Jambands.ca

Official Bluesfest 2011 Lineup

Freeker

• Replies 517
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw' date=' did anyone catch the kids getting a $10,000 check from the Malhotra Family Foundation? They're the kids that were busking outside of bluesfest last year after Arcade Fire, then Arcade Fire joined them. They were so impressed that they setup this donation thingy and they're matching the $10,000 making it a cool $20,000 apparently to help kickstart a career in music. They seem a little young to get 20 grand.

[/quote']

Yeah, they were given the cheque immediately before The Lips went on stage and when the presenter mentioned Arcade Fire I was dying for Coyne to come out and make some smart remark about it. Assuming the two bands are still "feuding" that is. ;)

So the money goes directly to the Dube brothers? I wasn't really clear on what that was all about.

From their website :

We helped to raise over $106,000 for Haiti relief and support. Now we are helping to solve problems with poverty, long-term, through the KANPE Foundation. KANPE works to break the cycle of poverty in Haiti by helping the poorest families to become financially independent through literacy, money management, housing, farming, health care, and nutrition. Arcade Fire will generously match your donation dollar for dollar so your $1 turns into $2!

They did state at the presentation that the donations were going to KANPE, not the brothers themselves.

I worked until 7:30 last night then raced to the site on two wheels. I arrived at 8pm bang on sweating bullets, and the Lips were just hitting the stage. I went to the ticket buying area and noticed they had seven of fifteen wickets open for buying tickets.

Then I noticed one of the longest lines I've ever seen.

I did some asking around and found that I was looking at about a 2 1/2 hour wait to buy a ticket, which would put me inside at around 10:30. Scalpers were looking for $120 a ticket. My intention was to buy a pass, but I ended up going home last night and I will buy people's extras for a handful of nights this year instead.

Mindboggling that they weren't prepared for the first-night ticket onslaught. I mean, when will they have all fifteen ticket windows working if not the first night? If the ticket office was firing on all cylinders last night there would have been zero lineup.

I can only guess that it was done on purpose, to teach us that we'd better buy advance tickets next time, to which I say suck my elbow. Either that or someone experienced a deep sense of incompetence last night.

BF posted an apology on facebook this morning blaming the clusterfuck on the number of people who chose the will call option vs. mail due to the postal strike.

In these heady times of bar codes, surely they knew how many tickets were in the hands of buyers and how many still had to be picked up.

I don't like them blaming the postal LOCKOUT even if it's true. They should have had a contingency plan in place. This is supposed to be a world class festival.

Also doesn't explain the long lineup that people who already had tickets experienced. That was just poor people moving.

Anyway, fingers crossed that they have the kinks worked out tonight.

They did state at the presentation that the donations were going to KANPE' date=' not the brothers themselves.[/quote']

Why do I listen to bouche?

That's what I was told by one of the photographers. He seemed to know that it was going on before the Lips start. I asked "what's the charity? Why are they giving these kids $20,000?"

answer:"To jumpstart their careers!"

Still didn't make sense. Still, why present the check to them?

I did some asking around and found that I was looking at about a 2 1/2 hour wait to buy a ticket, which would put me inside at around 10:30. Scalpers were looking for $120 a ticket. My intention was to buy a pass, but I ended up going home last night and I will buy people's extras for a handful of nights this year instead.

That's really too bad and shitty that you didn't make it in. I also heard that last nights ticket was $55. Seemed a little high for last night's acts.

I don't like them blaming the postal LOCKOUT even if it's true. They should have had a contingency plan in place. This is supposed to be a world class festival.

I know it's off topic but thank you for clarifying the fact that it was a LOCKOUT and not a strike. It baffles my mind that people automatically portray a work stoppage as a strike.

Anyways...you got it Ollie...through the museum! You used to be able to go through the cafeteria too, but not sure if that's an option anymore.

In these heady times of bar codes, surely they knew how many tickets were in the hands of buyers and how many still had to be picked up.

i went to the Rideau centre to pick my tix up at about 6 pm. there were 2 pick up points. both had big lines but one had a 50-person line while the other was about 20 people. it 'only' took me half an hour to get my tix...boy was i glad i did when i saw the main gate. spent half the night trying to keep an eye out for V who i didn't know got shut out by the crazy line!

Edited by Guest

I know it's off topic but thank you for clarifying the fact that it was a LOCKOUT and not a strike. It baffles my mind that people automatically portray a work stoppage as a strike.

Anyways...you got it Ollie...through the museum! You used to be able to go through the cafeteria too' date=' but not sure if that's an option anymore.

[/quote']

I know the difference between a lockout and a strike- I was quoting the Bluesfest post:

Cisco Ottawa Bluesfest said:

Due to the postal strike many ticket purchasers selected the will-call pickup option and therefore our will call was backed up at the box office. We are making changes and will get people in more efficiently. We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

I recall that every year, Ottawa Bluesfest adjusts the layout and services based on feedback and capacity. I think they've done a find job in the past but this year it looks like they had alot of new 'features' that will take time to adjust.

I like the response.

“We are making changes,†[Mark Monahan] said Wednesday morning. “We aren’t going to have these long lines again. Maybe there were some poor decisions made on our part but we’re going to fix them. That’s all we can do.â€

The original plan was to have just one entrance — first point of entry — into the park for this year’s festival but that plan quickly fell apart Tuesday.

As an emergency measure, Monahan and his logistics crew opened another entrance opposite the main entrance to the Canadian War Museum.

That entrance has also been a first point of entry in previous years but this year was meant to be and entry and exit point exclusively for people whose tickets had already been scanned.

For the remainder of the festival that will now be a permanent second entry point for all.

Festivalgoers can also use the stage area behind the museum as an initial entry point. That requires going into the front entrance of the museum and out the back where ticket scanners will be stationed.

There are seven or eight exit points and that will not change.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/life/better+tonight+Bluesfest+boss/5058949/story.html

P.S. Citizen writer Chris Cobb also refers to it as a postal "strike" in the body of the article. What incredibly bad journalism.