Jambands.ca

OFFICIAL VINYL THREAD

RobL

pt phish message board has a vinyl thread i love checking on for vinyl releases and ideas. So i figured we should have one here.

this recently just got released

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-153729-jerry-garcia-and-david-grisman-jerry-garcia-and-david-grisman-numbered-limited-edition-180g-2lp.aspx

JERRY GARCIA AND DAVID GRISMAN - JERRY GARCIA AND DAVID GRISMAN (NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION 180G 2LP)

Price: $39.99

solid presentation and the sound is unbelievable.

a must own for any vinyl fan!!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea for a thread. I troll those PT Vinyl Brahs threads very regularly too.

I picked up a handful of Sam Cooke records in Florida over the weekend for $4 each and a NM copy of Live Rust for only $5!

Two 'new' releases I have acquired recently that haven't been relegated to the stacks yet and I would recommend:

1) Camper Van Beethoven - Our Beloved Revolutionary Sweetheart. Sounds and looks great (although I really wish all records came with a download for listening on the road):

http://www.deepdiscount.com/lp/CAMPER-VAN-BEETHOVEN-OUR-BELOVED-REVOLUTI-816651015443

2) Magnolia Electric Co. - Songs : Ohia

http://www.soundstagedirect.com/songs-ohia-magnolia-electric-co-vinyl-records.shtml

Edited by Guest

cool, let me know how you like the new album phorbesie, I own every dbt vinyl put out but don't have the new one. I haven't been revisiting them lately so have been holding off on buying the new one. But i am sure it's only a matter of time before i grab it.

Count me in on this thread, I've got quite a big collection on vinyl at this point. I've got about 500+ 45rpm singles, mostly Reggae, Dub, Soul, Funk, Classic Rock.. 500+ 12inch album collection are mostly Afrobeat, Breaks, Brooklyn Soul (Daptone, Truth n Soul, Dunham Records), Classic Rock, Reggae & Funk Compilations/Reissues and Electronica/Remixes.

The latest album I got in the mail which felt a lot like Christmas was the new Prince Fatty vs. Mungo's Hi-Fi.

Edited by Guest

The repressing of Ohia comes with a fourth side that is their original demo tape. It holds up just as well as the main album.

Does anyone have a record cleaner that you recommend? Those crazy kids on PT have money and recommended one that was $700. I am sure there is something that will work just as well but not set me back that much.

agreed I love the new Mike Gordon Album, I have an extra copy of the poster signed by Mike if anyone needs one. They accidentally sent me two ;). only 300 made has the image on the vinyl on a poster signed by mike. $45.00 is what i paid for it.

i am excited that my new DBT record just showed up. looking forward to listening to it tonight! with some whiskey :)

Mine arrived last week, I was away in New Brunswick though so I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. Maybe tonight.

Great thread idea btw.

Here's a link to my instagram. I haven't done it too much lately but I have a ton of photos of my albums up there, should anybody be interested in checking them out.

http://instagram.com/boilerrat

yes i love when a vinyl comes in the mail. it's like Christmas!! and a few splashes of scotch are always in order for first listening!!

Records and splash of scotch? Are Frazier, Miles and the gang there with you? This whole thread screams pretentious as fuck.

Talk of packaging and autographs and how-much-you-paid without sharing photos of said record with the shots of scotch is about as lame as my asking for luck vibes on ebay auction bidding (thanks again everybody, I hope you can accept my apologies for being a douchebag on those).

Remember, Make it visual, hipsters - or else, why does it even matter?

Talk of packaging and autographs and how-much-you-paid without sharing photos of said record with the shots of scotch is about as lame as my asking for luck vibes on ebay auction bidding (thanks again everybody, I hope you can accept my apologies for being a douchebag on those).

Remember, Make it visual, hipsters - or else, why does it even matter?

lol, well a lot of people know me on this thread and I know I have this stuff.You too thread bashers i have never met, maybe scwha once at a nero party. I have extra's why not share the wealth. My collection is quite large. I am an vinyl addict to the fourth degree. As far as glass a scotch I drink scotch a lot. Since being employed at the lcbo for the past two years my palate for good booze has developed. I have a few nice bottles at home I take a splash of when i listen to records. Good enough explanation for ya brah's lol douch. now back to record talk.

Same thing I say to people who complain about peoples facebook posts (ie. what I ate for supper and hey look how beautiful my kids are), you don't like it, keep scrolling, your life will continue. :)

Vinyl is fun and it's fun to talk about. The medium does matter.

I think rdio is awesome as hell too, small subscription fee and easy access to mostly everything that gets released without going through the hassle of downloading it. I'll never give up digital but it's just not the same as putting on a record. There is something special about it, that is totally unpretentious. I also find it really neat, that it's the soundwaves, encoded into the vinyl. So if something happened, like a giant solar flare, and everyones hard drives got zapped, I could still find a way to amplify those sound waves and listen to music. It's a romance.

I've had so many hard drive crashes and had to recreate my digital collection, it was nearly enough to drive me insane. Vinyl will always be there, unless I burn my house down.

Edited by Guest

I am more interested in finding new music I really enjoy, the medium is irrelevant to me, I don't suspect this thread will be a source for me, though I am always interested in what some of you are listening to, we have similar tastes.

agreed, I do listen to vinyl but i listen to music all day and night. i have 3 hard drives full, i have flash drives in my car and a subscription to xm radio. I even sometimes listen to the radio. I am always in search for new grooves. But when I am home and need to relax and listen to some really nice grooves vinyl is the way I go!!. I think now it's more of an obsession obviously I can't listen to all but i try, I am not a collector that just sits on them I actually make an effort to listen to them. But to keep my collection going further I do sell some stuff otherwise i could never afford to keep buying more records.

I was like you guys once; I didn't care about the medium. I knew the sound was inferior on many sources but convenience and portability ruled.

Then I moved in with a girl with a massive collection of records. I realized pretty quickly 1) that I missed collecting something 2) that there were albums I felt like I was listening to for the first time 3) that the hunt and the buying and the storing made me care about the music again, it wasn't just another gig on a hard drive 4) that I find listening to a whole side of music at a time to be more relaxing and interesting than a mix or skipping around or even listening to live shows.

With the help of some audio geek friends and kijiji, I put together two great systems and now have rich stereo sound in both of our common areas. Our record collection / collecting has brought us closer together and taken us on some great adventures. If you think that is pretentious, to each their own- but vinyl brought me back to my teenage days when music was all consuming and I fucking love it.