Jambands.ca

Greetings and Pics from Kabul

AD

Hey there,

Things are going good so far in Afghanistan. We haven't really started work yet, so we've been having meetings and seeing a bit of the city. I've started an online photo album, the link is at the bottom. I can't get the pics to link to here, so go check 'em out over there.

Good to hear nermoe was good everywhere. Too bad i missed it... Someone taped it? I'll take b+p's to the Silk Route Guest House, Wazir Akbar Khan, Kabul =)

Here is a link to the online photo album...

If anyone wants some more info, shoot me an email and i can add you to my update list.

Cheers! Salom!

AD

Well, this might open a sticky can of worms...

First, you've got to differentiate between American Military presence and American Civilian presence.

Before coming I was against the American military presence, and for the most part my feelings haven't changed. Something has to be done about the Taleban though. The company for whom my company is working has had many incidents with rogue Taleban who still want to hold onto some power through force. Sneak attacks, ambushes are very common on the roads after dark. The American (and other troops such as Canada, Romania, etc...) need to get these small pockets of Taleban under control and fast. Taleban have no problem picking on fellow Afghanis as well.

The American troops here are the only ones being aggressive (still using force without provocation) but the retaliation for this ends up with Canadians and Romanians dead. For this reason I wish the Americans could stop their bombing (I heard bombs last night in my sleep) and find a better way, but until a better way to deal with Taleban elements is found, I throw my hands in the air...

American (and many many other countries but largely American) civilian presence here is crucial for rehab of the country. It simply will not happen without all the NGOs and private business that are here on the ground. The project I'm working on is the biggest one in the rehab of the country. Highway 1 is the major trade route in western asia and is not passable in many places. My section was due to be complete (designed, engineered, paved, etc...) by March 2005. Hamid Karzai (Prime Minister or President) went to Washington to see Dubya in the summer to visit, and Bush said '2005? That's too late. How about September 2004?' Bush has no idea what it takes to build a road, but the American government committed to having it done by then and it will be done by then. The speed at which things are happening here in the civilian sector is unprecedented, largely to Bush's unknowing of real-world process, but the end result is fantastic for Afghanis who need an economy. Right now there isn't one, period.

I'm interested to hear what others think of this, and remember, I can't check this board all too often so don't expect speedy replies...

I have a pretty good vantage point on things here..

ad

sean, you probably have my old email address (the sympatico one?) i'm on rogers now... try emailing me there or right from the sanctuary. i didn't receive anything from you at all... looking forward to hearing from you though!

ad

Nice pics...glad to hear you're safe and sound.

From what I understand most of the country outside Kabul is still very unstable, and there are all kinds of warlords ruling various parts of the country (on a positive yet negative note, if you like opium you're in the right country).

Afghanistan and Iraq share a similar problem in that there are still remnants of the old regime, along with various "jihadists," trying to disrupt any reconstruction efforts and kick out all the outsiders.

Somehow the choice shouldn't have to be between insane Taliban and Fed Ex (from the pictures, no doubt will be followed by Kabul's first Starbucks), but there has to be some troop presence there to try and keep things as stable as possible.

Also, I'm a little curious as to whether there are still plans to build that big gas pipeline from the Caspian Sea which was supposed to go through Afghanistan, which is one of the reasons Taliban reps were invited to Texas a few years ago (just type in Unocal Taliban in a google search).

Archived