Jambands.ca

Kingston is a no show for Blue Quarter...

Nelles

soooo... i just came back from the Blue Quarter show in Kingston... hmmm... keep in mind, i'm literally the ONLY one who can say that!!! So i got there at the tail end of the first set, epecting to hear another good chunk of tunes, and i find the bar practically empty. Well, i guess blue quarter had a drive ahead of them or something, because they called it quits after the first set since there wasn't really anyone to play to. On the plus side i got a free cd from the band... which i'm listening to right now. Anyway, i hope the turn out for Nero is a lot better. I've seen blue quarter 3-4 times before and i can't believe no one was at this show... rrrrr.. such a solid band. anyway... that's the review of blue quarter in kingston... yay. ::

sorry to hear that, Blue Quarter definately deserves a better turnout... their show at Izzy's was real fun

kudos to yourself for showin up anyhow (and congrats on the CD, makes up for not getting a second set... might have been a little awkward anyways trying to stare down the band by yourself ;))

thanks... ya, i'm a huge fan of a band called The Spades... i was once literally the only one in the audience fo one of their shows... they acutally played two sets and d'encore though... i hate being the only dude staring at the band... but it happens in this field (sometimes)...

I've been told that the Scherzo does literally zero promoting. With a major university a few blocks away, and RMC and St. Lawrence College not too far either, you'd think someone with vision and initiative would do some promotions.

I must say that there are a lot of bars ( competition ) in Kingston and Queen's hasn't started yet - most students would be taking part in orientation this week.

Scherzo is one of the nicest venues I've ever been in, but the guy that runs the place is among the worst promoters around. You can usually count on some posters in the window and in the bar, but certainly no more than that.

The Scherzo was once the hottest club in Kingston, every band wanted to play there and it was full almost every night. The place is just a joke now, with a great PA (even though it got repo'd not long ago for lack of payment - it was back the next day)

Zero, Weirdness, a few others and I saw The Slip play to a crowd of about 30 last spring at Elixir, and according to that other thread Elixir is the sh!tty bar for live music? What gives in K-Town, are the Queens students' too busy breaking in their jackets to see a show?

If they tell us - we will come.

...OK, here it is then:

Toronto's Afro-Funk Messengers, Mr Something Something, will be providing Kingstoners with two opportunities for ecstatic dancing at the Scherzo this month: Sat Sept 18th and Thurs Sept 23rd to promote the release of their recent self-titled release from World Records. Tell one, tell all...

A little something for the body; a little something for the soul...

www.mrsomethingsomething.com

"And the Zoo (Anyone been there aka the Plaza Hotel)"

If you ever lived in Kingston, and didnt make it to the Zoo, I have no time to talk to you. That place was a right of passage. Last time I was there, they had sponsored this ball tourney we won. They told us to go there to pick up our 400$ cheque. Well, every 15 minutes, the manager would come by and say "You check will be here anytime now."

Needless to say, we spent well over 400$ as we waited for our 400$. Next time I go to Kingston to see Nero at the Scherzo, I am going to the Plaza instead!

Zero, Weirdness, a few others and I saw The Slip play to a crowd of about 30 last spring at Elixir, and according to that other thread Elixir is the sh!tty bar for live music?

Which thread is that? Elixir is a great room. It's a square room with the stage right in the center of the back wall ... perfect sight lines from everywhere. They treat bands really well too, without complaining about how high their insurance costs are (now a trademark of the scherzo)

The Elixir attracts some good shows, the sound is okay, but if it's really busy it's not the greatest venue for shows. For example, the place was just packed to capacity for a band called The Weakerthans and it was really hard to see the stage (if that's your kinda thing).... but the sound was decent and that's what really counts anyway... elixir gets some good bands (sometimes) and that at least makes me happy.... I agree about the Scherzo not postering!!! seems unusual for a venue not to promote their shows... I also heard there's some by-law against postering on telephone poles??? i need to confirm that though... But, seriously... it's intro week for a lot of students... WHY wouldn't the scherzo poster at least at the University?!?! who knows...

The city (and incidentally the AMS) has really cracked down on their postering by-law, which most cities have in one form or another. I got fined for posters last year, Elixir has been fined upwards of $2000 for postering. It's ridiculous, and I was fighting it until my pro-bono lawyer decided he didn't want to do it any more.

IMO, Scherzo is the best room in town, but the owner is a moron and the place is dirty, smelly and ill-kept. There's a very long list of people who won't play there or go there anymore.

Grand Theft Bus/Jimmy Swift Band will be at Elixir on October 7, btw.

i heard the GTB/JSB show will have seamless sets... could be just a rumour though... i can't remember if i'll be in kingston for that show thow... i may be at brian wilson with my dad then... it's either on the 6th or 7th anyway... if it's the 6th that means two days of music though! booh yeah