Jambands.ca

Your top albums of 2018?

c-towns

'Tis the season for your lists and I look forward to this years lists with the influx of lurkers surfacing in the last few months. From what I am gathering, its never been easier for people to track what they are listening to and how much via Spotify and such. I am still stuck in the past with regards to any sort of tracking, I just stroll through my folders to remember 2018.

Albums

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Barefoot in the Head (these cats continue to lay down solid music and are my favorite live band going these days)

Lukas Nelson & the Promise of the Real - Lukas Nelson & the Promise of the Real (my fav song this year featuring Lady Gaga, didn't think I'd ever say that)

Hiss Golden Messenger - Hallelujah Anyhow ( I really discovered their entire catalog this year which is definitely worth a review if you haven't)

Willie Watson - Folksinger Vol. 2 (a beautiful rendition of Samson and Delilah as well as other classics)

The Barr Brothers - Queens of the Breakers (this is their first release that has really grabbed me since the slip, seeing them live this year also helped)

The Deep Dark Woods - Yarrow (it sounds very similar to their last albums, as they say, why mess with a good thing)

Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice (love their backing band, Courtney is definitely channeling Lucinda)

Antibalas - Where the Gods are in Peace (a welcome return of an album after no new music for 5 years)

Some Live releases

Pigeons Playing Ping Pong - The Great Outdoors Jam (great live album, the opening jam Poseidon is how to open a show)

Marco Benevento - Woodstock Sessions (this is also his first release that has grabbed me, go figure, its liveish)

The Tedeschi Trucks Band - Live from the Fox Oakland (complete with a stunning DVD, this is also one of my favorite bands going these days)

The Wood Brothers - Live at the Barn (I love Oliver Wood's voice and it comes across live well)

Still need to Listen to albums

Yonder Mountain String Band - Love Ain't Love

Infamous String Dusters - Laws of Gravity

Spafford - Abaculus - An Improvisational Experience

Deer Tick - Vol.1 & Vol. 2

Dead Man Winter - Furnace

Blitzen Trapper - Wild and Reckless

Old Albums new to me

Chico Hamilton - The Master (this gem from 1973 features most of Little Feat and apparently helped them find their r&b groove)

Robert Palmer - Pressure Drop (most are familiar with Little Feat backing him on 1974's Sneakin' Sally Through the Alley, they also back him on this album in 1975)

Thanks for the list c-towns, lots of great stuff in there! (You really should change the subject of this thread though!)

I stopped buying albums this year.

I bought my first album, Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" in 1975.

I amassed a HUGE collection of records, tapes, and CDs over the next 4+ decades.

Don't get me wrong, I love the great sound quality of CDs, the nostalgia and artwork of vinyl records, but I've simply run out of room.

I'm at the age where I want downsize and eventually move to a smaller house. So I don't need any more physical albums.
The same goes for books. No more room on the shelves.

I subscribed to a popular streaming service this year. As a result, I'm listening to pretty much everything. I also subscribed to LivePhish,
I listen to that quite a bit (especially all those Bakers Dozen shows).

Some of my favourites of the year include:

Barr Brothers - Queen of the Breakers

Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference

LCD Soundsystem - American Dream

Mike Gordon - OGOGO

Steven Wilson - To the Bone

Todd Rundgren - White Knight

Whitehorse - Panther in the Dollhouse

St. Vincent - Masseduction

Edited by Freak By Night

Colter Wall - Colter Wall yet I cant even imagine what the next King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard albums are going to be like because those assholes promised a bunch over the next two years. I cant wait to hear them but my favorite song from next year is this perfect inception and it's gonna get me laid like a mother fucker. This is going to be a pretty good album from all that I gather thus far

Liking the lists so far, as always!

I've separated out my top 3 for this year because I listened to these three albums way, way more than any other new albums.

Signing up for Spotify was a game changer this year -- otherwise I'd have a lot more under the "albums i haven't heard yet" category!

2017 TOP ALBUMS:  (a three-way tie!)
Mike Gordon - OGOGO
Barr Brothers - Queen of the Breakers
Ryan Adams - Prisoner

NEW-IN-2017 ALBUMS I'VE ENJOYED:  (In order)
The War on Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
A. Savage - Thawing Dawn
Beck - Colors
Ryan Adams - Prisoner B-Sides
Kamasi Washington - Harmony of Difference
Land of Talk - Life After Youth
The xx - I See You
Jeff Tweedy - Together At Last

2017 ALBUMS I TRIED TO GET INTO BUT NO LUCK THUS FAR:
Bonobo - Migration
Feist - Pleasure

2017 ALBUMS I HAVEN'T GOTTEN AROUND TO LISTENING TO YET, BUT I PROBABLY WILL LATER:
Gord Downie - Introduce Yerself
Kevin Breit - Johnny Goldtooth & The Chevy Casanovas
Mavis Staples - If All I Was Was Black
Tinariwen - Elwan
LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
The National - Sleep Well Beast
Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice