Jambands.ca

How does that one taste Leaf fan?

SolarGarlic

Leetch, no Gonchar. 2 prospects and two draft picks for Leetch, eh? Esentially the same as what Boston paid up for Gonchar. They must have been deperate to get Leetch after Gonchar was dealt...and you can thank yourselves for that one, Leaf fan. Too much crazy preasure to trade for some name, any name...and this is what happens. Another old fart.

In other news, nice moves for the Habs and the Oilers ...

I think its a solid pick-up for these playoffs, he's still one of the better 2 way defencmen in the leauge and its not like they picked him up for the future of the team.

The stage is being set for quite possibly the best playoffs ever, and rightly so, seeing as there is not likely any NHL next season.

I'm gettin pumped, 75% of the teams that are gonna be in the playoffs have an equal chance in winning this year and Calgary definatly isn't one of them.

I am personally happy with the pick-up. Gonchar is probally a better defenseman but the leafs dont need an offensive one they need a 2 way defenseman like leetch. I think ottawa needs to step up and get a goalie...from what i can see lalime is playing like crap tonight against buffalo.

quote:

Originally posted by c-towns:

I think its a solid pick-up for these playoffs, he's still one of the better 2 way defencmen in the leauge and its not like they picked him up for the future of the team.

The stage is being set for quite possibly the best playoffs ever, and rightly so, seeing as there is not likely any NHL next season.

I'm gettin pumped, 75% of the teams that are gonna be in the playoffs have an equal chance in winning this year and Calgary definatly isn't one of them.

agreed. he is a good pick-up, I just think they gave away too much, especially if he is a rental. The real issue for me is, this happens every year. Leaf fans freak out cause some hot-shot is up for grabs in the market. Everyone talks and says how if they don't pick them they'll be pissed...yada yada. Then they don't get the guy they and everyone else wants and make, all things considered, a second rate trade or pick-up just to keep the wolves from eating them alive..just gets old..like the team itself.

I think it's a pretty good trade for the leafs and I hate the leafs. Gonchar is a one dimensional player and an unrestricted free agent at the end of the year. Leetch is still a good two way defenceman with another year left on his contract.

It still won't be enough to overcome the MIGHTY REDWINGS even if they do squeak through their conference.

quote:

Originally posted by SolarGarlic:

Leetch, no Gonchar. 2 prospects and two draft picks for Leetch, eh? Esentially the same as what Boston paid up for Gonchar. They must have been deperate to get Leetch after Gonchar was dealt...and you can thank yourselves for that one, Leaf fan. Too much crazy preasure to trade for some name, any name...and this is what happens. Another old fart.

Oh come on! Maxim Kondratiev and Jarko Immonen and a couple of lottery tickets for a proven leader and playoff performer like Leetch? If they had lost any of Colaiacovo, Stajan, Antropov or even Alexander Steen, I'd be inclined to agree but considering the relative merit of these players that may or may not ever really be able to have an impact in the NHL this is a good deal for the Leafs. The difference between Leech and most of the guys they've traded for in the last few years is that Leetch played a key role in Cup after most of the folks reading this were actually born, and as Jakis pointed out he's a good 2-way guy and a blue-line leader, which is what they needed arguably more than a guy like Gonchar who can definitely produce but isn't as strong all round IMHO.

I don't see this is as a move out of desperation or pressure at all, it's a good move for a piece they need to be competitive in an extremely tight division that is anyone's to win.

And I don't think he'll be a rental, I believe he's got at least another year on his contract that the Leafs are committed to.

Peace,

Mr. M.

first off, Boston got what they needed, and I don't like Boston... The Leafs didn't get what they needed, (A guy that can clear the front of the net) and until they do, there will be more blue jersey wearin cry babies in April!!!

The Habs made a great move for them!!!! Watch out for Les Habitants!!

Originally posted by SolarGarlic:

In other news, nice moves for the Habs and the Oilers ...

What the fuck is Glen Sather thinking, anyway? I mean, nice move for the Oilers, but really... is Sather just out to sink his own club, or what? Glad I'm not a Rangers fan...

Right on Scottie King! Im actually pretty happy with this deal... Brian Leetch will definately bring a 2 way game and alot of experience to a team that i think is startin to show signs of coming together at the right time... The effort against New Jersey could have shut down anyone... even Detroit Swifty ;)The whole eastern conference has been getting stronger and stronger ... I will say we are probably not done making any moves... i can see at least one more before the deadline... these playoffs are going to be so much fun...

The Leafs got a better two-way guy in Leetch, and he is a Norris Trophy winner. I know he's getting a little long in the tooth, but he still has a couple of good years left. They gave up nothing proven to get him; Mr. Musicface is bang-on in his assessement.

Gonchar would have been a bad fit in Toronto. The Leaf's need a good defensive guy and Leetch fits that bill, plus he can move the puck. I still wish they would have landed Brendan Witt.

The Oilers made this deal to get a goalie, plus the Rangers are willing and vulnerable dealers rignt now. Nedved is a fucking tool and won't help them at all. His best years are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind him, but Jussi Markkanen will challenge Salo right away. Tommy is through in Edmonton.

Boston is now a team to watch come playoff time. Boston needed a guy who is good on the powerplay and Gonchar is certainly that. They gave up their best offensive-defense prospect to get him ( Morrison ), but they still kept Jillson and Boynton, their best young defensemen; this should be admired.

Montreal is the real winner here. They needed a proven scorer and they got one. Kovalev is explosive and makes others play better around him. This " trade " made Montreal legit as playoff contenders this year. Well done Habs. Sleep well for the next month Booche, because Montreal will now make the playoffs.

Let's get a few things out of the way:

Toronto made $24 million profit last year. They will make the same every year regardless of a lockout. They make the most profit out of any NHL team because they know the fan base will pay for a mediocre team to compete.

Toronto does not need to rebuild from a management point of view. Every year they can buy a player that might salve their regular season wounds. They need to rebuild. Plain and simple.

Small market teams operate under a different philosophy, one built out of financial feasability and long-term struggle. Not rent-a-player-mentality.

The leafs will NEVER go all the way if they continue to buy brian leetchs'.

DID ANYONE WATCH THE CANUCKS/AVALANCE GAME TONIGHT?

BEST HOCKEY GAME OF THE SEASON - 5/5 TIE.

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"This " trade " made Montreal legit as playoff contenders this year. Well done Habs. Sleep well for the next month Booche, because Montreal will now make the playoffs."

Actually, I think it is more of a statement that they *know* they are making the playoffs, and are trying to help the team once they begin. This is almost one of those moves where Gainey is thanking the fans for all their patience the past few years. There has been nothing to get excited about for a while, and this gets people talking.

Ok, maybe that is a little too crazy, but thanks anyways Bob! You're awesome dude.............

I completley happy with the trades.

I'm a Bruins fan but I do think the leafs got the player they needed,and so did the Bruins,Gonchar's a good two way defencemen and the ages are spread out nice across the board for the Bruins giving them a good rounded team to work with.

-

I think it's a great trade for the Leafs. A character, American-born Norris trophy winning Stanley Cup ring wearing #1 defenceman? An excellent acquisition. He will lend stability to the back end, teach important lessons to Kaberle and McCabe, provide a calming influence... all while scoring points and leading his team fearlessly thru the playoffs. I think this was a far better deal than to have gone for Gonchar. Plus - the Leafs are guaranteed one more season and Leetch probably has another 4 good years in him. Right on!! Go Leafs...

Finally some hockey talk. Ihave to say that I am an Oilers fan to begin with and only caught Leafs fever by geogrraphy about 6 years ago but they made a great trade. First off they GAVE UP NOTHING! Kondratiev quit the St. John's Leafs because he thought he should be with the NHL. Immonon is like 5'5" and will never play unless he is like Martin St. Louis. The leafs will draft 25th to 30th this year and I must say that after the top 8-10 guys go this year, the rest of the draft pool is shit (compared to years past) and there might not be a hockey draft next year so the 2005 pick means little. Now what the leafs need is a centre. I see Boston picked Sillinger this morning. Maybe a Cassels, Beranek,(?Lindros?)

And let's not forget, we (leafs fans) have a huge mean monster coming back off injury, Wade Belak. No, there is NO fighting in the playoffs but we're talking about a guy who clears out bodies for his NHL living. Too bad Quinn won't sit Berg he'll sit Pilar. Trade deadline also means waivers time so we'll say goodbye to Craig Johnson and Nathan Perrot. Those two will get picked up for sure. Ferguson Jr., can still move a couple of roster player out west to competing teams like Karberle, Berg, Domi, and Antropov for the right fit players of course. Anyway, it's a keeping up with the Jones' year in the East. Toronto isn't done yet. Let's everyone say a prayer for the Oilers.

L8's

Originally Posted By Hamilton:

"What the fuck is Glen Sather thinking, anyway? I mean, nice move for the Oilers, but really... is Sather just out to sink his own club, or what? Glad I'm not a Rangers fan"

I think that what Sather is thinking is that there is going to be a new CBA, and it will be a lot easier selling off his 90 million dollar team now than when teams who can afford these "elite" players will be struggleing themselves to get under a salary cap won't have room for them. Sell now and get prospects. The number of teams only affords half of them to get ONE good draft pick every year. Look at that Southeast division. Shit 2 years ago, give it another 2 and we'll see the most exciting hockey being played. Just on young prospects alone.

Archived