Jambands.ca

Top One-Hit Wonders To Be Resurrected

bradm

OK, let's try cross-pollinating one topic with another and see what happens...

What one-hit wonders would you like to see (or do you thing should) have more hits?

I heard "Down Under" by Men At Work this morning on the radio, and it struck me as a song that's dismissed by a lot of people for being cheezy, but I think it's cheezy-by-association: it came out near the start of the video revolution, when a lot of other seriously cheezy music came out (e.g., British synth-plop bands), and, for me, remains stuck in that group of songs that were transient hits when I was in high school.

All of which doesn't change the fact that, to my ears, it's not a bad song: it's catchy, has quirky lyrics, and some pretty good playing. I'd like to see more from guys who can produce that.

So, you have the opportunity to wave the magic baton and allow a one-hit* wonder to have more than one hit; at whom do you wave it?

Aloha,

Brad

* A "hit" in this case refers to a top-40 single, ideally in North America.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

I'm getting Men At Work and Men Without Hats mixed up. Aren't they both duos, maybe even brothers? Which one does the 'Can I have another piece of chocolate cake' song?

Men At Work:

- Best-known hit: "Down Under" (see "From:")

- Best-known hit style: reggae-ish

- Best-known line(s) from Best-known hit:

quote:

He just smiled

And made me a vegemite sandwich

Men Without Hats:

- Best-known hit: "Safety Dance"

- Best-known hit style: dance-pop

- Best-known line(s) from Best-known hit:

quote:

We can dance if we want to

We can leave your friends behind

'Cause your friends don't dance

And if they don't dance

Then they're no friends of mine

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

I'm getting Men At Work and Men Without Hats mixed up. Aren't they both duos, maybe even brothers? Which one does the 'Can I have another piece of chocolate cake' song?

Crowded House, at that point they were half-New Zealand with the brothers Neil and Tim Finn (former Split Enz) and half-Australian with Paul Hester (former Split Enz) and Nick Seymour (brother of Mark Seymour of the best damned band to ever come out of Australia, Hunters & Collectors).

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Musicface:

quote:

Originally posted by Rob Not Bob:

the best damned band to ever come out of Australia, Hunters & Collectors

Hey funny, I was just talking about doing a cover of "Throw Your Arms Around Me" - now that's a great song. Good call Rob. [big Grin]

- M.

They have a lot of awesome songs ... I have taped Crowded House on MTV Unplugged and the last song they played was Throw Your Arms Around Me. That is one of a number of their songs I would love to play, including Talking To A Stranger.

Obscure little one song Australian band I enjoyed was Mental As Anything , whose one tune was Live It Up. I confess I also enjoyed Lonesome Loser by Little River Band.

RnB

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Men At Work had more than " one hit "... unfortunately.

I was a huge MAW fan as a youth... had both of their cassettes! But yeah... there was also Who Could It Be Now?, It's A Mistake and Overkill... all big video hits as well.

Didn't Colin Wood have a bit of a comeback some years back? I seem to recall seeing him perform at some half-time show, as odd as that sounds.

quote:

Originally posted by ollie:

quote:

Originally posted by Jaimoe:

Men At Work had more than " one hit "... unfortunately.

Didn't Colin Wood have a bit of a comeback some years back? I seem to recall seeing him perform at some half-time show, as odd as that sounds.

Colin was on an episode of Larry Sanders. He performed live, but Larry had no idea who he was.

Colin James Hay was actually the name of the singer from Men At Work. He continued to perform solo after MAW, likely he still does. Some friends of mine saw him a number of years back at I think the Horseshoe or somewhere like that, they said he was a surprisingly accomplished guitar player and a hilarious mofo. Apparently he kept stopping in the middle of songs to tell weird stories or chat with people in the audience.

The band I was thinking of for a "resurrected" band would be New Radicals. Although their one hit ("You Get What You Give") was excessively overplayed, the album Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too was quite good, and personally I would have liked to hear another from them. Would also have been interested to see them live, although I think they were mostly a studio band - does anyone know if they ever even toured?

Peace,

Mr. M.

Archived