and leap all over the stage!

Edited by Guest

the CD Release pumping was a bit annoying for sure.

I thought the show kicked off hard with the first four tunes. As much as I find El Dorado to be rather uninspired, I thought it worked really well live, great energy and the crowd seemed to really dig it.

Mid set didn't work for me, and only the real die hards seemed to still be paying attention. I was up front for the start of the show but due to a small medical issue with someone in our party we moved back to just behind the sound tent. It was quieter there and no longer being surrounded by card carrying members of the Iron Maiden fan club meant that it was hard to really get back into the show until they hit Fear Of The Dark and launched into their classics.

All in all it was still a fun night out. The band still has great energy and chops and the stage set up was great. Could have used some pyro though :)

Forgot to mention the asinine water bottle "war" going on at the main stage. People were randomly tossing half-full water bottles into the crowd. I wish security gave a shit about stopping that kind of infraction but they just let it go on all night. I found the crowd pretty cretinous in general.