Jambands.ca

gate crashing at phish?

Jared

what do you all think the odds are that a huge amount of people are just going to go down and crash the gate and get in with out tickets?

i was having this discussion with someone yesterday and they were saying how phish took extra precatuions to prevent it from happening, but you'd gotta figure there are so many poeple out there who still want to go, ticket or no ticket, and what can the cops or security really do to keep 10 000 people from pushing there way in?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what can the cops or security really do to keep 10 000 people from pushing there way in?

billy clubs and tear gas! I really hope things do go smoothly and nobody gets hurt over a fuckin phish show. I realize it's their last performance until the reunion tour in 2008 but that's no reason to hurt yourself or anyone else.

Gate crashing will attempts will be inevitable. There are too many of those out there with their holier than thou attitude and will do what they have to, to get into that venue.

But those folks need to stop kidding themselves is what I am saying.

The festival organizers, local police, band and everyone else involved with this show knows the magnitude of it. They know its sold out. They know its Phish's last show and they know that sh!t loads of hardcore fans got shut out with tickets.

they will be ready for all of the gate crashers. Trust me.

My real concern is for my own personal ticket. I am going to have it taped to my nutsac. I think there will be so many people who will be trying to steal peoples tickets.. Begging to get smuggle in peoples cars, trucks or buses. Its going to be a mob scene until we get by security and those without tickets will be stopped by the sh!t loads of police and security they are going to have on hand.

Not having a ticket has never stopped me. I think this'll be a freebie. I'd put money on being able to buy a ticket there for cheap even.

Think about it... there's just way way way too many tickets. 100k. And its not like NYC or anything like that, Boston is what 5 hours+... phish didn't sell out half their shows this summer. I mean sure they sold this out, but Bonnaroo has sold out every year and been cheap tickets at the gate too...

Not having a ticket has never stopped me. I think this'll be a freebie. I'd put money on being able to buy a ticket there for cheap even.

Think about it... there's just way way way too many tickets. 100k. And its not like NYC or anything like that, Boston is what 5 hours+... phish didn't sell out half their shows this summer. I mean sure they sold this out, but Bonnaroo has sold out every year and been cheap tickets at the gate too...

>> ::

are you drunk?

As Boob Weir would say, "you don't need a miracle, you need $49.50!!"... or whatever the ticket costs were for Coventry.

If someone REALLY wanted to go, they probably should have thought of that ahead of time and got on top of getting their tickets BEFORE the show sold out!!

Gate-crashing is stupid and just causes hassles for the band, promoter, security and all the people that PLANNED to be there... hence the tickets?

The only good thing about gate-crashers is that I get to bust out my "gatecrashing hippie beater" otherwise known as a fish bonker... with that wonderful engraving on the side.

Just kidding... but really!!

if I happened to be there (stuck in a van on tour or something) maybe I'd consider looking for a heady extra or an overlooked point in the fence but there's no way I'd go there hoping to get in... tickets were available for quite a reasonable amount of time, anyone who wanted to go could've scored... if its taken you until now to figure out you want to be there you don't really need to be there

(but if I was I'd come in from the forest... gate crash = people getting hurt)

I guess some people will just miss out.

Aren't you supposed to lose when you snooze... hence the term?

How many tickets were sold... 80,000 or so? They didn't sell out that fast either... certainly a reasonable amount of time to get your sh!t together and buy 'em.

As Paisley mentioned, there are other options to gate-crashing if you crapped out and missed your chance to get tix. It's not so bad if someone shows up trying to haggle for one outside the gate... or if that fails, trying to pull a stealth mission and sneak in. It's just the whole brutal idea of a forceful mob entry that would seriously taint this event when it should be something magical to remember for a long time.

My .02 cents

want to go to a show? buy a ticket!

can't get a ticket? don't go!

think you can score on the lot? okay, try your chances!

can't score on the lot? tough break champ, GO HOME!!!

it would be really sad if a bunch of 18 year old / US frat boy punk wankers (sorry to generalize) blew this last show...

nothing would STOP the show! c'mon how dumb do you think the promoters/law enforcement are? i'm SURE they've planned ahead for something like this and i seriously doubt they would ever put themselves in a position where this event could be ruined by a couple hundred gate crashers.

besides it's the 18 year old frat boys that have the tickets or parents that can afford a $900 scalper ticket. i'm sure people will show up without tickets, i doubt they'll get that close to the venue. maybe a few but the idea of thousands or even hundreds gate crashing this event is just ridiculous. it's not a big deal if you miss this show... i'm just gonna sit back and wait for the reunion tour.

thats all true, but what happens when more people want to go then there are tickets for?

That's a question that can only be asked by someone who didn't think ahead.

There are enough tickets for those that TRUELY want to go, and those people bought them. There was plenty of time and warning to get tix.

If it's an afterthought...well, too bad. Stay home and read about it on the internet, wait for the downloads and photos and videos.

I gate crashed the IT Festival last year, I didn't show up until 5PM on the Sunday of the Festival. We were willing to buy tickets, but there were no line-ups, no security, no gates persons. Me and my buddy Carl Laudadio got to enjoy 3 free sets of PHISH. I'm not sure the numbers on IT, but there were alot of people - 70,000 Maybe?

From what I gather, organizers can only do so much to make sure fans have tickets, I bet gate-crashers on the last day won't have much of a problem.

A bit of gate-crashing cannot be avoided, however hopefully the organizers have a game plan in effect so that it cannot happen en masse, with thousands of people pulling a "Deer Creek" and just forcing their way in.

Having said all that, I sincerely don't think it's going to be as crazy as people think. Long line-ups, lots of your run-of-the-mill arrests for general stupidity. I just think the town is starting to fuel the fires of panic and now it's reaching our little world.

I still think they should broadcast a live simulcast on Live Phish Radio, in real time. It would be at the least a gesture of good faith.

For all of you that have been to any Phish weekend festival, it will be easy to get into the camping grounds, but the concert grounds is a whole other kettle of phish.

At the last four Phish weekend festivals that I have attended and all three bonnaroos there have been wristbands. I find it hard to believe that with the concert area having huge walls up, like they always do, that it will be at all easy for gate crashers to riot and get into the stage area. I would bet that there will be more security than usual too. In the camp grounds might be easy enough but the actual venue will be quite difficult.

If you don't have a tickets you should not go. Phish has always asked it of us, and even after they called it quits everybody had a week or two before Coventry sold out.

But even if 10,000 plus people show up without a ticket, I don't think there will be a problem.