Jambands.ca

A little help please....what kind of TV should I get?

Cully

what are you going to be using it for. for hd, hooking up your laptop/computer to it. or striticly for cable and dvd's. i am getting one so have been researching. i don't do cable i stream everything online so i wanted to make sure my laptop is compatible with the tv. sony, panasonic and sharp i have been told are the brands to go for. if you want to hook it up to a newer laptop make sure it has hdmi so you can play your laptop on the tv 1080 p and 120 hertz to get your best play back from computer to tv

very good points, RobL. i/o ports are important.

fwiw, i tried to connect an ipad to our 2-year old LG plazma TV via a USB port on the back on the TV this weekend and it temporarily deactivated the remote as well as the actual power button on the tv itself. could not turn it off at all. so I unplugged it and then all was fine. turns out the usb port on the TV was just for "setup" not for an in-signal.

so, yeah Cully. check into that.

best buy has an LG 47" LCD on sale for $699 .

Whenever checking Best Buy, always check Future Shop too (and the other way around too). They are owned by the same parent company and you can use each of them to price-match and get further discounts on your item. I did this with a kickass Denon receiver a couple of months ago.

The TV you posted is available at Future Shop too:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-47-1080p-lcd-hdtv-47ld450-47ld450/10140924.aspx?path=8bc636a802774885a3060ad3f814447den02

Funny how it's only an "$80 savings" there and a "$149 savings" at Best Buy for the same TV ;)

Remember that BB and FS will price match. I got a 42" Panasonic Plasma, both stores had it for $550.

I found it online advertised at a computer store for $429. Brought in the print out of the other store sale, and they sold the tv to me for $417.

So it pays to poke around for sale prices..

I found a refurbished place in Markham with all sorts of deals and great prices. I can track it down if you want. Been rocking mine for about 4 months, no issues. Saved about $400 over new ($550 all in or so for a 1080p LG 47" well before x-mas/boxing day).

pm me if you want the store name.