Jambands.ca

Halloween MSG: Dead and Company ( Core 3 + John Mayer, Chimenti and Burbridge)

Jay Funk Dawg

a18023d9-414c-43ec-a483-229dcd2fa690_zps

Just announced.

No Phil... he's playing a sold out show that night at Capitol Theatre.

Overheard: "Phil quit the Dead" -Col Bruce Hampton, "Oteil will replace him." 

Not sure how I feel about this since they said Farewell, but its in my city so probably a no brainer.

some more info here; http://www.jambands.com/news/2015/08/05/weir-hart-and-kreutzmann-to-play-msg-on-halloween-with-john-mayer/ 

Just got fwd'd an email from Concert Joe's NYC show list: 

The END of the GRATEFUL DEAD as We Know It !

The NIGHTMARE has come True !

Next, they'll get Taylor Swift to sing the Donna Godcheaux parts and Justin Bieber to do the Pigpen parts.

Then we'll have ryan seacrest introduce the band on american idol.

Having John Mayer replace GARCIA surely has JERRY rolling in his Grave. 

I won't be there !

It's against my Religion.

I'd go if it was in my hood.  Won't be dropping the money that was spent to go to Chicago to do anything similar any time soon, and I stand by the fact that those shows were special and unique...the whole scale of the experience was really one for the ages.  And hey if they continue to play in various different contexts, with various different collborators that is all good by me.  If they are healthy enough to keep sharing the music in interesting ways I don't really see any reason why they shouldn't.  I think this line-up will surely be interesting. The way or wording of how the fare-thee well shows were marketed was very specific and strategic.  Not surprised by this in the slightest and my reaction overall is a positive one.

Keep on keepin on!

My sources say that they have night 2 (Nov 1) on hold depending on demand.

John Mayer is a great guitar player, however I think i'd be way more excited to see a Steve Kimock, Jimmy Herring, Warren Haynes, Jackie Green or even John Scofield as the guitar player.

Mayer certainly has the chops, as evidenced by his recent gig with Phil recreating 5/8/77, and I'll be interested to hear this project. That said, while I totally get people preferring others over him based on different playing styles, closed-minded outright dismissals like Concert Joe's, above, are laughable for their ignorance and hypocrisy. Also, I can't see how anyone could feel burned that this is happening after Chicago. As edger pointed out, they were careful to say only that the "core four" wouldn't reunite.

I'm sure everyone there will have a grand old time, which will qualify this as a win.

SCI just announced a NYC show the week before:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/3B004F01DD581098?camefrom=AEGLIVE_PSCIRNYC102315AEG001&et_cid=NYC_StringCheeseIncident_PSE_080515_V-NewYork&jobid=36476572&et_rid=JESSEGUGLIELMO@GMAIL.COM&bid=10850289

MSG Theater

Presale:  Thursday @ 11am
Password: CHEESELIVE

General Onsale:  Friday @ 11am

Mayer certainly has the chops, as evidenced by his recent gig with Phil recreating 5/8/77, and I'll be interested to hear this project. That said, while I totally get people preferring others over him based on different playing styles, closed-minded outright dismissals like Concert Joe's, above, are laughable for their ignorance and hypocrisy. Also, I can't see how anyone could feel burned that this is happening after Chicago. As edger pointed out, they were careful to say only that the "core four" wouldn't reunite.

I'm sure everyone there will have a grand old time, which will qualify this as a win.

Agreed (as usual).

Dude is a really good guitar player and he is no stranger to jamming.  It's weird that an audience known to accept such a variety of sonic experiences within a rock band context (drums/space, country music, occasional extremely questionable vocals, barbershop, vacuum solos, etc) can dismiss things out of hand before they hear them*.  And it's not like this is a court-ordered sentence or anything...Bobby, Billy, and Mickey CHOSE to play with this guy.  How can people not have any faith whatsoever in the musical opinions of their musical heroes?

*I did this in the early 90's with Nirvana; heard the first ten seconds of Smells Like Teen Spirit and had the band pegged as talentless hacks.  Never went to see them live and only realized Kurt's genius after he was dead.  I'm not gonna let that happen again.

One of the biggest potential winners in all of this is John Mayer himself...potentially grants him access to a whole new audience and level of respect amongst musicians and music lovers alike. I'm sure financially he is already in excellent shape so I could see this being a huge and welcomed opportunity for him to grow and cultivate some good ole' fashioned cosmic depth. 

Ironically, tons of these fans will sing "Aint no time to hate" when given the opportunity. I look forward to hearing what this collaberation brings to the table. Mayer speaks about it here

John Mayer and three members of the Grateful Dead will be playing New York’s Madison Square Garden under the name Dead & Company on Oct. 31. Turns out, Mayer only recently become a fan of the group.

Mayer tells Billboard that it all started in 2011 when he heard “Althea” on a Pandora station and was immediately struck. From there, he started listening to the Dead on satellite radio. “I feel like my generation also has SiriusXM to thank,” he said. “The Grateful Dead station on Sirius is its own experience, especially if you drive. If you live in Los Angeles, it’s such a brilliant way to score the commute.”

Because he was only 17 when the band broke up following Jerry Garcia‘s 1995 death, Mayer acknowledged that his Dead experience is different from the traditional fan, because he only knows them on a musical level. “I represent this generation of listener who didn’t go to those shows,” he explained. “There was no sensory bonus for the music. I don’t know how much a T-shirt was or who made the best chili. I don’t have any of that fan show-going experience, so I really discovered the music on a totally pure level. … I didn’t come it from the experience of ‘a friend brought me to a Dead concert in 1987 and I had the time of my life.’ I came at it, like, this music transports me to a place in my own imagination.”

Rumors that Mayer was going to embark on a project with the Grateful Dead first surfaced in April, when he was spotted “in a rehearsal-like setting with select members of the group.” Bob Weir, Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann will join Mayer and Allman Brothers bassist Oteil Burbridge for the Halloween concert. To prepare, Mayer said that he’s been practicing “four to five hours a day. It’s been 15 years since the last time I sat in the room and just tried to get better at playing. It’s what I’ve called Grateful Dead University. It’s like a study abroad — a totally immersive course and a real self-driven scholarship.”

One of the biggest potential winners in all of this is John Mayer himself...potentially grants him access to a whole new audience and level of respect amongst musicians and music lovers alike. I'm sure financially he is already in excellent shape so I could see this being a huge and welcomed opportunity for him to grow and cultivate some good ole' fashioned cosmic depth. 

Yep.  Just like what happened to John Scofield.  

I was surprised that Mayer discovered the Dead a mere 4 years ago.  He's 37 now, but how could you escape hearing songs like Truckin' and Casey Jones on classic rock radio, or be oblivious to the bumper stickers, tie-dye T-shirts & US cultural significance of the band? 

Interesting that they originally called themselves 'Los Muertos' - although I think Dead & Company is a better name, at least should cement that they are playing Grateful Dead songs, not a new project that has new songs or one that is playing Mayer's hits. 

I am sure he heard those songs and may have seen stickers and and shirts (think about how rare they are now compared to 20 years ago) but its obvious a light didnt go off until he heard Althea. He was probably focusing on his own music because I gather he is a pretty decent guitar player ;-)

"I don’t know how much a T-shirt was or who made the best chili."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...