Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go 2008 - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toronto Columnist Writes Annual 'Blue Jays Have A Chance' Article

TORONTO—Following a flurry of offseason activity by his hometown Blue Jays, Toronto Star baseball columnist Richard Griffin has written his yearly mid-March article asserting that the Jays have a chance to contend in the AL East. "The acquisitions of Scott Rolen and David Eckstein just might get the Blue Jays over the hump and turn them from also-rans to world champions," wrote Griffin in an excerpt that was lifted directly from his 2007 article but with the names Frank Thomas and John Thomson substituted out, which itself was copied from a 2006 article about A.J. Burnett and B.J. Ryan."Though the Jays will be facing defending champion Red Sox and the $200 million New York Yankees a combined 37 times this season, and the Rays might be the most improved team in baseball, the Blue Jays are also very good."The Star has yet to comment on whether or not a separate Griffin article predicting the Blue Jays to finish fourth was a misprint

I love the Jays but it is going to be so hard for them to make the playoffs. They are in the same division with two monsters, both on the field and financially.

Not only is it hard to win the division but to even finish 2nd and have a chance at a Wild Card is huge task.

If they were in any other division they would have a much greater chance to make the playoffs now and then. Teams like Minnesota and Oakland have had success with teams really not that much better than the Jays. They just play in easier divisions at certain times.

This all being said I am still hoping the Jays put it all together this season and make the post season :)

maybe i'm being naive, but i just dont see the yankees making the playoffs this year. i think toronto's biggest obstacles for the wildcard are the indians, tigers (whoever doesnt win that division), or the mariners.

i think the yanks are gonna take their lumps this year, and toronto will settle nicely between them and the sox for 2nd.

I agree with you about the Yanks, I think they might have a few problems with their pitching staff. I was looking at their starting pitchers and Mussina is their number 2 starter. That can't be good. But, they could over come these pitching problems with their great hitters.

i think its more than just starting pitching, though - they're old. only 2 players in the starting line-up younger than 32... i can see these guys breaking down.

and im also not sold that their payroll speaks to their abilities anymore - more or less inflated by reputation... outside of a-rod, anyways. good team, for sure, lots of big names, yes, but if you look at the types of teams that have been increasingly winning more and more ballgames the last few years, they dont look like the yankees, and i think this is the year the bubble bursts on the bronx.

Great game last night. Lets hope the offense can keep it up (and not hit into 5 double-plays every night!!)

I think the Jays have a really good shot at making it this year, as they added some depth to the lineup and have three of the best young pitchers in the American league.

I wish that I could go on opening day.

Go Jays Go!!