Jambands.ca

One hit wonders

Phred

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

quote:

Originally posted by bsherman:

Unfortunately I thought this thread was about something entirely different. Oh well.

Well, to go with what the Basher is thinking about, I'll nominate that band that did that all-too-brief-a hit, "Touch Of Grey", but never managed to get anything else into the charts... [Razz]

Aloha,

Brad

'Walking In Memphis' - Mark Cohn

(The King of One Hit Wonders)

'Luca' - Suzanne Vega

(Thanks for making a song about a boy that gets beaten so that my name would have even more to make fun of instead of just the run of the mill

'Luke I am your father')

quote:

Originally posted by shitidiot:

Big country- In a big country
-

Sigh ... Fields Of Fire was a pretty big single as well of their first album, and they got lots of air play in Canada and hits in Britain with following albums and singles. Big Country were a great band, it's a pity their lead singer/guitarist killed himself a couple years ago.

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

Wang Chung had a few hits ... before Everybody Have Fun Tonight was Dance Hall Days and the theme from To Live And Die In LA ... God, I'm old.

You said it Rob. I was all about Dance Hall Days backinthaday. Everybody Have Fun... what a sellout!

As for the good ol' Grateful Dead... don't Casey Jones and Truckin' count as hits?

Hey Kung don't forget 'Silver Thunderbird' from the same album as 'Walking in Memphis'...that kept Cohn on the billboard charts for almost a year.

I'm liking the fact that 'one-hit wonders' and other semi-successful tunes are sort of re-emerging as sample fodder for bad dance music and hip-hop. Think 'Islands in the Stream' for hiphop and the piano from silver thunderbird in a pounding trance tune...heard that one at a club once...

quote:

Originally posted by arcane:

"Pac Man Fever"--Buckner and Garcia

Oh my gawd, I have that LP - it's all odes to 80s video games, an absolute riot:

Side One

Pac-Man Fever

Froggy's Lament

Ode to a Centipede

Do the Donkey Kong

Side Two

Hyperspace (about the game Asteroids)

The Defender

Mousetrap

Goin' Berzerk

I may have to go home and listen to that one tonight. [big Grin] Thanks for the reminder arcane.

- M.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

quote:

"Pac Man Fever"--Buckner and Garcia

Oh my gawd, I have that LP - it's all odes to 80s video games, an absolute riot:

Side One

Pac-Man Fever

Froggy's Lament

Ode to a Centipede

Do the Donkey Kong

Side Two

Hyperspace (about the game Asteroids)

The Defender

Mousetrap

Goin' Berzerk

I may have to go home and listen to that one tonight. [big Grin] Thanks for the reminder arcane.

- M.

Does it have "Space Invaders" on it? I've got that "He's hooked / He's hooked / His brain is cooked" thing running through a small part of my braing right now...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

"Never Say Never"--Romeo Void

"Video Killed the Radio Star"--The Buggles

I seem to recall Romeo Void having a couple more hits, like "Just Too Easy To Break Your Heart" and "Girl In Trouble (It's a temporary thing)"

While it doesn't really count, after The Buggles spent time as members of Yes, the individual members had hits in other projects, Geoff Downes with Asia ("Heat Of The Moment", "Don't Cry") , and Trevor Horn both with Art Of Noise ("Peter Gunn", "Paranoimia") and as a producer (Yes, ABC, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Bronski Beat, Band Aid, Simple Minds, Godley and Creme, Grace Jones, Seal, etc.).

Arcane, could you please give me an e-mail at rainmakerrtv@hotmail.com ? Thanks.

RnB

well, i'm looking forward now to RNB proving me wrong, so here goes:

this dude from The Knack, singing Mysharona c.1979...he looks like a priest

-

Scritti Politti... Perfect Way from cupid & psyche

-

i want to say the song Amadeus but can't remember the artists name right now...i'm thinking Valdy, but any image search only brought up the folk singer Valdy from out west

RobNotBob, i'm counting on you here!

i think he's Austrian and had one other tune that got radio play

quote:

Originally posted by bones:

i want to say the song
Amadeus
but can't remember the artists name right now...i'm thinking Valdy, but any image search only brought up the folk singer Valdy from out west

RobNotBob, i'm counting on you here!

i think he's Austrian and had one other tune that got radio play

Falco.

Aloha,

Brad

Archived