Jambands.ca

One hit wonders

Phred

quote:

Originally posted by bones:

i want to say the song
Amadeus
but can't remember the artists name right now...i'm thinking Valdy, but any image search only brought up the folk singer Valdy from out west

RobNotBob, i'm counting on you here!

i think he's Austrian and had one other tune that got radio play

It's by Falco, isn't it??

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

i want to say the song
Amadeus
but can't remember the artists name right now...i'm thinking Valdy, but any image search only brought up the folk singer Valdy from out west

" Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco. He also had another hit: Der Kommisar

He was a German pop star that died in a car crash a few years ago.

I can't believe you guys own that Pac Man Fever album. I picked it up on tape out of a bin at a Frenchy's in Nova Scotia coming home from Evolve. I'm sure I made MK and John Kent listen to it at the end of a high guy night. I just figured it would be good to sample or fuck around with.

And the man behind Amadeus (Rock Me Amadeus) is none other than Falco from a little album called Falco 4.

Children behave

That's what they say when we're together

And watch how you play

They don't understand and so we're

Runnin' just as fast as we can

Holdin' on to one another's hand

Tryin' to get away into the night

And then you put your arms around me

And we tumble to the ground

And then you say

I think we're alone now

There doesn't seem to be anyone around

I think we're alone now

The beating of our hearts

is the only sound

Look at the way

We gotta hide what we're doing

'Cause what would they say

If they ever knew and so we're

And then you say

I think we're alone now

I think we're alone now

is the only sound

I think we're alone now

I think we're alone now

is the only sound

And then you say

I think we're alone now

I think we're alone now

The beating of our hearts is the only sound

-

i'm going to put on my legwarmers and dance [big Grin]

quote:

well, i'm looking forward now to RNB proving me wrong, so here goes:

this dude from The Knack, singing
Mysharona
c.1979...he looks like a priest

-

Scritti Politti...
Perfect Way
from
cupid & psyche

-

i want to say the song
Amadeus

Sorry for being Herr Ubergeek ... [Razz]

The Knack had one other hit single, Good Girls Don't (But I Do)

Scritti Politti had a few big single in Britain, such as Sweetest Girl and Faithless, and Perfect Way was also covered by , of all people, Miles Davis, who played on their song Oh Patti. I gather Green Garside, their lead singer, is one of these guys who are so fixated with perfection that it takes many years for them to get an album out (see Blue Nile, Red House Painters, My Bloody Valentine).

The guy you are thinking of is Falco, whose other North American hits were Der Kommissar (covered in English by After The Fire) and Vienna Calling, although Rock Me Amadeus remains his biggest hit. He died in a car crash a few years ago.

Anyone else? [Wink]

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

I think we're alone now was already a hit by Tommy James and the Shondells. Tiffany also got a lot of annoying airplay with her cover of "I Saw *Him* Standing There". She just couldn't come up with her own hits.

RnB

I also recall a parody called "I Think I'm A Clone Now", referring to the similarities between her and Debbie Gibson. (They were both "tween" pop sensations known for easily forgettable song performed mostly in shopping malls.)

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I also recall a parody called "I Think I'm A Clone Now", referring to the similarities between her and Debbie Gibson. (They were both "tween" pop sensations known for easily forgettable song performed mostly in shopping malls.)

Aloha,

Brad

Debbie Gibson at least wrote her own songs. Granted, they sucked, but still ...

I forgot whatever point I was trying to make,

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by earthfreak:

also, sinead oconnor has done lots more than her one hit, but nothing compares 2 U was probably the only one most folks know.

One of my old bands used to play "The Emperor's New Clothes" and Uncle Seth sometimes does an acoustic version of "Last Day of Our Acquaintance". Neither were huge hits I guess but Sinead has a lot of great songs IMHO. I have a hard time thinking of her as a one-hit wonder.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

One of my old bands used to play "The Emperor's New Clothes" and Uncle Seth sometimes does an acoustic version of "Last Day of Our Acquaintance". Neither were huge hits I guess but Sinead has a lot of great songs IMHO. I have a hard time thinking of her as a one-hit wonder.

- M.

One song that DID NOT climb the charts ( especially in Ireland ) was the little ditty she sang on SNL that ended her career.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

- M.

One song that DID NOT climb the charts ( especially in Ireland ) was the little ditty she sang on SNL that ended her career.

She never recorded it, AFAIK, it was War by Bob Marley. It wasn't the song that pissed people off, it was her tearing up a picture of the pope afterwards. I actually don't think it caused quite the stir in Ireland, most of the flak came from the States where they aren't the most tolerant of dissident opinions. I wouldn't say it quite ended her career, she did record music and get airplay afterwards, but she did take a hit. I'd say what did more to dampen her career was it seemed that after that her music got rather dreary and preachy ... nothing with the kick ass intensity of Lion And The Cobra.

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

She never recorded it, AFAIK, it was War by Bob Marley. It wasn't the song that pissed people off, it was her tearing up a picture of the pope afterwards. I actually don't think it caused quite the stir in Ireland, most of the flak came from the States where they aren't the most tolerant of dissident opinions. I wouldn't say it quite ended her career, she did record music and get airplay afterwards, but she did take a hit. I'd say what did more to dampen her career was it seemed that after that her music got rather dreary and preachy ... nothing with the kick ass intensity of Lion And The Cobra.

RnB

She sang Bob Marleys "War" at the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary concert,instead of a Dylan tune,she was angry because she was being booed after the whole SNL crap.Kris Kristofferson came out to comfort her...she is/was a disgrace to that show,why it was ever kept on the video is beyond me.

quote:

Originally posted by Qu'est-ce que c'est?:

the other day on the radio:

"mama let that boy play some rock 'n roll,

jazz is much too crazy, blah, blah, blah...

first pair of shoes, blah, blah..."

i think by 'Doucette?' correct me if im wrong, but im not really up on my shitty music.

I believe you are correct.

More from the "Oh my GAWD why did you have to make me remember THAT?" vault:

"Disco Duck"--Rick Dees

For DancingFool (if you play it, he will dance):

"Rasputin"--BoneyM (although I think they had more hits than that, and I don't mind their version of "King of the Road")

"Seasons in the Sun"--Terry Jacks (please don't kill the messenger ...)

"Brand New Key"--Melanie

"One Tin Soldier"--Coven

"Witch Queen of New Orleans"--Redbone

"Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"--Lobo

"Indian Reservation"--The Raiders

"Drift Away"--Dobie Gray

"Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road"--Loudon Wainwright III

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

More from the "Oh my GAWD why did you have to make me remember THAT?" vault:

"Disco Duck"--Rick Dees

"Seasons in the Sun"--Terry Jacks (please don't kill the messenger ...)

"Brand New Key"--Melanie

"One Tin Soldier"--Coven

"Witch Queen of New Orleans"--Redbone

"Me and You and a Dog Named Boo"--Lobo

"Indian Reservation"--The Raiders

"Drift Away"--Dobie Gray

Now theres a soundtrack to my childhood. Good picks Arcane. Didn't Melanie have a huge hit with 'Candles in the Rain'?

[smile][Cool][smile]

Archived