Jambands.ca

Pat Burns facing final days in battle with lung cancer

Kanada Kev

So sad :( Burns, you are one of the great coaches of all time. You deserved to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Sucks that it will most likely be posthumously now.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2010/09/former_devils_coach_pat_burns_1.html

billkostrounjpg-cceecaeed010b117_large.jpg

Former Devils coach Pat Burns is facing his final days as he wages a battle against lung cancer.

A severely weakened Burns, 58, is back home in Magog, Quebec surrounded by family and has taken a turn for the worse.

"I talked to him yesterday," Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "He's fighting this like anybody would fight it.

"He's aware. He talks about the team. He knows what is going on, but it's tough."

Lamoriello said the entire Devils coaching staff has spoken to Burns and the players are aware of the situation. Burns coached the Devils to the 2003 Stanley Cup before stepping down a year later with colon cancer.

He has battled colon, liver and now lung cancer.

Devils assistant coach Larry Robinson said he bought Burns' Harley Davidson motorcycle. Robinson and Jacques Caron had lunch with Burns while he was still in Florida this summer.

Burns is a three-time winner of the Jack Adams trophy as NHL coach of the year. There was hope that he would be elected to the Hall of Fame in June, but the election committee passed him over.

"He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame more than some people who are in there," said Robinson. "He has the credentials."

Apparently he called Bob Mckenzie and said "Here we go again. They're trying to kill me before I'm dead. I come to Quebec to spend some time with my family and they say I'm dead. I'm not dead, far fucking from it. They've had me dead since June. Tell I'm alive. Set them straight."

The source for The Star was Cliff Fletcher

Leafs adviser Cliff Fletcher had told reporters at Leafs’ training camp today that the seriously ill Burns had died.

But Kevin Dixon, Burns’ close friend, said, “Pat says he is not dead yet.â€

“Hey all, just talked to Pat, and he is grocery shopping,†Dixon said in an email.

“He can’t decide if he will have pork chops this evening or steak.

“Finally, it will be pork chops. He said he had steak last night at the restaurant. Reporters screwed up big-time.â€

When Dixon got Burns on the phone, he teased him by saying: “I got your box here ready for you. Got to get you in there before the end of the day.â€

After Cliff, Damien Cox is next on the list of folks who should get cut. You would think he would know better but nooooooooooooooo. The fat bald headed fuck.

"The next day, a shaken Toronto Maple Leafs executive Cliff Fletcher told several reporters that he'd heard Burns had passed away. It made sense in the context of the previous day's story about Burns's declining health. Without consulting Burns's family or double checking the story, Damien Cox of The Toronto Star reported Fletcher's story on his Twitter account. Within an hour the story was viral."

• 3 weeks later...