Jambands.ca

RIP Glenn Frey

bradm

Another great musician gone.  I'd read a while back he wasn't doing well but never realized to what extent. Sad news indeed.

Wouldn't consider myself a hater but I was never a fan of the Eagles. Though I did see them during the 'Hell Freezes Over' tour (CNE). Just one of those bands that was simply way over-played in my world while growing up, or maybe it was the folks I knew and met that loved them that turned my off. I dunno, nor really care.

I was into them for about 5 minutes, then lost the taste for it. Years later got the greatest hits and found it a bit samey. Very similar in tone for vocal and instrumental harmonies. I tended to like bands that had a bit more breadth and variety to them. Then I started listening to their proper albums a couple of years ago and the lightbulb switched on. Hearing the songs in their proper album context was a real ear opener for me. I've been fanatical about them ever since.

This is a total bummer. Even though I liked to bust his balls from time to time over the Don Felder issue. Frey was one of the greatest voices and prolific writers of rock. No slacker as a musician either. I always wished that he'd make up with Felder and do one more super tour with the classic lineup.  

ya how classy and bold...

As long as you start a sentence with "no disrespect" than you can say whatever you want about a person and their life investment at the time of their death, and it's ok.  Given his angle and needs not sure why he felt compelled to say no disrespect in the first place.  A turd in a shiny glitter box is still a turd.

The most offensive line for me was :

And hating the Eagles defines whether a music fan is a fan of music or just a bandwagon-jumper.

Excuse me, but who in the holy fuck are you to invalidate anyone else's music tastes? And whether someone likes, dislikes or hates the music of the Eagles (and I will be open in that I really did not care for their music for most of my life before becoming a huge fan in the past couple of years), is now the fucking time to print this and crap all over their fans who are in mourning?

Y'know how the most vehemently anti-gay people are mostly just deathly afraid of admitting they're...you know...kinda curious?

Same thing with these people that are going out of their way to bash The Eagles.  You just know they tap their (twinkle)toes to Take It To The Limit when nobody is looking.

• 2 weeks later...