Jambands.ca

Go Habs Go - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Low Roller

Sundin would be awesome to have. He's old, but he's still damn good.

I'm not surprised at all that Gainey is willing to let Streit walk given his market value which is stupid high for a 3rd or 4th liner who would rather play D.

Chipchura and Grabs are ready for the main roster, and who knows what magic Gainey will pull off.

Dont underestimate the versatility of a player than can play both D and on the forward lines. Once injuries come into play during the season, a player of that ilk is almost invaluable. Streit had a great season even though he went missing in the playoffs.

Guest Low Roller
Dont underestimate the versatility of a player than can play both D and on the forward lines. Once injuries come into play during the season, a player of that ilk is almost invaluable. Streit had a great season even though he went missing in the playoffs.

[color:purple]Dandenault

But seriously, Streit was a major cog in the Habs' success this season,and I would love to have him back however you have to consider all the contracts that are up for extension this year (AK46, O'Byrne, Halak, Gorges, Grabovski), next season (Plekanec, Komisarek, Higgins, Kovalev, Koivu, Chips) and the following year (PRICE, Lapierre, Little Tits) you must accept that sacrifces need to be made now to keep the future, which is why the Habs have invested heavily in player development, so that every year there is a rookie ready to jump into the line-up to take a spot left by an unsigned UFA.

If anything I say they'll sign him to a one year deal loaded with incentives to prove that last season was not a fluke, but nothing more.

I want Streit back, simply because his goal in Game 7 against the Bruins was my favourite moment of the playoffs. I jumped up on the couch, my heart was beating like crazy....I had the fire. That was a great moment.

I just realized I am a forum noob for not knowing how to embed videos :(

Here's the link though:

Guest Low Roller

Alex Tanguay?! COOL BEANS!

$5,375M next season, UFA in 2009-2010.

Add to the mix Sundin (and a potential $6M contract) and I think we have the makings of a killer team for next season!

Of course that only leaves about $7M to sign Andrei Kostitsyn, Ryan O'Byrne, Jaroslav Halak, and Josh Gorges, Streit, and Grabs... Not going to happen.

Part of me thinks that Sundin is just going to choose to retire - which is too bad, because he's a classy dude and an awesome player who deserves to have his name on the Cup, and playing for Montreal next year would give him a good shot at achieving that. The Toronto media and the fans who blamed him for not accepting a trade last year will be mostly to blame if Sundin decides to move elsewhere in 08-09.

Guest Low Roller

Draft Overview:

Danny Kristo - 2nd round pick - 56th

Expected to be a second or third-round selection, the scouting report on Kristo is that he is a very speedy right-handed shot who has a very high hockey IQ, and an excellent work ethic. Although he needs to get stronger and develop more of a two-way game, Kristo is a hot prospect and likely to be the first US NTDP player drafted by an NHL team this year.

Steve Quailer - 3rd round pick - 86th

The winger is another late bloomer who got a chance to play in the USHL with Sioux City this past season. Ended the year tied with Joe Miller for the team lead in scoring with 49 points (19 goals, 30 assists) in 60 games. He also had a plus-16, which was third best on the squad. Quailer has excellent breakaway type of speed and a good stride. He has good hands and shoots the puck well. He has good playmaking ability, good vision and is able to play any one of the forward positions. He utilizes a very quick release, not generally winding up but is able to snap the puck from all areas of the ice. Quailer is very strong on the puck and is able to protect in the corners.

Jason Missiaen - 4th round pick - 116th

Height: 6.07 Weight: 193

Big goalie who goes down a lot. At times appears to have trouble finding pucks that hit him and then fall to his feet. Very limited playing time this season. Looks awkward at times moving around the net.

Maxim Trunev - 5th round pick - 138th (from Cgy)

Patrick Johnson - 7th round pick - 206th

In an audio interview after the draft Trevor Timmons said he was very satisfied with the draft, saying that he wasn't expecting Danny Kristo to still be available. As expected they drafted a goalie... 6'7"!!!

What do you figure the Habs gave up to talk to Sundin?

Nothing. Now what would they have to give up to sign him before July 1st is another question altogether. I am guessing a 4th round pick but I have no clue.

Exactly. The only reason that they would have to give something up would be to jump the gun on any other teams that are going to try to convince Sundin to go to their club. Otherwise, just wait until July 1st and you don't have to give up a thing.

Sundin deserves to play on a Cup contender. The Leafs will NOT be that next year. The Leafs would be stupid to pay him his 7 or 8 million dollar salary (which he rightfully deserves) to keep him. They should be spending that on new, young talent instead.

I'll miss Sundin, but will be happy to see his success if he continues to play in the NHL for another franchise.

Here is a transcript of a conversation that Bob Gainey just had with Mats Sundin:

BG: Hi ya Mats

MS: Hi ya Bob

BG: What do you want to come to Montreal?

MS: $7 Million for 1 Year with a NTC.

BG: Done. Can the Montreal Canadiens have an option for a second year at the same price?

MS: Done.

BG: What do you think of Cliff Fletcher?

MS: He is ok I guess. A smart hockey man but I don’t like the way I was treated near the trade deadline.

BG: Yeah. I think he tried to hoodwink you into a trade. I have an idea.....want to get even?

MS: Do I? What do you have in mind Bob?

BG: Well I have to give him compensation for signing you before July 1 so lets not sign a deal until July 1?

MS: Man oh man Bob…That is a good one. You are an ‘EVIL’ genius in the NHL. I can almost hear Cliffy boy dropping a load in his ‘Depends’

^ hahaha

All Rich Stad BS aside, if the Habs can find a way to squeeze Sundin, a back-up goalie and a couple of mid-range defensemen in under the cap, they're going to ice a sweet f'n team next year.