Jambands.ca

Halloween MSG: Dead and Company ( Core 3 + John Mayer, Chimenti and Burbridge)

Jay Funk Dawg

It was a solid show for sure! Mayer's playing was, to pin it to one word, tasteful (even if his facial contortions while playing have to be the worst in the game). He really killed at times and the crowd really responded to it but he didn't devolve into any one man wankery. There was a lot of smiles and visual cues between he and both Bob + Oteil all night. His enthusiasm was infectious and a breath of fresh air.

Oteil was the 1st star last night - he was prominent in the mix from my seats and he was super- exploring every last harmonic of the lows and highs of that six string bass. Security was really lax, I really like that venue because of the staff. The crowd in my section was awesome. It was even better when KevO and his crew took up some of the empty seats around me. I had one neighbour across one row for most of the first set. 

My only complaint was the long line to get through security. It seemed it didn't move at all for a while and then the flood gates opened. I was surprised at the metal detectors but this is becoming much more common, I guess I should just get over it. {{Old man shakes fist at clouds}} Well I guess I could complain about that El Paso too but you've got to know your audience....

This was my first return to the venue where I saw my first Phish show, 10/19/96, a pivotal moment for me. So going back was exciting in and of itself. Highlights for me were Dark Star, Viola Lee > Wang Dang Doodle, China Doll and Althea. I thought 2nd set was WAY noticeably tighter than first set.

Our seats were back at the back of the upper deck, but with plenty of empty seats in sight we stayed there for exactly one song. We watched most of the first set from the side of the stage (Chimenti's side) on the upper deck. It was alright, but for second set we were glad to relocate to NW's section in the 200s where the sight lines and sound were x300 better. And catching up with NW was sweet.

I'm telling you guys, taking a limo to a show is the way to go. I only go to shows in limos now! 

"Well I guess I could complain about that El Paso too but you've got to know your audience...."

If Hux were still around these parts I could make an El Piss-O break joke in his general direction.

What a difference 20 years makes. Anyone else remember how bad that 1994 Summer Tour was? That's when everyone knew something absolutely horrific was going on, even though there had been some major cracks in the foundation many tours/years before.  

I haven't had a moment to weigh in since Wed night. Plus kinda felt like I had to reflect a bit on this one.

Overall a good show. I think a few factors aligned that took the wind out of my sails a bit...some mid week exhaustion and feeling under the weather, rush to get there, not very good seats and an incredibly OCD level of nothing short of harassing security presence in our section made it hard for me to fully find my groove or that place I seek. I was surprised to hear NW's account of security. Our experience was very different. We were even getting harassed in our seats if someone stepped a foot out of place... literally doing nothing at all. Wouldn't have dared given the hawk eyes. Nowhere to step out on set break. Wandered around a bit second set and almost every nook and cranny we wee ushered to move along. It was weird. Esp how relatively tame we were.

Having said all that some incredible moments. There were periods where to be honest I found the energy to be a little flat in comparison to some of what I had heard prior (but maybe it was me).

My highlights were similar to KevO. Here comes sunshine and definitely Althea in first set...nice whimsical vibe. The dark star, drum space back into dark star>China doll were worth the trip alone and a moment I will hold onto. I found Casey Jones to be a weird and abrupt close. But I am left wanting to see more of this band so that's an absolute win. Hoping rumours of more touring are true and that Mayer continues to get looser and gritty it up to complement his beautiful fluidity

I found Casey Jones to be a weird and abrupt close. 

I agree. I'd love to see the setlist they had planned. The delay with security, I feel, led to a delayed start time. At most of the shows they have gone on at 7:15 ish while Buffalo was just after 7:30. When I looked at my phone and saw 7:15 the place was maybe 20% full and that arena has a strict 11pm curfew.