Jambands.ca

What's your favourite pop song to play on guitar?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Easy question. What pop songs* do you bust out on the guitar, either ironically or seriously, when your audience doesn't particularly appreciate a Grateful Dead jam?

* My broad definition of a 'pop song' is a song that is recognizable due to frequent radio play and typically of a 3 minute length

A quick list of mine off the top of my head:

- Save Tonight by Eagle Eye Cherry

- Good Riddance by Green Day

- Free Fallin' by Tom Petty

- Don't Be Cruel by Elvis Presley

- Titanium by David Guetta

* My broad definition of a 'pop song' is a song that is recognizable due to frequent radio play and typically of a 3 minute length

First, I guess it would depend on what type of radio you listen to, but using your definition, there isn't very many for me to be honest. I typically only play in basements or around fires with like minded people or alone, but  I'll try to post a few.

Bob Dylan - long list, but I imagine you can figure out which songs meet the 3 minute criteria. (hint: not many)

Squeeze - Up The Junction

John Lennon - Working Class Hero

John Prine - Paradise/Please Don't Bury Me

David Gilmour - There's no way out of here

Woody Guthrie - Pretty Boy Floyd/ Pastures of Plenty/Plane Wreck At Los Gatos

Guy Clark - Dublin Blues

Tim Hardin - Reason to Believe

Anyway, thats a few off hand I can think of.

Guest Low Roller

Let me apply some context to the question as it might help open the conversation, or simply ostracise me completely from this message board.

I was in Dubai recently for a wedding. The crowd was pretty international as you would imagine. The day after the wedding there was a huge backyard party at the bride's house, with a huge catered buffet, and a large group of guests, of varying age and background. At some point a guitar emerged and my eyes opened pretty wide. My wife knew that look on my face, and instantly said "don't you dare". I dared. 

The first guy to grab the guitar decided to play "No Diggity" by Blackstreet using some pretty basic power chords. The crowd roared when he finished a fairly simple rendition. Next the father and uncle of the bride collaborated on a pretty nice rendition of an Elvis Presley song. I stepped up and played a couple of tunes, including Rodeo Clowns by Jack Johnson, and Shady Grove by Garcia/Grisman. I was well received and met with applause after what I believed to be a good couple tunes under the circumstances, but yet felt that if I could play a song that the crowd recognized, and played it well (which I trust I can), then it would have been that much more impactful and memorable.

I'll drop Purple Rain but only know so many words. It's got a very familiar chord prog to open.  It just gets everyone going "Purple Rain....Purple Rain" and can do that over and over and people can start screaming like prince.  

Of course, (nearly) ANY beatles song works in those situations.   Kick things up with Twist and Shout, or mellow things out with Here Comes the Sun.  So many tunes to choose from.

I've been in similar situations, Roller.  More specifically, since I've moved to rural NS. The songs people respond to are usually songs I've grown to detest, like any number of top classic rock songs from the past 50 years you might name.

Thing is, I get it.  When your sitting around drinking and having fun everyone just wants to hear what they know and can sing a long to.  I just can't bring myself to devote time to learning those songs!!!

So anyway, I'd love to see a list of fun to play, not so obvious, "appease the drunks" songs for moments as such.

I've been in similar situations, Roller.  More specifically, since I've moved to rural NS. The songs people respond to are usually songs I've grown to detest, like any number of top classic rock songs from the past 50 years you might name.

Thing is, I get it.  When your sitting around drinking and having fun everyone just wants to hear what they know and can sing a long to.  I just can't bring myself to devote time to learning those songs!!!

So anyway, I'd love to see a list of fun to play, not so obvious, "appease the drunks" songs for moments as such.

Challenge accepted!

I'll start

1. Copperhead Road

Guest Low Roller

Excellent point that people respond to stuff that they can sing along to. Case in point is Viva La Vida by Coldplay. That chorus has the wordless "Whoa-o-o-OOOOO-ooo-o! Whoa-o-o-OOOO-ooo-o!" that the crowds eat up.

Any other such examples?

good thread!

What's Goin On - 4 Non Blondes

Sloop John B - Beach Boys

Paranoid - Sabbath

Cynthia - Blue Rodeo

Downbound Train - Springsteen

Gimme Three Steps - Skynard

Dead Flowers - Stones

I don't want to leave you on the farm - Ween

Don't Worry, Be Happy - Bobby McFerrin

Just to name a few.  If it has a G C D and maybe an A, I'll play it :)

and thought it pains me to say, but the mainstream fans have just recently found this one and they fuÇking love it:

Wagon Wheel

I was going to say this. People love this around a camp fire, although you'll quickly learn that most people can only sing along to the chorus and the bridge. Still fun, though.

Most well known Blue Rodeo songs work in the same context, with the same caveat as Wagon Wheel.

Things I have learned but havent completely put into practice

Rule Number One

Have a Beatles song in your arsenal

Rule Number Two

Have a Stones song in your repertoire

Rule Number Three (and I am serious here)

Have a Steve Miller song in your repertoire - everyone goes crazy for his songs because they inherently know the words, thank Steve Miller's Greatest Hits