Jambands.ca

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic unveils 2015 lineup

DevO

Tickets went on sale 3 days ago.  Get 'em while you can!  :D

http://exclaim.ca/News/greenbelt_harvest_picnic_announces_2015_lineup_with_gordon_lightfoot_kathleen_edwards_basia_bulat

Greenbelt Harvest Picnic Announces 2015 Lineup with Gordon Lightfoot, Kathleen Edwards, Basia Bulat

By Alex Hudson

In 2013, Neil Young & Crazy Horse were due to headline the Greenbelt Harvest Picnic, but they had to cancel, replaced by Gordon Lightfoot. In 2015, the environmentally minded festival will once again be going with Lightfoot as its headliner.

The veteran Canadian songwriter heads up a bill that also includes Kathleen Edwards, Basia Bulat, Gregory Alan Isakov, Martha Wainwright, Dinner Belles and more.

The event takes place on August 29 of next year at Dundas, ON's Christie Lake Conservation Area. It emphasizes environmental conservation and the eat-local movement. In addition to the concert, the festival will include a farmers market, horticultural workshops, art vendors and more.

Tickets go on sale on Saturday (November 29), a full nine months before the festival. Adult tickets cost $79.50, plus fees. Youths between 11 and 16 get in for $19.50, while kids 10 and under are free.

Tickets will be available from Ticketbreak.com, by calling 1-866-943-8849, or at the Hamilton store Picks and Sticks, as well as Dr. Disc.

More lineup additions will be unveiled in the coming weeks.

While I have loved the venue and the fest in the past, the lineup needs to be better than this for me to consider going for a third year in a row. Gord just doesn't have what it takes to play outdoors anymore (IMO).

Last year it felt that they have gotten a bit greedy with the number and types of vendors which impacted our business.

And finally the change back to Labour Day weekend is not a plus.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Another article:

http://www.thespec.com/whatson-story/5813876-contract-breach-puts-iron-and-wine-out-of-harvest-picnic-festival-lineup/

Festival founder and organizer Jean-Paul Gauthier said the contract with Iron and Wine, dated December 2014, stated clearly that the, "Artist agrees not to perform within 90 days and 100 kilometres of Hamilton, Ontario."

"I will not comment on the conversation we had, but in the end it was decided that they breached that term," said Gauthier.

Last Thursday, Iron and Wine played a free show with Ben Bridwell of Band of Horses at Canalside in Buffalo. From the Harvest Picnic location at the Christie Conservation Area, Buffalo is less than 125 kilometres away by road on Google Maps.

But the contract radius measurement is a direct line from one point to another, said Gauthier, which places Buffalo 80 kilometres away.

As the bird flies??  Really?  This just makes the festival look bad, not to mention the fact that Lanois isn't coming this time. Has he washed his hands of the whole thing? 

Nearly every distance restriction on music contracts is as the crow flies, that is industry standard - but this is just nit picking.

My guess is that ticket sales are really poor and they wanted to find a way to dump some of the talent budget at the last minute.

That Gauthier guy seems like a fucking prick.

Over the past three years they have kept vendor fees the same while nearly tripling the number they allow in.

Unless sales are really strong tomorrow this will be our last year.

Lanois is busy with another project is what I was told by The Sadies a couple of weeks ago.

Someone made a good point in the comments section of that article about the loonie plummeting since that contract was negotiated. For a small festival if (IF) they were paying Iron and Wine $50k, the change in the value of our dollar might have cost the fest an extra $5k or more adding to my feelings that they did this for the $$.

If as the crow flies is industry standard, then I guess Iron & Wine's argument is not a good one. But still it is not convincing that the Buffalo show (under a different name band name I think I read) would have interfered with HP ticket sales, and for sure it is nit picky. And probably to save dough. Just too bad that Lanois' ownership over the event (not literal) seems to have dried up. Maybe his contract with Supercrawl has a time/distance clause. ;-)

Guest Low Roller

To add to the bad mojo, Kathleen Edwards had some of her gear stolen yesterday from her home in Stittsville, specifically a 1957 Les Paul Junior guitar. No word if this will impact her appearance at the festival. 

Kathleen still played but did not show up for her Friday soundcheck. That ended up being one of my highlights of the weekend as Jim Bryson played a few songs and then the band took turns trying to sing her songs in her range for the sound guy while they had a potted plant 'standing'in for Kathleen. Hilarity ensued.

It was a good day of music but wasn't great for vendors. The festival nearly doubled the # of booths available and the attendance was clearly down. By the time Arkells took the stage there could not have been more than 1000 people in the park. Seeing the poor attendance, the cash grab with the vendors booths and the huge increase in food vendors I'd hazard a guess that the Iron and Wine cancellation was definitely to cut costs.

Putting Martha Wainright on at 130 pm showed how little the organizers know about programming a festival.

It was a nice day in a nice park listening to nice music but nothing was outstanding except the taco stand. Typical Harvest Picnic.

Yes I heard the whole thing and watched half. While the guy certainly has talent and chops, he took the wind out of the afternoon sails a bit. IMO it was too down tempo after a powerful set by Basia Bulat in the late afternoon, while the crowd was getting closer for Rural Alberta Advantage.

I'm certain that he has played there previously and I felt the same way.

Perhaps someone needs to help him select better material to play for a festival crowd.

I could see it being pretty mellow for a larger festival stage.  I've never seen him live.  Picked up an album of his years ago because the music store I used to frequent had him playing when I was in there and I really liked it.  Kind of forgot about him for a while until I saw he was on this line-up.  I'd still like to see him play in a smaller room.  He comes to Buffalo it seems every once in a while.  Maybe someday.