Encore

Contact

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Notes

*P. Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up) Tease

# with George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic

% acapella - one verse only

(Are we on the internet lapping it up?)

Yeah, not one to judge a show by a setlist, but this review from PhantasyTour got me excited to buy the Livephish download!

Poster by "rhombus21" on PT:

Wow..

This was my 94th Phish show stretching back to '91 and my initial reaction is to call this one of the top 5 I've seen. We got hooked up with 5th row center seats and backstage passes through a friend and I obviously got to hang out with some very cool people but even that was overshadowed by the sick show. The whole thing was tight, rocking and high energy throughout every song. Basically, your standard 12/30 show. It is no exaggeration to say every song was some sort of highlight but here are just the real big ones.

Highlights:

Sand>Shafty-So sick! Trey was all over the place and I noticed he was drinking beer which he had not been doing the first 2 nights. Could tell this would be a special show.

Weigh-Played for a guy holding a Weigh sign. Love this tune and this was a perfect version.

Gin>2001-A ripping Gin. The band was just having so much fun and it spilled out into the crowd. After the jam peaked it started to phase out and turn into possibly the highest energy 2001 I've ever seen. Lots of teases here including a Gin jam, a Sand jam and a full verse of the Parliment Funkadelic tune "Wants To Get Funked Up". It was at that point that I knew George Clinton would be coming out later. My friend who got me the passes had winked and told me to expect something special and I now knew what it would be.

Tube-When the band came out for the 2nd set, Trey picked up a frisbee that someone had thrown onstage during the set break with something written on it. He held it up for Mike, then Fish, then Page and finally showed it to those of us up front so we could see that it said Tube. Trey tossed the frisbee back into the crowd and they launched into an absolutely epic Tube. Long and absolutely jamming! An instant classic.

L.A. Woman-This seemed so spontaneous coming smoothly out of the Tube jam but as they began to play the whole song it was obviously way too tight to not have been at least partially rehearsed at some point. Great jamming but highlighted by Trey singing as well as I've heard in years. He went all out on the vocals and nailed all the notes perfectly. The following jam was heavy with Timber Ho. This went into..

Birds of a Feather-Not much to say other than you must hear this. Many different themes. Awesome. Then of course back into LA Woman which rocked again. This led to another sick jam that wound into..

Makisupa-Didn't play much of this. After the first verse Trey was about to say the keyword when he walked over to Page and had a lengthy discussion. He came to the mic and said he had asked Page if they could play Touch Me with Fish singing but Page said no because they don't remember the words and they don't know the horn parts. He started laughing but the crowd was so audibly dissappointed that he stopped Makisupa and said he felt like he had caused a real letdown and they would do the one thing that is better than Fish singing Touch Me, bring out P-Funk.

P-Funk-I'm not going into detail here as I'm sure it's been discussed at length. Simply, everyone needs to hear this. It was incredibly tight considering there were 11 musicians onstage at once. Trey stepped forward at the end and was going off as hard as he possibly could. All the P-Funk guys left the stage while the jam continued and eventually ended with a Fishman vacuum solo. The band left the stage to exchange well deserved hugs with their guests and then returned to continue with Makisupa.

Touch Me-Trey stopped Makisupa to say they would now prove to us that playing with P-Funk was better than Fish singing Touch Me by letting Fish sing one verse of Touch Me. Page did the intro and Fish stood up and sang the verse. Hilarious. It was just one of those shows.

Disease-Unreal. Everything they touched tonight turned to gold. A perfect sick, jamming way to close the set.

Guitar Gently Weeps-Contact was good but this was the meat of the encore. Trey's playing here can only be described as filthy. A jaw-dropping version just like so many others tonight. I was exhausted but they could have played another 5 hours for all I cared.

Basically, this was one of the finest Phish shows I have ever seen. I do not throw this kind of praise around lightly, I've seen some classics. I would venture to call this the best post-hiatus show so far, in my opinion. I was up close for Nassau too and this show surpassed it. One New Year's note: Wilson was left unfinished, so can anyone else see a "Blap Boom" Wilson ending as a opener tomorrow? We'll see. Anyway, my last words will be for anyone who doesn't already know it, don't ever miss a 12/30 show.

Later.

Archived