Jambands.ca

Go Jays Go 2008 - Fan Forum

badams

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Martin plays (and he should) he'll be a very welcome right handed bat to the line-up (to go with Bay). Dont forget Dempster too, when talking about pitching. If they get those four, the odd man out can be relief, as the games dont go back to back right away.

It's kind of exciting to think were moving up in the world in baseball!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Jays picked up Canadian ex-pitcher Adam Loewen from Baltimore, who is going to try to convert to a hitter/fielder since his arm is shot. He's 24 and was a good hitter in college before the Orioles made him into a standout pitcher. Word is that he has a better upside at this point of the conversion than Rick Ankiel did, since he was never known as a hitter.

If he has such a great upside, why is Baltimore letting him go?

Because of his contract, if they wanted him, they had to sign him to a long-term pro deal, so they let him go. The ESPN announcer on Prime Time Sports told McCown that Baltimore really wanted to keep him, but couldn't make the long-term commitment, so they released him. Toronto got Loewen for basically nothing, signing him to a minor league two-year contract. I'm pulling for the kid, but if he makes it to the Bigs as a hitter, it will be pretty amazing story.

I wouldn't say he "fizzled". Adam was just starting his career and 24 is a kid in baseball. His career record was 8-8, and it was plagued with arm injuries. Too bad he wasn't healthy because he would have looked good on Team Canada's upcoming World staff.

I think you are missing the point of my original post. This is a feel good or root for the underdog kind of story and he's a Canadian kid, so I find it interesting - the highest Canadian ever drafted. If you've seen him pitch, especially in his rookie year, then you know that seeing him have arm injuries is sad. I hope he makes it the Bigs someday, but I doubt he'll ever be a star if he does.

• 4 weeks later...

If you were a GM would you give this guy 16 Million per year!!??!!? He is a lifetime 87-76 and has been injured damn near every year of his career. Ignoring this past season, which was obviously his best ever, he was 69-66. just an ass hair over 500.

whichever team gives this guy this contract are stupid beyond belief. just baffles the mind and i'm happy to see he won't be signing in Toronto.