Jambands.ca

ambulance rides?

Sheebs

So while I was visiting Nova Scotia a few weekends ago I unfortunately found myself in need of an ambulance ride. It was about 15 mins or less to the hospital and after my visit I took a cab back to where I came from. At no time during my ambulance ride or hospital visit or upon presentation of my valid ontario health card was I informed I would be billed personally for this service. Had I of known this I may have just taken a cab to the hospital as well considering that nothing was actually really done for me except the reassurance that I was fine.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this before and knows if there is anything I can do about.

Oh by the way the bill I am refering to just happens to be 650$!!!!!!!!!!

that sucks. you should definitely look into all the legalities surrounding ambulance fees.

the only time i ever had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance was in france. completely free. whizzing through the streets of paris with that distinctive siren wailing is actually a good memory. i had to pay a minimal fee for the treatment at the hospital, but nothing for the ambulance.

from the Ontario Ministry of Health FAQ:

If you are a resident of Ontario, and:

* your ambulance trip originates outside Ontario

You are responsible for the full cost of the land and/or air ambulance services received.

Land and air ambulance services originating out-of-province are not an insured benefit under OHIP. Residents traveling outside the province are encouraged to utilize private travel health insurance, as some plans offer emergency medical and repatriation transportation for the ill and/or injured.

That sucks. Would hope that provinces have agreements with each other to provide comparable coverage, but I guess not.

no health benefits unfortunately. I did go straight to the ontario ministry website and saw the FAQ. I'm just so steamed you know? how does fifteen min. ride justify 650 dollars?? thats beyond highway robbery, thats anal rape.

Its the cost of a flight to any number of countries!!

I swear that ambulance didn't fly

yeah... it's not like in that situation you have the rationale/presence to think about these things.

a friend of mine in the US had a massive seizure (first time) and when they called an ambulance they were told how much it would cost, so they couldn't afford to get it. she ended up walking to the hospital. and had another massive seizure as soon as she got there. crazy.

on the bright side, you are OK :)

If it had anything to do with a car you can get the car insurance to cover it.

Not sure - but I think you'd have to pay even if it was in Ontario?

While it does suck, like noted above, its probably well under the actual cost of having an ambulance and probably 2 well-trained paramedics attend.

We take it for granted because of the great health care we have. Be thankful that the hospital isn't sending you a bill too right!

at dinner tonight my sister was telling me about a friend who required air ambulance from edmonton to toronto and received a bill for over $13 grand. (they were told of the costs upfront)

it's my understanding that while provinces have reciprocity agreements re: actual health services, some may not for transportation.

sorry to hear this, sheebs. i hope all is well now. check your work insurance plan, it may cover this. mine does.

While it does suck, like noted above, its probably well under the actual cost of having an ambulance and probably 2 well-trained paramedics attend.

We take it for granted because of the great health care we have. Be thankful that the hospital isn't sending you a bill too right!

^^^exactly. not to mention fuel, supplies, cost of dispather, equipment, etc. (and I would assume you were seen relatively quickly). User fees are a bit of a must for ambulances, as when one goes out, that leaves one less for somebody else who might be sick somewhere else. If there was no fee, abuse would be rampant (kinda like the healthcare sytem),

with that said, sometimes people cant afford it and there are things that can be done...if you talk to a hospital social worker etc. they tend to know about these things.

glad you are ok.

Not sure - but I think you'd have to pay even if it was in Ontario?

See here for the answer(s) to that musing. Short answer, if a doctor says you need an ambulance, you have a valid health card, and the trip begins in ontario, you're covered. Definitely some exceptions though.

if you have a good credit card and booked your travel on it, you may be covered, though you usually have to contact them immediately afterward. Worth checking though.

We drove out there, and the cost of gas, food, smokes and coffee for the trip there and back didn't even come close to the cost of this 15 min. ambulance ride....

thanks buddy, it does say on the back of the bill that if I was not a canadian citizen I would have been paying a thousand.

My non-Canadian ex was visiting about 5 years ago and had a serious reaction to a bee-sting. 911 was called and not only did an ambulance arrive, but also a fully loaded fire truck showed up first. He had no travel insurance and we were almost an hour away from the hospital. The total bill for the emergency room, doctors, nurses, blood tests, medication, and ambulance was less than $400. I thought it was a pretty good deal then, and now I'm thinkin' someone misplaced a decimal.

I wouldn't even wanna know what it costs down here for a ride. I think an unnecessary ER visit starts at around $500 w/out the ambulance ride.(BTW, it's up to the insurance company to decide if your visit was necessary, meaning they'll probably say it wasn't, unless you were near death or had something broken.)

All I know is, i pay almost $200 a month for health insurance, and I gotta pay a $25 copay everytime I see a doctor on top of that. plus, i just got some blood drawn for a physical, but since it was just a check up and nothing's actually wrong with me, i gotta pay $210 for the lab fees. and i got good insurance, too, blue cross blue shield, other insurances would charge more.

Edited by Guest