Jambands.ca

Central America Bound

gentlemonkey

Hey all,

As some of you may or may not know; moe.ron and I are heading on an adventure through Central America, beginning in Costa Rica next Wednesday and concluding in Mexico, a week prior to Xmas.

We'll be spending time in Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Belize and the Yucatan Peninsula region of Mexico. We have a list of places we hope to hit in each country, but have only booked our first and last nights hotels, so we're pretty much flying by the seat of our pants.

We've got a bit of Spanish under our belts- thanks to our super cool teacher, miss meggo! you rock. 'que cosa!'

Please hit us with suggestions if you have any.. The are always appreciated.

Otherwise, have a great fall everyone! PEAS~!

Jay (and Kyla)

sweet! my good friend came back just a bit ago from a month long trip down there and absolutely loved it..

i guess Nicaragua buys all of it's electrical power from Costa Rica and doesn't really pay the bills on time so every once in a while Costa Rica shuts the Nicaraguans down.. she said it's the funniest thing cuz all of the sudden the power goes out and the locals just keep on keepin' on like they're so used to it.. weird.

i'll have to check with her to see if she has some suggestions for you.. but from the looks of her pics, it's absolutely amazingly beautiful... definately has become one of my top destinations in the next year or so.

have an awesome trip! :)

ah yes i heard about this trip! :)

i thought you guys were going to work on a farm in costa or some such thing though, didn't realize you were gone travelin!

i spent the whole fall down there once as well and it was rainy season, so expect lots of rain.

:)

i have some suggestions if either of you wanna give me a call before you leave. and if i don't see you, have fun!

but here's a few spots in costa rica i would say "don't miss"...

1. the osa peninsula!!! go to corcovado national park. it will be an adventure well worth it. it's remote and fun exploring, and the wildlife is unmatched anywhere else in the country (IMO).

2. zancudo beach is not too far from there if you are down that way. my fave spot. Cabinas BM.

3. nicoya peninsula has some great spots...kinda touristy but still beautiful. otherwise, the other coast (puerto viejo and south) is also nice and has more flavour for you to savour ;)

ps. santa elena (monteverde) is also very chill and i think you guys would like that! but it's a bitch to get to.

Edited by Guest

have lots of fun guys! stop in mahawal and see my friend kristy i told you about, specially if you want to do snorkling/scuba stuff, if you don't do it there, they'll know some kick ass places, kristy used to work in cozumel, she knows some great places there if you're thinkinf of heading there.

but here's a few spots in costa rica i would say "don't miss"...

1. the osa peninsula!!! go to corcovado national park. it will be an adventure well worth it. it's remote and fun exploring, and the wildlife is unmatched anywhere else in the country (IMO).

2. zancudo beach is not too far from there if you are down that way. my fave spot. Cabinas BM.

3. nicoya peninsula has some great spots...kinda touristy but still beautiful. otherwise, the other coast (puerto viejo and south) is also nice and has more flavour for you to savour ;)

ps. santa elena (monteverde) is also very chill and i think you guys would like that! but it's a bitch to get to.

thanks!!! I have read about Osa peninsula- seems like a must.

We are visiting some of the co-ops bridgehead gets their coffees from, but no, we won't be farming. Who was I kidding... farming.. pfft.

Atlantic:

http://www.viviun.com/AD-9195/

My fav. in Costa Rica.

Cheaper is Selvin's in Punta Uva.

Selvin is the man!

Chauita is worth a look

Pacific:

Samara and Nosara pricey but nice-cheap surf camps.

Montezuma is alot of fun-you can camp near by. Go a little farther to Cobano-cheap and right beside the park.

Liberia is a nice old city with a cheap hostel. Fron here you can go to Ricon de Viejo park. This place rivals Yellowstone park with its mud pots and smoking rocks. Lots of armadillos.

Nicaragua: Managua is like New Delhi. Very poor. The bus system is to crowded. Get your Hotel to hire a driver to show you the sights- about $10.00/hour. 3 hour cab ride to San Juan Del Sur cost $70.00. From there go to Playa Majiqual Camping Matilda's is nice.

What ever you do take care of your shoe!

GM...less work more play sounds good. :)

i am so jealous btw.

!

nicaragua: ometepe island!!! 2 volcanos (one dormant which you can hike) in lake nica. i'm sure you'll go there! :)

for cities, leon and granada (nice old architecture and flavour according to my friends).

Edited by Guest