Jambands.ca

x

Joan

I love you Megs, but there's no effing way you're gonna last. You love meat, especially bacon and sausages! You even woke me up early at Frontier Town and at Izzy's make me eat sausages! You're almost a carnivore for Christ's sake!!!

Why don't you go real Ghandi style... only fruit and nuts, you wouldn't want to be responsible for the deaths of innocent vegetables.

No eggs either. You'd be killing those poor possible chicks.

Oh yeah, and no milk on your cereal. No enslaving cows. That means no cheese... Good luck!!!

[Razz][Razz][Razz][Razz][Razz]

Ps. Not to mention shrimp, lobster, crab, salmon...

Whoa...

I'm gettin'hungry!!!![big Grin]

yummy and easy recipe for tonights dinner:

tast-e veg burritos

cook 1 cup of rice (throw in some whole garlic cloves with it to cook)

add 1 big can of black beans and some salsa (maybe 1/2cup?!?!?)

mix it all up

grate some cheddar

chop some cilantro, tomato and red onion

wrap it all up

if you're cooking tvp - some pointers based on my experience: put it in a dish and add water til it's covered. once it's soft then put it in a frying pan with some oil. you cannot add too much spice to tvp - i load on the cayenne, salt and pepper, and other spices depending what i'm doing with it. i usually add some soy sauce too - adds some salt and some colour content - gets rid of the dogfood smell for sure.

tast-e veg chili

a whack of tvp bits

a whack of tvp chunks

(prepared as above - fry it up a bit before adding the veg)

add chopped carrots, jalepenos, onions, zucchini, garlic, tomato, peppers, spinach (anything, really), maybe some frozen corn

cilantro's always good too.

cook em all up for a while til the veggies get soft, add a can/jar of tomato sauce, more spices as necessary (chili powder, cayenne...)

let it sit for a while on low....

mmmmmmmmmyummmmmmeeeeeeee [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by Thorgnor:

Oh yeah, and no milk on your cereal. No enslaving cows.

I guessing that you don't know what a "drop calf" is. To the best of my knowledge, dairy cows need to be kept pregnant (well, frequently pregnant) to keep them lactating. The resulting calves are called "drop calves." Once they're born, they've pretty much outlived their purpose to the farmer. I guess you could eat 'em if you really wanted to, but dairy cattle ain't the same as beef cattle.

I've actually bought TVP at Loblaws. Not to say it's at everyone but look around it isn't too hard to find. I spent 4 years as a vegetarian before I realized I couldn't do it right. It is a lot harder than it seems to not eat any meat and try to find another source of protien to replace it.

The only good advice I can give you is what I learned by living on my own and having no money... Stag Vegetable Chili. It's cheap and it eats like a meal!

Here is Shain fantastic vegetarian gruel!

2 cans of beans. (white and kidney)

some veggie sausage, diced

1 onion, diced

2 cloves garlic, chopped

2 carrots, cut

2 celery, cut

1 green pepper, cut

loads of spices like salt, pepper, cayenne, oregano, thyme, cumin and a bit of anise

1 can of really anything in the fridge you need to get rid of.

and my trick:

1 bottle of stout.

let it sit for two hours and you're good to go. enjoy with a bowl.

Blech. Non-vegetarian gruel is horrible so why would you want the veggie version.

The moosewood books are excellent starts for you, as is the Rebar cookbook if you want to get all fancy about your vegetarianism.

I would also suggest buying TVP and legumes from a bulk store or (second choice) a health food store. It's much cheaper than buying it in packaged form. Health food stores will carry what you need but you'll pay a big premium for it. I don't know where you're located but if you're new to tofu I would look for "Soyarie" brand tofu, I've found that it's the densest and best tasting. Put it between two weights to drain out the water before using too...it will fry better and retain it's shape.

I used to eat vegetarian meals about once a week with my folks. When I went to University I never ate them. Since I've been with my veggie partner I've been eating them about 3 times a week, and I can say it definitely gets easier and easier once your body azdjusts to it. You'll start feeling more active and alot less tired. you'll probably lose weight too. When I was in India I was eating vegetarian meals exclusively...when I came back I had lost about 25 pounds but I felt great.

Good luck, and if you need recipe ideas post a message and check the cookbooks and websites mentioned. If you get stuck ingredient-wise (i.e. you're getting bored of what you have) I'd suggest going to a local asian grocery store and picking out unique spices, sauces, and even vegetables you've never heard of.

quote:

Originally posted by Thorgnor:

I love you Megs, but there's no effing way you're gonna last. You love meat, especially bacon and sausages! You even woke me up early at Frontier Town and at Izzy's make me eat sausages! You're almost a carnivore for Christ's sake!!!

That's hilarious. That is almost exactly what I said! To be honest though, as much as I cannot imagine megs making it as a vegetarian, I also cannot image there being anything that she couldn't do if she wanted to. [smile]

quote:

Originally posted by \/\/illy:

To be honest though, as much as I cannot imagine megs making it as a vegetarian, I also cannot image there being anything that she couldn't do if she wanted to.
[smile]

This is so true. Meg is one of the strongest and most stubborn women I know - I think if this is what she wants to do, SHE'LL DO IT.

But just to test the waters, I say we all go out for some Jimmy's Lunch sunday morning and taunt her with that 3 inch thick bacon...mmmm... bacon

Harland Williams(just for laughs)

My friend Larry is one these vegetarians,

.....any vegetarians, out there rockin in the house with grandaddy flashmaster?

vegetarians here, anyone?

how come now, tell me buddy....

you wont eat anything with a face!

..is that it?

but you'll go right ahead and eat a head of lettuce won't you?

you'll suck the eyes out of a potato!

...won't you?

eat a heart of artichoke, eat a big ear of corn!

But nothing with a face!?!

I don't mind vegetarians, its just my buddy Larry is all militant about it.

everytime we go out to dinner he gives me a lecture....

were out to dinner the other night, we order this food.

I order a great big juicy steak, he orders a great big leafy salad.

He looks at me and says...

"Hey man, you should be a vegetarian like me,you'll be alot healthier, and you'll live alot longer."

So I picked up my steak....

I flap it in his face,

and i say....

"You know what Larry... this cow used to be a vegetarian, and he's not looking to healthy to me right now! So just watch your mouth there salad bar breath, cause when all the cows are gone, were coming hunting after you ..lettuce eater!"

Archived