Jambands.ca

Petition: Save BC Black Bears Found in Drug Bust

StoneMtn

174582-1282611811-main.jpg

Police involved in a Canadian drug bust found over a dozen black bears roaming in a field of marijuana, apparently fed by the growers to guard the plants. The bears did nothing to stop police and appeared friendly and docile, but because of their prolonged exposure to humans, it is now being debated whether or not they should be put down.

Please sign this petition asking Canadian officials to release the bears in a human-free area, or if they are unable to take care of themselves in the wild, send them to a reputable sanctuary.

Click here to sign the petition

There was once a "house of ill repute" in a town where I lived, known for catering to the rich and famous. The owner used to feed local bears to keep them around the property (and the neighbourhood where the house was located) because the "customers" liked to see them out the windows.

Many bears were killed as a direct result. (No one had much of a problem with the goings-on inside the house, by the way. It was the bear-issue that raised public ire.)

3 lbs. bear meat, cubed

salt and pepper

½ tsp. powdered thyme

3-4 tbsp. flour

2-3 tbsp. lard, oil or bacon fat

1 large onion, diced

2 celery tips with leaves

3 carrots, sliced

½ tsp. marjoram

1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 cups red wine or enough to cover

1 clove garlic, smashed

1 tsp. Beef boullion powder (or 2 cubes)

Directions

Sprinkle meat cubes with salt, pepper, and half the thyme, then coat heavily with flour. In Dutch oven or electric skillet, melt fat and saute the meat cubes on all sides in several batches so the pieces are not crowded, remove cubes that are nice and brown to make way for more.

When all the meat is browned, saute onion, green peppers, carrots and celery in the same pan, adding more fat if necessary until onions are barely translucent.

Return the meat to the pan, add the rest of the ingredients, then cover and simmer for about 1-1/2 hours. Add water as flour absorbs the liquid from the meat cubes. This may need to be repeated.

Bear meat is not particularly tasty.

I bet Freak By Night would buy one!

Au contraire! Last summer I was at a cottage party (coincidentally, hosted by an old friend of StoneMtn's) when one of the locals passed around a platter of small sausages with toothpicks in them. Nice looking hors d'Å“uvres, I thought. I bit into one and almost threw up. It was bear meat.

My first only taste of bear meat. I thought it was awful.

Au contraire! Last summer I was at a cottage party (coincidentally, hosted by an old friend of StoneMtn's) when one of the locals passed around a platter of small sausages with toothpicks in them. Nice looking hors d'Å“uvres, I thought. I bit into one and almost threw up. It was bear meat.

My first only taste of bear meat. I thought it was awful.

I'd recommend a whiskey marinade and a hemp smoker