Jambands.ca

Craziest Thing You Ever Saw At A Show?

zero

I have heard reports of this happening at other shows.

At Oswego, second or third set, first night, YEM:

This kid had been coming back and forth to our section with more and more glow objects. He came back at the start of YERM covered (head to toe) with glow juice. Right when the queit rippy part started, and everything was real quiet, serene and full of anticipation, this kid looked down at himself, raised his arm up and let out the bellow. It was so loud everyone within 200m turned to look at this glowing, screaming kid. I have never laughed so hard. It rocked.

This wasn't actually at a show but I remember after Bangor '94 in the hotel I wandered into a hotel room and all of these kids have got this ripped on acid looks on their faces. They all found something hilarious and it wasn't clear what. They turn off the lights and the room is literally plastered with glow juice- they were breaking them and then flinging them around in circles making these Jackson Pollocky constellation patterns all over the walls, the weirdest was how it was all over people's clothes too so when people moved around you could only see the glow marks and your whole depth perception was fu©ked. Quite a sight.

heat exhaustion imminent down dancin on the floor near the front at Buffalo '89 Grateful Dead... scorchin day and everyone bustin a move like their lives depend on it... just as I seriously start contemplating moving back or passing out water starts fallin on us... its raining but there are no clouds in the sky, like none... nice light rain for about 5 minutes to put everyone back in the game then it stopped... thought it was a rain machine or something but it turned out just to be a perfect freak occurance

(I somehow jumped 5 feet straight up into the air at the same show, my feet were around everyone's heads... Jerry gave a bemused and suprised smile from the stage)

Grateful Dead, Landover MD 1989. During a cop-started riot on the second night, I saw a guy sitting on the ground among the rioters masturbating, naked. Not the weirdest act I've ever seen, but pretty weird in the middle of 50,000 heads being herded around a parking lot by cops on horses wielding tazers.

Simone selling beer on the second day of Coventry wearing an emerald prom dress.

Either that or the drunk as fu©k schwilly kids driving that ATV throught the campground running over everybody's stuff and nearly getting the sh!t beat out of em by about 25 people.

Either that or the H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E rendition of Glide at Coventry. Among so many gems comes one of my favourite phish songs of all time.....and they fu©kin butcher it :(

Wait, i know what it is....

there was this fella at Spring Hookahville during the Bruce Hornsby set that was meanering throught the crowd and talking to the sun, clearly tripping and having a blast. Later that evening the clouds break from a minor rain storm and we are waiting on the grass for Hookah's set to begin. The sun comes out and he turns to the sky and bellows something quite loudly, runs down the slope of the grass and trys to slide on the wet grass on his feet. Well its hard to picture, but his front sliding foot catches something in the grass and he folds at the waist and hits his head on his knee and falls to the ground. He calmly sits up in the grass, lights a smoke, takes a puff or two and lays back. The whole crowd is watching and thinks he's ok and pays no more mind....only he doesn't get up. 20 minutes later he got carried away on a stretcher by the first aid folks.....crazy.

the weirdest thing i happened to come across was probably at ice cream truck, after the set, and after taking some time for my mind in a field, i wandered back over the to stage, the band and some dudes were taking down, and andrew was sitting in front of the stage playing acoustic guitar... the drummer playing guitar? yeah, weird, but not where im headed with this.. so, as he's playing, and i thought it was pretty neat, i didnt recognize it, but apparently it was a dylan song.. anyways, about 20 yards away or so, i use yards because i was in america, so about 20 yards away or so there is a group of people, maybe 8 or so, standing in a circle, staring at each other, no hostility, no joy, just being there, taking turns growling and snarling at each other. louder and louder until eventually everyone just walked away. i thought that was really weird.

then there's also at a wassabi show... umm, pick one..

Alright this is officially my all time favourite:

roo 04

im walking back at 4:00ish in the AM from the UM mind phuck to go to bed and im walking to portolet alley and i guy is trying to convince the mounted horesman that it isnt safe for the horses and that he needs to cram all 5 of them into a portolet. it took several minutes to walk up to and by this and the conversation that insued between the wook trying to cram horses in a potty and the very nice officers explaining that "your on some hard core drugs sir. our horses are fine"

after all the roo music and now 4:00am it almost crippled me to the ground from laughing so hard

That is fu©king hilarious!

"your on some hard core drugs sir. our horses are fine"

Okay this is pretty up there too:

This happened at Swanee music fest in Live Oak Fl. 99 or 98, cant remember.It is 100% true. It was late night at the campgrounds, Im shroomin face in my tent, just in my own world. Thats when I hear some yelling coming from a couple campsites over. Its this group of two girls and two guys. One of the dude is yelling, and the other people are trying to calm him down. I couldnt make out everything, but this is what i heard and saw. The one dude that was yelling had obviously lost touch with reality on psychadelics. He was telling this one girl in the group that he wanted to have sex with her, but now its too fu©ked up. Then he started saying "come by the light of the citranella candle (there were citranella tiki torches surrounding their campsite), and dip your balls into the fire". He then got down on his knees, and from what i could see(i was about 200 feet away) placed his genital region in the campfire. This was followed by screams from the girls, and his friend yelling at him, like what the fu©k are you doing. He then screams louder " come to the light of the citranella candle, and put your balls in the fire!" . His friends were freaking out, you could hear the fear in their voices, telling him to stop, asking what he is doing. This, of course, captures the attention of all the nearby campers. I cant remember everything that happened, but it ended up with him running into the woods. Thats when i saw his sillouette as he ran his spun, freaked out ass right by me into the woods. He had no pants on and a huge raging boner, i still cant get the image out of my head. I was in shock for a minute, as was everyone else. Then the whole place erupts in laughter. The rest of the night all you hear from all the campsites is "come to the light of the citranella candle, and dip your balls into the fire". I can only imagine what that kid felt like when he came down, and hes in the woods, naked, with 3rd degree burns on his nards, and can never look at his friends the same again. I bet that was a silent, tention filled car ride home, if he even got home at all.

Okay I am laughing my ass off here trying not too howl out loud in my office:

Alpine 2003

A buddy of mine put his beer down in a pile of molly. Needless to say he wasn't going to waste it. Later that night we found him talking to a tree. He thought it was a group of girls. He was like "Hey ladies, where's your campsite". My girlfriend decided to play along and was responding to the questions. He came back to the campsite all excited that he was going to get some...from the trees.

This stuff is at least keeping my mind off of BSS:

At Va. Bch. '97 the morning of the show, we were eating at a nice place somewhere near the boardwalk. My buddy who had accidently ate almost a whole sheet , and had been tripping and living in a shed in his yard alone for the last six months, gets convinced there is a microphone in his food. He says we all need to leave. As we are walking back to this old VW bus he asks my friend if there are any doses in our vehicle. My friend says, yeah, a few. My tripping buddy immediately starts hollering that we need to blow up our van, and accuses my girlfriend of being in the CIA, and me of having a gun. We go back to the KOA, where he starts smoking opium and saying very weird things about people on the radio talking to him and sh!t. He demands we take him to the airport. I told him once we got in the show he would calm down, but he insisted on the airport. Thing was, all our tickets for like the next 7 shows were at will call under his name. To make a long story short we pull into Newport News airport and he dives from the van at like 40 mph and does about 4 somersaults across the sidewalk right in front of about 50 people. He then proceeds to buy a ticket, but won't tell us where he is going. Then he says his money is marked and gave us like 500 dollars. He then broke his credit card into and thru it in the garbage because he though the FBI was tracking him with it. It was funny later, because we taped it together to get our tickets later. He is now fine, by the way he flew to Cincinatti for some reason.

Did you get further down they explained that he had it in his freezer and some liquid had gotten in (condensation) so he dribbles it out and drinks it. It goes on to say how he later ran an extension cord out to his shed and moved in, only spoke to the dog and told his mom to leave his food outside the door. fu©ked up! You would NEVER be the same after that. I've seen it in milder forms but that is seriously intense.