Jambands.ca

2011 Festival of Friends - Cheap Trick or Steppenwolf?

Irie Guy

Steppenwolf did a show a few years ago in Port Dover with Jeff Healey and less than 1000 showed up. An organization I'm involved with put it on (I wasn't involved with them back then). Dan Aykroyd voiced the radio commercials, there was a tonne of regional advertising, and a great cause.

I dunno how much better you'd do with Cheap Trick, but I'd say Steppenwolf's draw is minimal these days ...

With regard to the Golden Slumbers post above:

So my answer is a song they didn't write being performed with epic reverb....not much of an endorsement. This is not a solid booking, I'm sorry. This is to music what Velveeta is to cheese. "Yeah Velveeta works, but you feel queezy afterward."

I'm done.

With regard to the Golden Slumbers post above:

So my answer is a song they didn't write being performed with epic reverb....not much of an endorsement. This is not a solid booking, I'm sorry. This is to music what Velveeta is to cheese. "Yeah Velveeta works, but you feel queezy afterward."

I'm done.

fucking grouch

kind of yes...but no one has offered up the neither argument, and to me that is the answer.

There has to be something else out there no?

Would you go out of your way to attend that? Or are you just picking it over Steppenwolf?

Sorry i am a bit of a sarcastic dick from time to time, but seriously what does this booking do to make this festival have wide appeal?

Look at blues fest in your beloved city...if Cheap Trick was the pinnacle would you be proud?

kind of yes...but no one has offered up the neither argument, and to me that is the answer.

Would you go out of your way to attend that? Or are you just picking it over Steppenwolf?

Sorry i am a bit of a sarcastic dick from time to time, but seriously what does this booking do to make this festival have wide appeal?

Look at blues fest in your beloved city...if Cheap Trick was the pinnacle would you be proud?

Cheap Trick is one of the best classic rock bands still playing. And are kick ass live. Maybe you should stop being such a sarcastic dick(your words not mine) and listen to the music.

Whatever...you asked for an opinion and I say this is bonkers and dated....I'll go grab my hightops and practice my sway dancing ... seriously .... give me 3 reasons you are excited about this?

Nobody said the whole festival was useless BTW not even close....I'm just saying I am not into these acts whatsoever....it happened...it doesn't need to happen again does it?

I know this format is making my sentiments come off pretty harsh...and admittedly I was being sarcastic, but nowhere did I write the whole thing off. Nowhere.

kind of yes...but no one has offered up the neither argument' date=' and to me that is the answer.

Look at blues fest in your beloved city...if Cheap Trick was the pinnacle would you be proud?[/quote']

Cheap Trick is one of the best classic rock bands still playing. And are kick ass live. Maybe you should stop being such a sarcastic dick(your words not mine) and listen to the music.

I've listened plenty and I disagree...I don't like this stuff. You do. That's good for you. You will have a good time then.

Three reasons to be excited about Cheap Trick:

1) Rick Neilson is a really good guitar player, a really good showman, and he brings out a guitar collection that is worth drooling over.

2) Robin Zander is one of the best rock singers in the business period

3) They have a plethora of good and popular songs and as such they tend to draw respectable crowds.

I've seen Cheap Trick before and would go again in a heartbeat.

Y'know what screw it I'll pick one. Sans hyperbole.

Steppenwolf.

I pick Steppenwolf because I prefer music that I perceive to be music more gutteral, has interesting organ interludes, has a vocal that is not as pristine as some classic rock bands can espouse, more raw guitar sounds and lacks campy convention.

Though the virtuosity of Cheap Trick is far superior to that of Steppenwolf and they have the market cornered on theatrics and big sound I would choose to opt for not that as that is not where my current tastes lie. My tastes did lie there at points in my life and maybe they will return but for now I pick Steppenwolf.