Jambands.ca

March Broken - Tasks for the bored and willin

scottieking

Hey all,

Scottieking here. Well, it's my March Break and while that may not inspire that sympathy in ya, I also chose this time to do another round o'radition (nothing to worry about, just a precautionary dose) Nonetheless this has yielded an ungodly amount of down time and so I'm here to enlist the help of all the bored workers, slothenly slackers, and full-time hackers out there for the following tasks.

1)March Broken Mix - Looking to make a NON-jamband mix of tunes to reflect my break. So far, Franz Ferdaniad, The Shins, Martin Telli, a punk cover of Rocky Horror Picture music, Zero 7 are starting the mix. Any genre will be considered and appreciated

2)Heads up on any new dls, period, be it shows or not.

3)Songwriting - I'm also doing some recording during this time and I'm suck in one verse for one song - need to move on. It's about the struggles of an ex-smoker/smoker to move on from the addiction once and for all. Second verse starts (and for far ends with)

My conscience is like a paper cut,

Songwriting creds for any help.

4)B-ball heads - give me the inside scoop on the tourny this year. Who's going all the way?

5)Back to music, if so inclined, post an interesting chord for piano or guitar.

6)And finally, make a suggestion as to the one thing my apartment needs having never (well, most of you) seen it.

Good luck, and thanks. Will check in throughout the week.

quote:

Originally posted by scottieking:

Hey all,

Scottieking here. Well, it's my March Break and while that may not inspire that sympathy in ya, I also chose this time to do another round o'radition (nothing to worry about, just a precautionary dose) Nonetheless this has yielded an ungodly amount of down time and so I'm here to enlist the help of all the bored workers, slothenly slackers, and full-time hackers out there for the following tasks.

1)March Broken Mix - Looking to make a NON-jamband mix of tunes to reflect my break. So far, Franz Ferdaniad, The Shins, Martin Telli, a punk cover of Rocky Horror Picture music, Zero 7 are starting the mix. Any genre will be considered and appreciated

How about some Was (Not Was)? "I Feel Better Than James Brown" or maybe "What Up, Dog?" is always good for a bit of a twisted break.

quote:

3)Songwriting - I'm also doing some recording during this time and I'm suck in one verse for one song - need to move on. It's about the struggles of an ex-smoker/smoker to move on from the addiction once and for all. Second verse starts (and for far ends with)

My conscience is like a paper cut,

Songwriting creds for any help.

What's the structure (syllables, phrasing, # of lines, etc.) of what you've got so far?

quote:

5)Back to music, if so inclined, post an interesting chord for piano or guitar.

I'm really getting into M7 and m7 chords, especially when used back-to-back (e.g., Frank Zappa's "Black Napkins": DM7 Dbm7).

The so-called "Hendrix chord":

--5--

--6--

--5--

--4--

--5--

-----

(which I think of as D9 with an added b3) is always good for a laugh, and is movable to boot.

Another good one is jazzy: the m7b5 (which may be either diminished or half-diminished, I can't remember). For example, Em7b5 is:

--7--

--8--

--7--

--8--

--7--

--7--

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Hey all,

Scottieking here. Well, it's my March Break and while that may not inspire that sympathy in ya, I also chose this time to do another round o'radition (nothing to worry about, just a precautionary dose)

Be well brother,

I just finished my tri-monthly treatments last week.

Greg

quote:

Originally posted by ahess6488:

Hey B-Rad, How do you finger the Hendrix Chord you just posted?

I play it very similarly to how I play 9 chords (in fact, I look at the Hendrix Chord as a variant of an D9).

For 9 chords, I barre the G/B/E strings with the first knuckle of my ring finger, with the first and second fingers on the A and D strings, respectively, like this:

--5(3)--

--5(3)--

--5(3)--

--4(2)--

--5(1)--

--------

where the bracketed # is the finger I use, and the non-bracketed # the fret it's on.

Then to turn it into the Hendrix Chord, I just add my little finger on the B string:

--5(3)--

--6(4)--

--5(3)--

--4(2)--

--5(1)--

--------

If you do it right, you can flip back and forth between them pretty easily. The Hendrix Chord comes in useful in funky situations. One progression I've been playing with uses a M7 triad to the Hendrix Chord:

-------5--

---5---6--

---4---5--

---5---4--

-------5--

----------

If you pluck all the strings at once (using all your right-hand fingers) instead of strumming, it can sound pretty cool. I play the M7 triad in a pretty staccato way, and let the HC just kind of ring out (which it does; it's got a pretty "piercing" sound).

Aloha,

Brad

scottie...hope you're doin well, bro..

1) stephen malkmus and the jicks. modest mouse. built to spill.

2) i posted in the b/t forum about a stephen malkmus show for download... she's a beaut.

3) this is a fun project... i'll get back to ya.

4) i havent really followed college hoops since the C.W.I... Chris Webber Incident.

5) i got nothing.

6) a plant in a boot. i have one if you need it.

7) possible to burn a disc for me? [Wink] haha.

cheers, scottie...gimme a shout if ya want some company this week... 438-2476.

later.

scott

I second the Xm7b5.

That is not quite a diminished chord though. The 7th needs to be flat too. So Adim is:

A-C-Eb-Gb

Wanna hear something cool? Guess what the notes in Cdim are? C-Eb-Gb-A

EbDim? Eb-Gb-A-C

GbDim? Gb-A-C-Eb

See a pattern?

This means that each diminished chords is actually four chords of different inversions.

Basically this is because all the notes are a minor 3rd appart.

Augmenteds are similar to that.

piano fun!

move the middle note of the heart & soul chords one octave up (i.e. instead of playing C, E, G, play C, G, and then E in the next octave up). you can do all kinds of crazy things if you break it into scales instead of chords, and even if you keep it in the same order as heart & soul (i.e. the C chord, then the A chord, then the F chord, then the G chord), it sounds really pretty & there's lots of room to play around with it & add things to it. (plus, since it's basically heart & soul, you already know it so it's really easy to add whatever you want with the other hand)

or, if you are really bored, try playing heart & soul or another piece as you normally would, but cross your hands so your right hand is playing the left hand part & your left hand is playing the right hand part. this is really fun & funny, especially when you pull it off! hahaahah

oh and a good addition to your apartment? some bamboo plants if you don't already have any. they're cheap, incredibly easy to take care of (unless they're already sick when you buy them, you have to try pretty damn hard to kill them), they look great and they add good energy to the room. plus they are supposed to be good luck!

songwriting? not sure what the song is like, but if your conscience is like a papercut, to me that would mean impossible to ignore & has more power than you give it credit for.

and most of all.... good luck with your treatments! love & good vibes to staying well. [smile]

okiedokie... keep well friend, looking forward to another drive and a game of 120 questions..

1. I'm ignorant when it comes to the bands you just posted but I've been listening to a bit of the indie scene lately and really loving the 2 Minute Miricles and Barmizvah Brothers...

3. Thats fun I also needs structure though... can you give us more?

6. a fish...a collection of strange african/indian instruments...lots of plants...a big puzzle never quite finished...books books books...a cat

thats all. look after yourself. [smile] big smiles sent your way.

Thanks everybody.

As for the song structure, the first verse is structured to be read at a 4/4 metre (I made this up, it's a four/four song) with an A,B,C,B rhyme scheme leaving the fourth stanza's last word to be held in two part harmony for two extra bars.

The suggestions for the house are great. KEEP IT ALL COMING. Today is the day I drink a completely different green cocktail!

Scottie,

1. For the mix try out Coma Kid or Dragonfly from the Miniatures, Sublime always work on a mix maybe Santeria or Caress Me Down. Maybe a little Joel Plaskett, or even some Broken Social Scene.

2-5. I forgot what you were asking.

6. For your house, how about a vaporizer. It'll help with the reason for the song. Its like getting where you want to be, without all of the harm. It'll get you away from the mental notion of "smoking".

I feel your pain with the nicotine thing Scottie.....

Talk to you soon

Sean

well, I can maybe give you some insider info on the b-ball tourney... I personally would like to see St.Joseph's go all the way.. they are a small school, and came out of nowhere to go undefeated up until last week... they are a #1 seed and have the potential...

tell you what, just to add some interest, what about you and I pick a team from each bracket and whomever wins the tourney, the other owes a cd??

let me know, and all the best with your treatment!!!

quote:

Oooh, I like the concepts brought forth here especially the first one with the idea of the one "slip", very fitting.

Mr. King gives you an "A".

Also incredibly impressed by Douglas' verse, I'll go beyond giving you an "A" and give you an "Aaug"...

--1--

--2--

--2--

--3--

--0--

--x--

(The above chord courtesy of Chord Find.)

Aloha,

Brad

Archived