Jambands.ca

Any psychologists here?

Patchoulia

No, this isn't me trying to book an appointment..

I've read several articles today in the papers where passengers from the plane that crashed are bitching vociferously about various elements of the aftermath.

One woman was outraged--yes, outraged--that they were given cold water to drink instead of a nice, hot drink.

Another was livid that Air France was only offering her $300 (for immediate use) when her cell phone (lost in the crash) cost $250 and she was angry that the flight attendants weren't helping anyone find their personal belongings before shoving them off the plane.

To me, these seem like outrageous things on which to focus--I mean, a plane crashed, split in 3 pieces and burst into flames and no one died and no one was seriously injured. That's pretty much a best case scenario.

So my question is this: Are these survivors focussing on miniutiae because it's too overwhelming to ponder their harrowing experience? Their psyches can't handle how close they came to dying, so they're focussing their energy and misdirecting fear into anger in order to deal with what's happened to them?

Just wondering.

So my question is this: Are these survivors focussing on miniutiae because it's too overwhelming to ponder their harrowing experience? Their psyches can't handle how close they came to dying, so they're focussing their energy and misdirecting fear into anger in order to deal with what's happened to them?

Just wondering.

I would say that's a good assumption.

However, some people are just so incredibly focussed on themselves these days that it's gross. And I wouldn't put it past them that they are just being selfish about money and their stuff.

I think the first thing I would do is thank my lucky stars I was alive, hug all the people that helped get me out alive - and forget about any stuff that got lost.

Just wondering.

Could be a psychological reaction but I honestly think it's more likely they are just shallow horrible people.

I recall seeing interviews with other travellers in other airports giving their reactions to the accident and the ensuing delays. I was shocked at how many people just shrugged off the disaster because they themselves were so pissed off that they were put out for a few hours, or a day.

People have a real sense of entitlement these days and I'm afraid it's not going to change anytime soon.

I remember reading somewhere (probably in one of Robert A. Heinlein's books) that every person, at least once in his/her life, should have to jump out of a window naked in the middle of the night, and run for his/her life with nothing but the skin he/she had, and start over from nothing in a new place/life. If such a program were put in place, those ungrateful and stupid complainers would be at the head of the line, were I in charge of it.

Aloha,

Brad

Sounds like John Rawls' philosophy, to me; in slightly different language and with a bit of a twist.

Essentially, he thought that the only ethical way to design politco-economic systems would be to put everyone in an "original position" where they had nothing. You then organize the system behind a "veil of ignorance" under the presumption that no one knows where in society they'll end up. In theory, this should cause us to think things out to be fair to everyone.

This idea of running off naked to start over sounds quite similar, and implies that those who do that will appreciate the "original position" and act ethically accordingly.

(Wow; I just noticed what a geek I am.)

I'm sure the outraged people are outraged at everything in life that doesn't please them, which is also probably incredibly difficult to do. I'll be disgusted, but not surprised if we start reading about some lucky survivors suing Air France.

One guy, Eric Ho from Kingston took pictures with a camera inside the plane during the incident and the aftermath. I guess shortly afterwards he had signed 2 contracts, one for a Canadian media outlet and another to a US one. $1500 each.

these people are pieces of shit, to be blunt. that's all. those are the concerns? those are the problems? thats what outrages them? they dont need psychatrists to tell them they're pieces of shit, i'll tell them for free. hey, if you're out there reading this, and you complained about a cold drink, because you didnt get a hot drink, hey, listen up, you're lucky you got a drink, period, you piece of shit.

this is the ME age. where the world revolves around yourself. it does, doesnt it? me me me. and no, not me yesterday, or me a minute ago, ME NOW!!

unfortunately, like marco, i dont see this type of thing swinging the other way anytime soon.. we live in north america... get used to it... we're lying in the beds we've made.

I'd like to think I'd be running around like a maniac, kissing everyone I saw, rejoicing in being alive.

Basically, a typical Tuesday...

Exactly! Front page of the Toronto Sun shows the twisted, burnt wreckage of the plane. We were thinking wouldn't it have been a better front page picture if someone were to have gathered all the passengers and crew to have a group photo taken? All of these people know how unbelievably lucky they are to be alive at this moment. Unfortunately I have little doubt that there will be lawsuits launched for various reasons...such is life I guess...

Great point for conversation. I just finished reading today's Ottawa Citizen and was thinking the same thing myself. Mr. Ho is quoted as complaining about:

- How there wasn't a slide like he was expecting and he has to jump 3 meters from the plane to the ground.

-He says he was shoved out of the plane (Thanks to whomever did the shoving by the way. getting people out fast kept everyone alive).

-The bus that picked them up from hwy 401 had AC on and they were all cold. The bus also had music on the radio and it wasn't the station he would have picked.

-They still had to go through customs despite everything they went through.

-No one from Air France has tried to contact him to tell him how he will be compensated for the items he lost in the crash.

Sheesh man, give your frickin' head a shake. If I just survived a plane crash and fire I'd be kissing the ground and everyone at the airport. Forget about your damn cell phone, forget about your clthes being wet and having to endure being cold. What the hell is wrong with people?

I definitley agree that people should be thankful they are alive in this situation. What the hell, of course. But at the same time, the airlines do their share of passenger gouging, everyday on every flight. I can understand someone being so frustrated by the whole ordeal, and taking the opportunity to gouge back.. although I wouldn't take that opportunity, others might.

I couldn't find an online link to the story where the woman was complaining about not being provided with weather appropriate beverages, but here's another one:

http://www.canada.com/news/national/story.html?id=6a2ec5b1-606a-4975-a9fb-b20def398e0a

They're pissed they were stranded for an hour in the rain and cold--hello, people, that's hour ONE of 18 in line for Coventry! Buck up!

I don't mean to be glib, but it's so hard to wrap one's mind around these reactions.

i dunno, i guess i can understand frustration and gouging, sure, maybe calling them all pieces of shit was a little harsh... but c'mon... this is what still kills me...

One woman was outraged--yes, outraged--that they were given cold water to drink instead of a nice, hot drink.

i mean, on top of the fact that there was a plane crash, IT'S FUCKING AUGUST!!!!

I just think that the passengers should not only thank their lucky starts they are alive, they should be ass kissing the professional and timely response of the flight crew and the Pearson response teams, which made it to the plane in an unbeleivable 52 seconds after it left the runway.

Money gouging is one thing but all those passengers had paid up for their flights, thereby inherently assenting to the price at hand. To complain afterwards about a cold drink is not an act of revenge for high prices, it is a selfish and spoiled reaction by an ungrateful lump of flesh.

Well, you also have to be careful with thinking everyone is "gouging". You have to consider that some lawsuits are necessary from the perspective of the plaintiff, depending on their injuries.

For example, if someone hit his/her head in the crash and is now suffering a brain injury and requires home-care and all sorts of augmentation to their life and house to be able to function, and it appears this will be necessary for the rest of his/her life costing upwards of a million bucks, then that person has two choices: sue whoever he/she can and get that party's insurance company to cover necessary future care expenses, or simply muddle through from now on.

Once you've met people who are suicidal after being injured as they see no future because they can't even feed themselves without assistance and can't afford that assistance, you understand that not every lawsuit in personal injury is commenced out of greed.

This does not mean, however, that I think the people complaining about temperature and music in the aftermath are any less obnoxious.

MarcO, check the CBC site for quotes. I heard an interview with a girl who was 17 on Radio 1. She was bitching about how, like, she, like, totally needed all of her, like, stuff. Apparently this spoiled little tart had just graduated from highschool and Mommy & Daddy sent her on a grand fucking world tour. Can't really blame them; I'd want her out of my hair too. She's already looked into suing Air France to damages...for her material possessions! *eye rolling*

Sadly, I agree with Guigsy & MarcO. I try to resist being so cynical, but lately the ME obsession is too much to bare. My office, for example, is the temperature of a meat locker. It is freezing...even to the point where I go and read in my van at lunch time to get warm. However, when I bring this up to coworkers or management they avoid the topic as best they can. AND I'm not even attempting to argue from a comfort stand point. Rather, the ONTARIO GOVERNMENT has urged people to keep their thermostats set at 26 degrees. When I inquire as to why ours are set so low (front of office at 19, back of office at 16) I get the response that "they" (still not sure exactly who that is) prefer it this way. When I ask if anyone has heard the province's pleas to conserve energy my coworkers look at my like I have 3 heads. I got into a discussion with one office mate (who I consider a friend) and expressed my concern over smog warnings, the need for cooling stations and the number of people (mainly fragile seniors) who parished in June due to the incredible heat. His response: "It's not my fault that they don't have air conditioning." Right. It's not your fault, you shouldn't have to compromise, you should have all you want and more. Loser.

It is very frustrating for those of us who watch loved ones fight for their lives every day listen to such unbelievable whining.

"What about my cellphone?"

Fuck off!