Jambands.ca

Phix is good

mulvee

Well,I'm just in , left early, very pregnant wife had to leave.. and thats all good with me... But vision of that Gumbo I just left dance in my head. There were actually a few moments tonight where I was there, like really there.

The playing was really solid, and did Phish justice, nothing like other bands I've seen butcher phish tunes. More a $10 band than a $15 band, IMO.

As for Cavern there playing made me feel like I had already been there, seen that jam, nothing particularily(sp) distictive about them. ..... I'm sure their set closer was a ripoff of Moltey Crues " Quick Start My Heart"

and

Hey Aaron good to see ya Brother

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phix seriously kicked my ass... close your eyes and you were THERE dude... note for note, these guys nailed it... sure, it wasn't as good as Phish, but wow... nice to see a few of the kids out tonight...

dimafleck

Daniel

NewerRider

Esau

secondtube

MuleMama

bsherman

PassedOutGuy

to those i forgot, sorry. I'm drunk as hell... I gotta work at 9am, cheers, goodnight...

Phix was rather impressive.

Unfortunate there was some sound problems during the first set,but that had no effect on the bands playing and by the second set it was fixed and all was stellar.Although nothing changed my life or was "sick" in my opinion,but I did enjoy myself.

Good times.

Had to work until midnight, so probably not so good for many, but great for me that Phix played so late...and glad I made it for so many tunes I was glad to hear, ie. Gumbo and YEM specifically. Thanks Marky for all your efforts and bringing the band to town...they are really good at what they do, as you had promised. Hopefully all went well and you're able to make it happen again.

And, of course, it wouldn't be the same without all the friendly familiar smiling faces to complement the show (and sorry to anyone who's ear got talked off by me once again)...yay New Rider, Esau, Stoned Phillips, SecondTube, Jared, Friendly, Cyberhippie, Del-head (and all the other folks I love who may or may not post here) [Wink] ...Chickenbutta I can't believe you left before I arrived [Roll Eyes]

Figures I'd miss the YEM. How late did the show go? I left around 1:20 I think, I just couldn't take anymore I was exhausted. Not sure what song they were playing but I wasn't digging it too much and I figured there would only be one or two more, which of course included a YEM. Ah well...

Gumbo was good, so was split open and melt. Some good tunes were played. I just wished the band took a little bit more of an artistic liscense and reinterpret the songs a little, instead of trying to faithfully reproduce everything.

Good to see all you good people last night, I had a good time. See ya'll at the next event!

No doubt, Phix is fun! They really did a great job last night, and I was pleasantly surprised. They do play all the highly technical song segments bang on, and jam in their own way (kinda). Obviously they can't improvise like Phish can, but they did a really great job during many songs last night. It was great to see everyone out on a Monday evening. I am really hurting today.

Stoned Phillips was writing the stelist down (geek [Wink] ) so I will post it a little later.

quote:

Figures I'd miss the YEM. How late did the show go? I left around 1:20 I think, I just couldn't take anymore I was exhausted. Not sure what song they were playing but I wasn't digging it too much and I figured there would only be one or two more,

You left during the beginning of Tela. I think they had one more song after that, then encore.

Fun times. The bassist is who made that band. The keys were decent, drums were quality. Only minor letdown was the guitarist....but man, he's gotta follow trey.

the tone of the bassist was phenominal....i have some pics from the show, i hope they turn out.

I'm goign to transfer them this afternoon....anyone want to volenteer hosting some pics???

All in all, it was an enjoyable evening. Thanks to Mr Slippery and Cyberhippy for the preshow company....always nice getting some free beer...

I think DSO does the job a little better, but i've never seen the real Grateful Dead.

Here is the setlist courtesy of Stoned Phillips (geek [Wink] ):

Phix

The Opera House

Toronto, ON

March 15, 2004

Set I

Cavern

AC/DC Bag

The Curtain With

Rift

Mike's Song

The Moma Dance

Weekapaug Groove

Horn

Julius

Set II

Tube

Split Open and Melt

Cars, Trucks, Busses

Llama

Divided Sky

Gumbo

Camel Walk

Harry Hood

Tela

Golgi Apparatus

Encore

You Enjoy Myself

Roses are Free

I haven't bothered with all the ->'s and >'s.

quote:

Originally posted by Rary8:

Also, didja notice some of the bored hot chicks hanging out with some hip looking guys... i figure some head invites out the local babe to a Phish-esque show to hope to turn her on.

haha,

( i wish i was him)

AAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAA... -

I would also like to give thanks to those of you who aided me in my drinking campaign last night. MuleMamma, you're the greatest.. Chickenbutta, you KNOW you're the cats ass! I'd I couldn't forget the dark haired cutie that put money in my pocket for a drink (no jared, I'm not talking about you but thank you for the drinks). Love you all. To the rest of you, I suggest you try a little harder next time to get me a drink... I'm very disappointed in you and I don't think I need to name names! [Razz]

Any guitarist out there....?

The Phix dude played through one of dese..

http://www.musicbank.org/News_Items/Roland_gt6.htm

I was a little surprised to see such a pro play through a digital unit. He made it sound fine and all. Nice blend with the band. But, really man. I would have thought his distortions and effects would have been original analog stuff. I mean ther is a real difference in sound.

The guy from DSO definately uses a full jerry rig knock off. Non of this slick modern stuff.

But i guess the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. It did blend nice. [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by SMILLS:

he used a les paul with a fender hot-rod deluxe

A les paul with a fender hot-rod deluxe? very different from Trey's gear, but that analog man comp does give you that Trey punch. That Roland digital unit must cover a lot of ground.

Word was Trey's not using a compressor anymore, I heard him say that in Guitar world I believe.

Archived