Jambands.ca

Ottawa vinyl buyers

AD

A message from Birdman Sound:

Hey, hope all is well with you at this time of the year. I’m going to put this very simply. Birdman Sound is in need of your support. I don'’t need to list all that we’ve brought to the table over the past 20 years, but right now as in this week we need your support. What with the worst... stretch of “none shopping†weather we've had for the past week Birdman is in a major bind. Due to 5 ½ months of road closure, xmas shopping being the biggest “none event†of the past 20 years and me having to pay my landlords property tax bill of $ 2000. By Dec. 31st I am now in a huge hole. We continue to bring in the best in wax availability week in and week out for our discerning clientele, except the clientele is not coming in. Long story short I have not paid my (January 1st) rent yet !!!!! Despite best efforts, said land lord is demanding his pound of flesh by this coming Monday and yes I know, February’s rent is due 8 days later….can you say “another extension†? Story of my life for the past year. I am hoping because my selection is killer and no filler that you might thi nk about showing some support this week and filling your boots, thus aiding one of Ottawa’s longest running independent purveyor’s of fine culture the opportunity to forge ahead into the abyss none by some as the future.

Thanks and I hope to see you…..John

Ps….sadly this is the first ever plea of this sort and frankly I'm embarrassed by it.

where's birdman? I could use a new record or two. the birdman guy could have at least listed a FEW things that they've brought to the table over the last 20 years. I for one have no idea what they are. I don't even know where the store is.

Edited by Guest

where's birdman? I could use a new record or two. the birdman guy could have at least listed a FEW things that they've brought to the table over the last 20 years. I for one have no idea what they are. I don't even know where the store is.

In the Glebe, at 593-B Bank St., right next to Crosstown Traffic.

Aloha,

Brad

Well that's pretty offensive. Are you telling me you don't remember the Birdman stage at Bluesfest?

Going for coffee soon... meet you at the mall?

Well that's pretty offensive. Are you telling me you don't remember the Birdman stage at Bluesfest?

Going for coffee soon... meet you at the mall?

i now remember that stage. I didn't know what birdman was then either. coffee was good btw. it could have used a pastry on the side.

He's got a pretty detailed blog about his inventory, puts on shows, had a stage at Bluesfest in the past... Google it. Geez.

yeah i did. http://www.birdmansound.com/

let's review...a very recent post on there "TOP PICKS OF 2008"

main image doesn't exist.

that actually was the first thing that came up and clearly very old. i went to the blog but at work all blogspot sites are blocked. so now that you know the whole story you can stop being hurtful towards me :)

I too am rather surprised by your comments. Birdman has done a great deal for the music-loving community in this city. He has the best record store in town.

Unfortunately I have been poor and semi-homeless and/or backpacking around Latin America for the last couple of years so I have not supported him for some time.

This next month is tight for me too but if I can swing it I will try to buy at least a record or two. I'm moving into a new place next week & look forward to reuniting with my long-in-storage record collection and turntables.

Did you ever go to Organized Sound? The other best record store in Ottawa that is no more? Birdman was next door.

Here is a list of what he brought to the table in just one of the last twenty years:

Friday, July 4, 2003

6:15 pm The Cherry Valence

9:30 pm Soledad Brothers

Saturday, July 5, 2003

12:15 pm Flecton Bigsky & The Dreamcatchers

1:05 pm The Torture King Side Show

1:45 pm The Glen Nevous Retraction

2:40 pm The Torture King Side Show

3:15 pm Rev. Glasseye & His Wooden Legs

4:10 pm The Torture King Side Show

4:45 pm The Night Callers

5:45 pm Mr. Airplane Man

8:00 pm The Deadly Snakes

Sunday, July 6, 2003

12:15 pm V.E.O.

1:20 pm The Torture King Side Show

2:00 pm The Silver Hearts

3:05 pm The Torture King Side Show

3:45 pm Dan Melchoir's Broke Revue

4:50 pm The Torture King Side Show

5:30 pm Speedball Baby

7:00 pm Singapore Sling

9:30 pm The Fleshtones

Thursday, July 10, 2003

6:15 pm The Paybacks

9:30 pm Nebula

Friday, July 11, 2003

6:15 pm Nina Nastasia

9:30 pm Howe Gelb (Solo) of GIANT SAND

Saturday, July 12, 2003

12:15 pm The Glads

1:20 pm Le Nombre

2:35 pm Andre Williams

4:05 pm The Chickens

5:45 pm The Shanks

9:30 pm The Cynics

Sunday, July 13, 2003

12:15 pm Holy Hell

1:20 pm Shikasta

2:35 pm Starvin' Hungry

4:05 pm Nathanial Mayer

5:45 pm Bionic

7:00 pm The Sights

9:30 pm The Dirtbombs

If you’re a record collector living in Ottawa you’ve undoubtedly heard of the legendary Birdman Sound: a cherished treasure of any serious music lover and vinyl afficianado. John Westhaver, the shop’s owner, has been a staple in the Ottawa music scene for over 20 years — and not just for the obvious reason of “owning a record storeâ€. He hosts Friday Morning Cartunes, the 20-years-and-running hugely influential show on Carleton University’s CKCU FM, has played in and supported tonnes of local bands, ran a Birdman Stage for 2 years at Ottawa Bluesfest, and can easily be credited with singlehandedly introducing Ottawa to countless great acts he’s brought to town (everyone from Acid Mother’s Temple to Nathaniel Mayer to Nebula to Howe Gelb to The Greenhornes to T-Model Ford to The Bellrays… phewf that’s just off the top of my head).

He’s had a profound impact on the national capital’s musical palette.

Birdman’s habit of importing one of the most diverse catalogues of music into a retail store easily allows them to earn the mantle of the city’s best record shop and, in my humble opinion, one of the best record stores in all of Canada. Yeah. I’m serious.

Check out this great piece Bradley Turcotte penned a couple of years ago. John Westhaver has essentially operated a word of mouth business that rests on the foundation of recommending great music to like-minded people. Speaking from personal experience, John helped a former band I was in locally break a record about 6 years ago and that led to a slew of new fans coming out to our shows — something I had never experienced so organically before.

However, a recent downtown construction project has hampered business in Ottawa’s core and this includes John’s summer walk-up business. You can read a note on his blog reminding customers that he’s still in business under the construction mess. Go support him right now and buy a record!

Birdman sound genuinely sports the credo “fine purveyors of music†in a way that is unmotivated by nothing other than helping great records to get attention and get shared between people, something that I think just about anyone can get down with. If there was ever anyone in town who approached Rob Gordon in terms of their status as a sheer audiophile, then Westhaver’s it for the 613 area code and Birdman Sound is Ottawa’s Championship Vinyl. Check them out.

standard vinyl

were my comments harsh or something? I was serious in that I didn't KNOW of Birdman Sound. My comment truly meant that I didn't know what they've done. Pure ignorance. I would have been glad to read a list of their accomplishments. Like, hosting bluesfest stages, shows they may have supported, or other special events.

Vinyl shops are pretty much independently promoted with very little outside support. Unless they make it easy to sell online with cheap shipping, they're entire business model is based on walk-in traffic. Let's face it, it's super easy to order vinyl online and just wait a week for it to show up at your door. It makes it super easy as well to forget how fun it is to go to the shops with friends, decompress and go over the finds, then go home and crack the seal placing the fresh (or musty) vinyl on a turntable.

Thanks for that vinyl bloggy link. I'll be sure to visit that often!

Edited by Guest

I think it is just for someone so in tune with the music scene it seems bizarre that you could have lived here as long as you have and not know and love Birdman.

Admittedly his specialty is the hard, dirty, gritty rock & roll. Not so much the jam band music. But he brings in amazing music of all kinds on delicious vinyl & CD.