Jambands.ca

Family Dog Presents... late 60's SF handbills avail. @ GS!

fluffhead77

Thought a few of you on here might appreciate our latest collaboration. Here's a little blurb about the Family Dog...

"There was a rock-inspired artistic flowering in San Francisco in the mid-1960s, and Chet Helms and The Family Dog Presents were at the heart of the counterculture revolution. Chet migrated from Texas with Janis Joplin, became manager of Big Brother and the Holding Company, and produced a series of weekly dance concerts at San Francisco’s Avalon Ballroom. The psychedelic Family Dog posters and handbills created to promote those shows were collected at the time, but no one could have foreseen the timeless value and ongoing cultural significance of the works.

Indeed, the 160-plus Family Dog posters that once plastered the rainbow-painted walls of Haight-Ashbury are today enshrined in such prestigious art institutions as The Louvre, Britain’s Tate Modern Museum, and New York’s Whitney Museum."

We will be offering prints of these as well shortly - sometime this week.

110_FamilyDogPresents_SkeletonRoses_500-white.jpg

94_FamilyDogPresents_IndianWithSwirlingEyes_500-white.jpg

88_FamilyDogPresents_PeyoteBud_500-white.jpg

132_FamilyDogPresents_Strongman_500-white.jpg

http://gelaskins.com/collaborators/Family_Dog_Presents

Thoughts?

Edited by Guest

Cool link! My parents had a poster store in the mid to late '60's. A few years ago I found a bunch of their old stock that had been stored in their basement since then. They were mostly the Family Dog Avalon Ballroom show posters, including that Strongman poster above and the 'Pyramid Eye' from the link. The red Quicksilver Messenger Service poster on their website is hanging in my living room along with a couple other exceptionally psychedelic posters! Sadly, no Dead stuff.