Jambands.ca

Discussion: Classical Music.. Yay or Nay?

shainhouse

I am talking about traditional western classical, just for this discussion.

I have recently inherited some old records of classical pieces. Some Beethoven, Bach, Chopin and others and all I can say is WOW! Anyone have any recomendations towards kick-ass pieces, performers or symphonies? Thanks!

Guest Low Roller

Excellent stuff Shainhouse. Just like any form of music, classical has its fair share of great music.

Chopin is obviously one of my favorites due to that whole Polish Connection thing. I also enjoy Modest Mussorgsky.

i love classical music...it's what i heard the most growing up...well and anne murray and neil diamond but I had a great uncle who was a classic pianist/organist, played pipe organ recitals all over the world, I inherited a massive collection of original Deutsche Gramophone 78's and 33's of it, all in wicked shape, I pull some out up at my folks place every now and then.

For me, I tend to gravitate towards the piano based pieces...that's where the mind,music and mathematics are most transparent. But god damn the immense power an orchestra in the right hall

has is breathtaking.

So for piano, definitely Glenn Gould's Bach Goldberg Variations...Sony has picked up the GG library and is releasing remastered versions on CD(don't buy old Classical CD's, lots were mastered from the vinyl masters, and sound wrong)

My fave piano recording is Vladimir Horowitz's The Last Recording...unfuggingbelievable, so much dynamics and such precise but fluid playing - my great uncle played alot of Haydn and Bach and that's the bulk of this recording.

And for some fun watch the Victor Borge video...yeah it's campy as shit but when he does play....

And go for the big shit, Vivaldi's 4 Seasons, Tschaikowsky's Nutcracker Suite, Strauss has all the cool waltzes, Beethoven and Mozart for the symphonies, and make sure you get your ears around Ravel's Bolero...my all time fave. For full effect get Allegro Non Tropo and watch it with trippy 70's Italian animation. Acutally, anybody who hasn't seen this NEEDS TO!

Do yourself and those around you a favour...don't listen to mp3's of classical music and don't listen to it on a crappy stereo either.

And if yer just looking for a bit of info or help breaking apart the various eras, check out www.naxos.com - they have a freebie book you can get and lots of info.

Here is the "stock" Bach:

Get the "Goldberg Variations" played by Glenn Gould (the 1955 recording) and just listen to it over and over again in the car or whenever you are bored. I guarantee that it will become a favourite and you will learn to love every note.

Do the same with the Bach Brandenburg Concertos (all six). They too will quickly become favourites.

Then put on the Sex Pistols!

Steve

I'm a fan of Mozart. I don't actually own anything except a bunch of mp3's. I'm sure the RIAA wouldn't go after someone for downloading Mozart mp3's considering his music wasn't around at the time of copyrights.

I also enjoyed the movie Amadeus. Great story and fantastic soundtrack. I'd highly recommend seeing that if you haven't. It's an interesting snapshot of the time period.

Franz Liszt was the rock star of his generation (early/mid 1800's)... critics of his day hated him but his compositions are tremendous

quote:

Liszt's personality appears contradictory in its combination of romantic abstraction and otherworldliness with a cynical diabolism and elegant, worldly manners. But though he had a restless intellect, he also was ceaselessly creative, seeking the new in music. He helped others generously, as conductor, arranger, pianist or writer, and took artistic and personal risks in doing so. The greatest pianist of his time, he composed some of the most difficult piano music ever written (e.g. the Transcendental Studies) and had an extraordinarily broad repertory.

-

Although it's not "classical", if you like orchestral music, Frank Zappa's album, The Yellow Shark has my highest recommendation.

It was done with The Ensemble Moderne, who devoted themselves to learning Zappa's music: they'd show up for rehearsal hours early, tackle pieces Zappa didn't think humans would be able to play, immersed themselves in a hexaphonic sound system (so that the audience felt they were sitting inside the orchestra), and even allowed themselves to be sampled by Zappa so he could experiment with arrangements using a Synclavier.

But the music is astounding. This is the album you lend to people who like orchestral music but don't think they'll like Zappa. The music ranges from solo piano, to dual piano, to small orchestra, to full ensemble, to almost "performance art" pieces with narration (done by members of the EM who didn't know they could narrate).

Aloha,

Brad

I've loved Bach and Vivaldi since I was kid, and would recommend many of the same pieces that have been mentioned.

A plug for Stravinsky, "The Firebird" is amazing. They play a little bit at begining of Yessongs, the first live Yes album. I have an old LP of it somewhere, it might be Zubin Mehta conducting but I can't remember. The excerpt from Fantasia 2000 is actually quite good too, although that's not the whole thing.

Holst's "The Planets" is also great - check out "Mars" if you want to know where John Williams got the idea for a lot of the music from Star Wars, particularly the Imperial themes.

Peace,

Mr. M.

Oh yeah, Stravinski was the man. To pique your interest, the premiere of his The Rite of Spring (a ballet) in 1914 (I think) inspired a remarkable riot only a few minutes into the piece. Stravinski and Najinski (the choreoegrapher) barely escaped with their lives as the high-society black-tie audience absolutely trashed and destroyed the new theatre. And it's an instrumental piece.

Could you imagine a new piece of music causing the standard NAC audience to destroy the building? Stravinski was the Sex Pistols of his day.

I'm partial to certain works by English and French composers ... Vaugh Williams (Fantasian On A Theme By Thomas Tallis and Sinfonia Antarctica), Satie (the Gymnopedies), Debussy, Berlioz ... is Barber English or American? I enjoy his work, too. Second bradm's vote for Zappa, I also enjoy his Orchestral Favorites album ... The Perfect Stranger is worth it if only for the descriptions of the pieces (one piece is described as "An elderly Republican couple attempting to have sex while breakdancing" [smile] )

RnB

Unfortunately classical music suffers from the same commercial forces that have ruined rock music...only the safe and familiar are promoted and acknowledged (remember the Scammy's err Grammys--the day that any experimental cutting edge contemporary classical or free jazz is acknowledged is the day the earth stands still)

Only the Romantic classical tradition is embraced...the three B's are constanly shoved down the listener's throat..Bach, Beethoven & Brahms ....do we really need to see some little

prodigy playing Mozart or Chopin anymore?

However to $urvive the classical music biz has to do this... the joke for the modern day composer is not that you can get your piece played once but TWICE!!!

Not knocking the music itself, I say yes dive in full force and absorb all you can but don't cut yourself off from the incredible sounds of this century!

Try some of these

Arnold Schoenberg

Bela Bartok

Maurice Ravel

Claude Debussy

onto the more "out" try

John Cage

Varese

Stockhausen

Paul Hindemith

Ligetti, Kagel,

Morton Feldman etc.....

Frank Zappa demands you try it!!

Some of my fav peices are

Khatchachurian violin concerto (David Oistrach v)

Sibelius violin concerto (Ida Handel v)

R.Vaughan Williams The Lark Ascending, Oboe concerto

Bela Bartok String Quartets, Viloin Sonatas

Prokoviev Piano sonantas

Shostakovich Symphonies

Darious Milhaud

Alberto Ginastera String Qts. & Piano works

It's a huge world to step into but well worth it!

N_n

Archived