Jambands.ca

Daredevil

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I know that there is a Netflix thread already, but I felt that this topic deserved its own thread.

Minor spoilers below? Not much really.

When Marvel first announced that they were doing some Netflix exclusive shows I was excited at the possibilities. When they announced that Daredevil was going to be the first such show, I got worried, with memories of the cheezy Ben Affleck movie of the same name a decade ago. Then when I saw the first image from the set I downright panicked:

Daredevil-Marvel.jpg

What the fuck was this? It's not even Daredevil as I remembered him from the comics. I was worried that Marvel was going to produce something akin to the fluffy TV appropriate material that DC did for Flash and Arrow. DC's latest effort The Atom looks even worse. Marvel has hit a home run with every property they have converted to movie and TV (I'm not talking about 20th Century Fox with the X-Men and Fantastic Four franchises or Sony and the Spider-Man franchise), and I was concerned about a drop in quality as I love the MCU, and don't want to see a trade-off of quality for quantity.

I think I finally got excited for the possibilities when I heard that the Kingpin Wilson Fisk was going to be the primary enemy, which makes absolute sense. He is the Joker to DD's Batman. I avoided the majority of the trailers leading up to the release, but I think it was the simple teaser of the city burning in the shape of DD's insignia that I finally got excited again.

B6w3Jq0CEAENy8i.jpg

I decided to watch the first episode with an open mind, prepared to give it an honest chance, thanks to all the good will that Marvel has bought through all the amazing movies they have put out. I was hooked immediately from the opening scene. The mood of the show is established as dark and gritty, very Batman-esque as a lazy comparison, with dramatic music quietly playing in the background throughout. But unlike Batman, Daredevil is established as a simple guy who is fighting for the city he grew up in. There are no grappling hooks, batarangs, batmobiles, etc... there are simply fists and boots to faces. The hallway fight scene in the second episode is probably the greatest single shot fight scene ever. Daredevil shows weakness, shows exhaustion, and shows humanity, while being outnumbered yet has a never-die attitude that drives him to continue.

The supporting cast is suitable, never taking away from the main character, but having their own story arcs which add moments of levity amidst the drama, and help accentuate and support the struggle of the main character. 

Saving the best for last is Vincent D'Onofrio's take on Wilson Fisk. We all remember the cartoonish Kingpin from the Allfeck movie. This is nothing like that. D'Onofrio is the true star of this series, adding so many layers to the character, including love interests, abusive past, power struggle, and refinement. He is the single most complex villain I have seen since Loki, probably even surpassing him as far as best villain in the Marvel universe. Simply tremendous.

4ec35db0c8a7d96a7c1c20670c20bad8.jpg

As far as pacing goes, the 13 one-hour episodes tell a very compelling self-contained story that had me binge watching as best I could. The hooks at the end of each episode were too much to not continue watching to see what happens next. I felt however that the drama peaked around episode 10, and that the last three episodes were a bit of a comedown despite the major plot points coming to a head in the 13th episode. 

If there were no more Daredevil, you could look at these 13 episodes as a satisfying interpretation of a well known comic character, and leave happy. But there will be more! Netflix has four more shows in the plans that will all be in the same universe as Daredevil: AKA Jessica Jones (the one that I am least familiar with), Luke Cage, Iron Fist (oh hell yeah, one of my favourites growing up), and finally The Defenders which will bring all the characters together, including Daredevil, for an epic super team crossover. I really hope that the Kingpin will somehow be involved in that. So yeah, Marvel continues to do no wrong. 

ironfist-lukecage.png

Guest Low Roller

Yeah, they dropped the whole season in one shot. Makes the binge viewing very appealing.

I also forgot to mention that since this show was made for Netflix they were able to get away with more violence and swearing, not gratuitously however, to add to the realism. It's not a show for kids at all. If your child likes Iron Man and you think this will be more of the same superhero goodness, then you're in for a surprise. Whereas the Avengers are all about fighting the big fight, flying the flag, and being all superhero-like, Daredevil is on the streets, in the alleys, on the ground, fighting and bleeding because it's the right thing to do.

Of course this all leads to the obvious speculation of when will Netflix greenlight a Punisher series. You know they are thinking about it...

big_thumb_3b08594568095e6c5900f173d71bb3

yeah I'm hooked, only into 3 episodes so far and loving it. 

I used to collect Daredevil comix and i really thought the who brand was ruined by Affleck's portrayal.. but i think Low Roller nailed it that they got it right this time.  Now that I live in NYC, it's added bonus to recognize the different parts of the city.

Guest Low Roller

It depends on how many video games your boy plays? Does he cackle with glee when he gun butts an alien in Halo, and then teabags his corpse? Does he frequently see red and go on rampages while playing Grand Theft Auto, and ensures to whack a ho along the way? Does he shoot his squad in the back during Call of Duty just 'cause? Does he purposely go against the grain in racing games to see how much wanton destruction he can cause in one fell swoop? I do, and I'm kinda messed up. If so, Daredevil might be appropriate for him. 

But in all seriousness, I would say that Avengers is more comic book violence (not much blood if you notice), whereas Daredevil is very much bloody and disturbing at times. I would not recommend it for a seven year old.  

• 1 month later...

Finished season one yesterday. Fantastic stuff. Great arc in the first year and I am really enjoying how they are building the main characters. I am completely unfamiliar with this superhero so possibly there may be complaints from those in the know but not me. Gotta be way more to that old Asian woman I figure and Wilson Fisk is already one of my favorite villains I have ever seen in a tv series (holding off on spoilers for those who might not already know). Really enjoyed his character and he was my favorite part of the show. Also love the Hannibal Lector character and how he is portrayed on the tele but that's literally another story for another time.

Hitting the Flash next. Heard really positive things.

Guest Low Roller

Based on my general knowledge of the basics of this character's origin and motivations, the Netflix series completely stayed true to the source material.

More good news: Agent Carter renewed for a second season!

• 2 weeks later...