Jambands.ca

holy moses- helluva turnout last nite

Booche

Guest Low Roller

I just woke up...

Damn! It's been a while since Ottawa had a good 'ol fashion throw-down like last night. Big ups to the bands and to the crowd for raising the energy to near frenzied levels.

And yeah, the draw was definitely fixed. [Razz]

I seem to recall walking out of 40 Main around 5am and getting into a cab that had just come into the driveway*. I got out of bed at 2pm, and stumbled around the house for a couple of hours with just enough stamina and verve to have a bowl of cereal for dinner...that's how exhausting the night was.

Dr. Huxtable threw down some of the heaviest stuff I've heard them do; I think I commented to Mike and Geoff that Mike brings a heavier/jammier almost BNB vibe to the band. Dr. Hux had a smooth-ish aspect to their funk before, but Mike's guitar, I think, sharpens it up and locks it down. Given that TMNS was closing, doing that "Jack Straw" closer was pretty ballsy (and good to hear; it's one of my favourite Dead tunes).

scottieking, scottieking! I've only ever really seen him sing once ("Hit Me Baby One More Time" at CTMF, May, 2002; there's a video of it somewhere), so this was a stone-cold treat. "The first genre I'd like to insult..." No, you didn't insult anything, you did it justice. The mark of a good cover tune is that, after you hear it, you think it's the only version of that song that should be done.

And then, while he's playing, the nero boyz start setting up...and then started playing! First just Chris and Jay, but then, yes, Dave! That "Sympathy For Devil" into whatever nero did was the highlight of the night for me.

nero tore the place apart. I think I commented that their last Montreal show (2004.01.24) was the best show of theirs I'd seen. This was like that two-set monster, distilled and compressed into one set. I heard Dave going off into guitaristic places I hadn't heard before; it was like he was letting it all hang out, and damn the consequences: whatever would happen musically, the band would adapt and then zoom off somewhere else.

The Music Never Stopped capped off the evening. I think Booche's setlist is right, but they also did "Sunshine Daydream" at some point, and a "Turn On Your Lovelight" encore.

The afterparty at 40 Main was a blast; furtherly exhausting, but a blast all the same.

Did anybody catch the one big announcement during the show? nero CD release party in Ottawa at Babylon, with GTB (man, I hope GTB gets its new CD done by then...), on (Saturday) April 17? [big Grin]

Aloha,

Brad

* If I poached the cab from someone, I heartfeltedly apologize.

Phew!!!!

You were still partying on Sunday Sally.... [Cool]

What a GREAT time on Sat! GREAT to see the peeps that came up for the journey, great time at Mavericks, Thanks to The Music Never Stopped for supplying the gear. 40 Main party took its usual debaucherous course.....what a night!

Brad I agree. Mike changes our sound for the better. He is Funktacular!!!!

Also Geoff on bass and Sharron kickin' it up a couple of notches changes the sound for the better too.

This is the band that I have always wanted to be in thanks to the musicality of everyone in the band.

(I know, we should get a room [Wink] )

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

I seem to recall walking out of 40 Main around 5am and getting into a cab that had just come into the driveway*.

* If I poached the cab from someone, I heartfeltedly apologize.

Bradm, Bradm...you are one sneaky little man! So I come flying into the kitchen and yell "our two cabs are ready". I wonder why I see Bradm quickly gathering his stuff and nearly knocking me over as he ducks through the crowd and runs for the door......I dash back out two seconds behind him to see him tearing off into the night in the cabbie!! You're stealth! Good job! I'm still chuckling over that situation. [Wink]

I had a great time Saturday night. I am completely broken today, as I think I am about 42 hours of sleep away from being well rested.

It was great to see all you guys and gals, especially those the show was set up to benefit. Hope you all enjoyed the *surprise* visit from myself and Stoned Phillips.

And little sis, you should go home and get some more rest so you do not catch a cold.

Back to "work",

Basher

quote:

Originally posted by bug:

wow, does this morning ever HURT!

I had such a great time Saturday, it was especially good to see my NEW brother and sister! I'll be informing my old family today that they've been replaced...

[smile]

Unlike the sister to whom you’re genetically linked, I actually shower.

Everything’s comin’ up Buggy!

[big Grin] Incredible! Thanks SO much everybody . Huge thanks to Nero,Dr.Hux(where's my Paul poster Hux)and The Music Never Stopped. What a great night, what great people. JUst incredible. Thankyous,thankyous,thankyous.

Sunday was up top with some of the messiest days after in my books......ouchers....worth every second of the pain though. J-Bone.....thanks for putting me to bed......it made the toilett a closer run [Wink] Thanks Mr. Hux for the after party and sorry for shitting on your man.....I don't think we were very constructive in our arguements...ah well. Again thanks to all who came , to the bands and to CafeDekcuf. Love Julia [smile]

Archived