Jambands.ca

Daniel Johnston??

c-towns

great stuff, was getting tired of it all (prolly his voice) by the time i got through the dvd + extras though.

anyway, brillliant creative guy. prolly should never have smoked the erb or done acid though

i loved that his first recordings had to be done over and over- as soon as he'd sell a tape he'd have to go record it again since he had no way to make duplicates of the original.

I really can't hear whatever creative brilliance is supposed to reside in his songwriting. A gifted lyricist and very very prolific songwriter yes, but thats where the goods end.

Ditto on the early childhood films, holy crap that kid could make homemovies (complete with overdubs and visual effects circa early 70's..?) He was waaayyyy ahead of his time on movie making, but songs....I dunno.

Really great songwriters are usually only appreciated by other songwriters in my experience.

What about Bob Dylan? If songwriters (of the latter half of the 20th Century) were to be ranked, his name would be at the top of the list, and he has a strong following and appreciation from both songwriters and listeners.

Aloha,

Brad

A certain breed of songwriter is only appreciated by others. In Canada the big ones are Bob Wiseman, Al Tuck and Bob Snider.

Indeed. Bob Snider at least usually seems to draw a regularly solid crowd in Hamilton (plays here very infrequently though). Hate when Wiseman ends up playing to a dozen people, his eccentricies seem to rub a lot of people the wrong way for some reason, sad.

I had trouble watching it but not because it wasn't well done.

I'm watching Dig about Brian Jonestown Massacre and the Dandy Warhols right now. You think that Johnston's fucked up!

Dig was a fantastic movie. I was very impressed with the fact that the REAL history was recorded and told with 7? years of amateur footage. I think that's what is intriguing of the Devil and Daniel Johnston. I borrowed that yesterday from Ollie who borrowed it from Randy whom I suppose I'll have to return the disc to directly.

Back to Dig, that movie was inspiring in a weird way. Anton was a perfectionist to fault, but his obsession and drive was amazing. To see someone just sit down and start making music from basic equipment makes me wonder why it's so hard to do, having as many tools handy as I do (PC, Mac, 8-track tascam, etc.)

I got so many kicks out of the fights that went down in that movie, probably because that they just seemed so unreal. How could someone like Anton be such a jackass and treat his bandmates that way??

Anton also eerily reminded me of Brad Barr...purely by certain hairstyles and looks.

The contrast of the Dandy Warhols really helped nail the impact that Anton's sordid history had been painted.

Cool movie.

I was looking forward to the Daniel Johnston movie. I thought it might be as mind blowingly fun as Dig, but that movie is a lot to live up to.

Daniel Johnston. I was pretty much perplexed as to why everyone went on at how great of an artist he was. He couldn't play guitar, and he couldn't sing very well.

I'm pretty confused over the whole deal.

I did get a good laugh at mishearing "Pete Arner" as "Pee'd On Her"