Jambands.ca

THE WAILERS w/Resinators....who's going???

briguy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone! Saw dieseldoug's post about The Wailers and thought I would bump this and add some info.

There are still tickets available through all Ticketmaster outlets, the venue, Dr. Disc in Hamilton, Shady Grove, and Spiritual Smoke Hamilton/Niagara Falls.

The band line-up has had a few recent changes. One being Al Anderson who has been replaced by Junior Marvin! That's right, Jr. is back!!! Not to be confused with Jr. Murvin, Marvin is an original Wailer and an amazing guitar player.

The players are:

Aston Familyman Barrett - Bass

Gary Nesta Pine - Lead Vocals

Earl Wya Lindo - Organ

Junior Marvin - Guitar

Glen DaCosta - Saxophone

Keith Sterling - Keyboards

Ernest Williams - Drums

Melvin Glover - Guitar

Arnold Brackendridge - Trumpet

Pascale Kamga - Background Vocals

Marie Luce - Background Vocals

I tried getting a complete bio on all the players and failed miserably. All I could get was a few of the musicians discography's and they're way too big to post. I can say though that Aston, Lindo, Jr. Marvin, Glen & Keith are original Wailers and the rest have toured and or recorded with them in their heyday. The other musicians are from the bands Burning Spear, Israel Vibration and Black Uhuru. This is one serious line-up filled with the worlds best reggae players. Don't miss the show!!!

Check out the happening article by Brent Hagerman in this weeks VIEW magazine. Familyman's amazing. Has some harsh words for Rita Marley though, ouch! It's a great read. The story starts on the home page. Click here to read it. There's also a great article in The Hamilton Spectator. I'll see if I can get it posted soon.

There has been a recent addition to the event and Toronto dub reggae band Resinators will be opening the show. Resinators feature legendary keyboard player and producer Bernie Pitters who has recorded with Toots & The Maytals, Bruce Cockburn and recently shared the stage with Gregory Isaacs. People around here might know his name from the cd "Fire On The Mountain: Reggae celebrates the Grateful Dead". Also plays gigs with Gary Lowe & Mojah from Big Surgar. Actually Gary used to play bass for the Resinators between gigs with Big Surgar, that would be pretty wild if he showed up as well.

It's an early show starting at around 8pm and finishing up at about 11:30 so you if you have to work the next day you'll have plenty of time to get some sleep.

Hope to see ya all at the show.

Cheers.

Hey guys... anyone from Toronto got an extra seat in the car for me...? I would love to catch the show.

Also, I know this is gonna be a very disturbing question to many of u, but how can a lot of u guys be fans of Burning Spear, Bob Marley, and basically dance it up, when the lyrics are directly attacking you?

I don't have enough time to get into it at this moment but their lyrics are not attacking me, maybe my ancestors in which I'm ashamed of the history they mapped out. Do you know anything about Rastafarians? It's colourless and any true rasta would tell you that.

Hope that helps. [smile]

There are four bars not two and the back bar never gets that busy, at least it didn't for the Little Feat show. One of the side bars will probably be closed for VIP leaving three bars open.

Cheers

the political aspects of the religion do still need to be reckoned with in a serious manner.

seriously? i was just planning on having a little fun.

but, if you feel it needs reckoning, go ahead.

commercialization of the rasta? in this day and age, everything is commercialized... popes, buddhas, its all fasionable. besides, if money stopped flowing the world might stop spinning. its sad but true. we built this city on economies of scale, not rock and roll.

anyway, time to get a little roots, rock, reggae! light it up like its 2004!

Wow, sorry LSD25. Didn't mean to offend you and I certainly didn't want to make you think i was attacking your knowledge of the rastafarian movement when i asked you if you knew anything about Rasta. Until your last post you didn't express much knowledge within this thread and i was curious where your opinion stemmed from. I think it's a great topic of discussion. Sorry the post was insulting to you. It's the last thing I wanted to do.

And as for your comment regarding political activists who think I'm continuing the crimes of my ancestors especially in regards to the first nations community in Canada and the United States. That's a great topic as well. Not for this thread though. I feel very strong about native rights. I just recently witnessed in my own community how easliy their rights are rejcted. It's appaling. I've spent many times campaigning for native rights.

Sorry again and maybe we'll chat more about this at a later date. Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by LSD25:

Actually there are numerous political activists that would say that u are continuing the crimes of ur ancestors especially in regards to the first nations community in Canada and the United States.

Being the father of a first nations(Cree)/Canadian girl,I am interested in what your saying,since I know that there are many extremist activists that would say that,but the more positve activists decide to educate (and self govern now) instead on finger point,...from my close relationships with many first nation folk I have found that the majority of people tend to lean towards the positive activists(ones who protest goverment,land deals etc,instead of blame others),since the finger pointers are never taken as true activists but trouble makers instead,hence not being able to get legitamate points across the to public that they have within their accusations(true or not,blaming me for shit that occured before my ancestors were here..etc).As for continuing crimes of my ancestors,well my ancestors were people who were against the gathering of first nations people being segradated to reservations,instead wanting retorbution(SP?) for the crap that occured before they migrated to Canada....what a crime eh?I hope I am continuing that "crime" then... [Roll Eyes]

Ps.This isnt an attack on you LSD25,just another outlook on it.

Sorry to continue this in this thread,but I wanted to address the one statement made is all.

well I just find this converstation very interesting. LSD25 makes some excellent points. I think that western culture has made everything for sale, including spirituality. I also think that people who say they are rasta because they like bob and smoke weed should at least learn more about Hailie Salasie, etc. It has gotten very 'trendy' lately. People always call me a rasta because I have dreads... But I'm not. I definately idenitfy with it because it is soo full of love. I think if you are interested in it then go out and read about it, learn about it, talk to people who believe that Hailie Salalie (sp??) was God.

I really think that this culture needs to learn how to respect other's spiritual beliefs..

just my 2 cents...

cheers,

Sarah

Actually there are numerous political activists that would say that u are continuing the crimes of ur ancestors especially in regards to the first nations community in Canada and the United States. As for attacking my knowledge of the rastafarian movement, most of my knowledge does originate in the Marcus Garvey movement that advocated the back to Africa movement, with the understanding that the oppressed "black" (Fanon would have an issue with this conception) would never be able to exist as equals with the white power base i.e. babylon. Furthermore, I do not believe that this white power base has been uprooted by any means, thus the poignant lyrics of Burning Spear and Bob Marley do still resonate with the Third World (I use Third world rather than South with the revolutionary understanding coined in the post-second world war era). It is correct to state that Rastafarianism as a religion does not exclude on the basis of race, however, the political aspects of the religion do still need to be reckoned with in a serious manner. The commercialization of the "rasta" has been problematicized and analyzed by numerous academics. The religion, however, should not be watered down to dreadlocks, ganja, Bob Marley and numerous catch phrases like I&I, Babylon etc. There was a political force behind it, and this motivated the likes of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Burning Spear, and newer artists like Anthony B.

I'm excited about this show! It's been years since I've been to a reggae show. Just looking at the pictures of the band makes me want to go! And with all of those players, it should sound really sweet ... lots of rhythms to move to while the mind reflects on the lyrics.

My first show of 2004, and one that has the potential to make a "best of 2004" list!

Peace, Mark

must say this thread has an interesting "tone" to it.. I have to admit, as far as "Rasta" goes, i am fairly ignorant to the concept. However, I do have a great deal of knowledge in regards to American history... Did you know that South African Apartheid was based on our reservation system, in regards to Native Americans.. Yet, I do believe that attitudes in this country have changed considerably... However, the comment that money keeps the world spinning?? Well, maybe for us nobility in Western culture, but the reason why money "makes the world go round" is because we allow it to...

anyways, I hope you all have a blast at the show, I know I will... adios amigos/amigas...

Archived